Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2013, 05:01 PM   #1

Four wheel down towing

Just wondering if anyone would know how much it would cost to set up a 2010 Chevy Cobalt approximatly? Are supplimental braking systems nessesary? Info wold be appreciated.
spectrum581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2013, 05:26 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
How much are you willing to do yourself? A baseplate costs about $400, then that again to install. Tow bar is $600, lights can be $20 (Harbor Freight magnetic) to $120 for diodes and wire harness to use car lights. Again you have to add in for labor to install if you don't DIY.
Braking system is VERY necessary for your safety and others on the road. The Cobalt weighs 2,800 lbs. Auxiliary brakes will make your combined vehicles stop faster and also aid in speed control going down a mountain pass. Even if you squeak under state laws, you can't beat law of physics. It's safer with them. A brake system, according to type you select, can run another $400 - $1200 plus installation.
These prices can be greatly reduced by buying used. I paid full price for a base plate, installed it myself (required removal of front fenders (inner and outer), lights, and bumper. Tow bar was used from Craig's list, Braking system was from Ebay, added my own light sockets and LED lights inside tail lights. All together, about $850.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:21 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Cost me $2700 for new Blue ox tow bar and base plate purchased below retail on eBay and Rvi2 auxiliary brake. Had to have the base plate installed on our 2009 Saturn Vue as it involved removing the front bumper grille and other components. Also had it wired as well at the same time.
mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:24 AM   #4

I know a lot of people on here don't like Camping World but they do offer $29 installation now on anything purchased from them!!
Old 11-29-2013, 03:11 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd want to read the fine print for Camping World's $29.00 installation fee for anything purchased from them. If it includes base mounting plates for tow bars I'd say that is a real bargain, unless they've jacked the price up on mounting plates to compensate for the installation fee. It wouldn't surprise me to find out the average time required for base plate installs is 6 hours or more. As far as the cost of the equipment needed to flat tow goes, I'd guess it can be done for about $1200.00 minimum and up to a few thousand depending on what you buy, and for less if you find used equipment that you like.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:51 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Flat toad caution

Please be aware that toad to motorhome has to be exactly level. (We learned the hard way) by having to change two tires on my new crossover for new tires. They wore uneven and sounded terrible. Make sure you have the right level. Hard lesson learned. Dah!!!
parrett1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:06 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrett1012 View Post
Please be aware that toad to motorhome has to be exactly level. (We learned the hard way) by having to change two tires on my new crossover for new tires. They wore uneven and sounded terrible. Make sure you have the right level. Hard lesson learned. Dah!!!
A height difference between receiver and base plate should be within a couple of inches, as per tow bar manufacturers. The reason is to prevent car from pole-vaulting into rear of the RV (if base plate is higher than receiver) or pushing up on RV's rear and nose diving toad. (if base plate is lower than receiver)

I don't know how height would have anything to do with tire wear.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrett1012 View Post
Sure you did not forget to unlock the steering wheel?? I have some friends who forgot. Really messed up the front tires.
Tow bar being a little out of level would not affect tires at all.
Mine about 4 degrees off and towed four down for over 4 years not problems what so ever.
Traveler52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Blue Ox says the toad end of the towbar should be level to no more than 4" below the receiver.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:01 PM   #10

Check on hitchsource.com. I got my package there with totally free shipping! I had a body shop install the baseplate by the package directions for $100. Camping world wanted $500 with their install special. They charge the fee for EVERY component installed. My total out of pocket for ready brute with blue Ox baseplate was $1700
gthunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:30 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just got a quote to purchase and install a Blue Ox tow bar, base plate and Invisibrake braking system on a 2013 Chevrolet Spark. $3,609.41

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:49 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check out etrailer.com. They are great folks and have some videos of installs on many vehicles. I installed the base plate, wiring and brake for the towed and it was not difficult.
Cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:39 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart View Post
Check out etrailer.com. They are great folks and have some videos of installs on many vehicles. I installed the base plate, wiring and brake for the towed and it was not difficult.
X2 on eTrailer. I ordered from there and found the tow bar for less before it was even shipped. Sent them an email and they refunded me the difference plus 10% the next day. They also provide technical assistance should you need it, and if I have an issue you will always get the same person when you call in so there is no getting anyone up to speed on the issue, they are already familiar with your issue. The best part is, they actually know what you need, no guessing, I needed the guidance as I am a TOAD virgin.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:55 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
[QUOTE=BFlinn181;1826110]The reason is to prevent car from pole-vaulting into rear of the RV (if base plate is higher than receiver) or pushing up on RV's rear and nose diving toad. (if base plate is lower than receiver)QUOTE]

I don't see how having the tow bar at an angle to the hitch would do this (as described above) if the toad has a proportional braking system. During any type of braking the toad would be pulling back on the motor home as it will try to stop in shorter distance than the heavier motor home would. Of course, if the toad "doesn't" have a braking system, then yeah, I would understand.

As for the original question: my friend just outfitted his motor home and toad with a new Roadmaster Falcon AT tow bar, Roadmaster base plate, Roadmaster Invisa Brake for the toad, and all wiring.... installed for $3K.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing