Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2013, 11:43 AM   #15

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
I don't see how having the tow bar at an angle to the hitch would do this (as described above) if the toad has a proportional braking system. During any type of braking the toad would be pulling back on the motor home as it will try to stop in shorter distance than the heavier motor home would. Of course, if the toad "doesn't" have a braking system, then yeah, I would understand.

Ron
I'm not making it up, read this:
Towing Physics 101

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2013, 05:59 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Oh I believe you read this, but did you noticed that there was only one small mention of a toad brake in the whole article and didn't mention what a difference it would make in the testing? The entire article was tested around NOT having toad brakes.

Like I said, I can understand this requirement .....IF..... the toad doesn't have brakes.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:59 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Oh I believe you read this, but did you noticed that there was only one small mention of a toad brake in the whole article and didn't mention what a difference it would make in the testing? The entire article was tested around NOT having toad brakes.

Like I said, I can understand this requirement .....IF..... the toad doesn't have brakes.

Ron
Supplemental brakes can fail. Either actual failure of the unit, or user error. I think it would be foolish to use a towing setup that doesn't account for possible failures.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:06 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Yes, I agree. My US Gear Unified brake system is now 7 years old and I have had it on three different toads and two motor homes, yet it has worked flawlessly the entire time.....but, the possibility does exist that it might fail one day; hence, why I keep my tow bar as close to level as I can get it.

My point is that it should be mentioned, along with keeping the tow bar level, that the toad supplemental braking system is also equally as important. It is so often lost when discussing this particular subject.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:25 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Doing the base plate install yourself has a lot of body work skills in it. Check out the install instructions to see if you can handle the tasks. The newer cars have a lot of plastic in the front end. Plastic rivets, grilles, bumpers etc. There is a technique I used for lights that involved adding separate sockets for towing lights and wiring them directly. Works nicely and does not interfere with OEM light circuit. Did mine for $400 base plate, $500 tow bar used, $500 brake system used, $100 for lights and misc.
Grn_Mtn_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:33 PM   #20
KIX

Quote:
................My point is that it should be mentioned, along with keeping the tow bar level, that the toad supplemental braking system is also equally as important. It is so often lost when discussing this particular subject. Ron

I agree X2
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing