Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-05-2006, 03:15 PM   #1

We currently tow a Saturn sedan four down with Blue Ox equipment and often wish we had a new four wheel drive vehicle that we could tow four down without any speed or distance restrictions. What would you recommend and why? We travel on some pretty wild roads with our Saturn car but kind of scare ourselves sometimes.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2006, 03:15 PM   #2

We currently tow a Saturn sedan four down with Blue Ox equipment and often wish we had a new four wheel drive vehicle that we could tow four down without any speed or distance restrictions. What would you recommend and why? We travel on some pretty wild roads with our Saturn car but kind of scare ourselves sometimes.

Old 03-05-2006, 03:51 PM   #3

It's been discussed on here before.

In my opinion, Jeep is the only way to go and you have many choices. Also, they don't rack up the miles when towing.
<font color="#0000ff">George Eldridge

Cynthia Totten</font>
Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 04:01 PM   #4

Check your same question on the Escapee forum. I answered it there. Good luck.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:08 PM   #5
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hey lkentn,

Well my last toad was 1995 Jeep Wrangler Rio Grand, and my current toad is 2004 Jeep Wrangler-X, so you know what I would pick !! As the others have said the others have more comfort, but nothing beats a Wrangler for off the sales floor off road ability!! Also there is not a better vehicle for site seeing, then going for a ride either on or off road as there is being in a Jeep with no doors or roof!!!! Best of luck with what ever you pick!
Old 03-05-2006, 07:37 PM   #6

Do the Jeeps have automatic transmissions; that is what Margaret wants to drive.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:03 AM   #7

We are on our 2nd. Liberty now. The first one was a bare bones Liberty. This one has lots of goodies: 5(?)CD player, leather seats, sat. radio, power seats, power windows, cruse control and some computer stuff. Yes...they do have the automatic transmision. My wife insisted on it also.

The ride is MUCH better than a wrangler. It has more room and it has a higher ground clearance. Now if they would only make a removable top for it!
Old 03-06-2006, 07:23 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I like the Suzuki Grand Vitara. It's a dandy 4WD toad and bargain priced besides. We had a 2000 4 cylinder and upgraded to a V6 in 2003 (we have Tracker, which was the Chevy leveled version of the GV, no longer available from Chevy). The 2006 Grand Vitaras are sharp looking and come with a 100,000 mile warranty too!

A Liberty is probably a bit superior as an offroad vehicle - it's tough to beat a Jeep product off-road - but the GV is pretty respectable there too. Unless you intend to climb rocky gulches or drive through mud bogs, a GV will nicely serve most off-road needs.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 07:43 AM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

With a diesel pusher,why not consider a diesel Liberty?
If I were fulltiming,I would go this way....Heck,while I have zero issues with the Trailblazer,I wish I would have thought about the CRD when I bought it...

Jeep Liberty CRD
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 11:31 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lkentn:
Do the Jeeps have automatic transmissions; that is what Margaret wants to drive. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, the automatic transmission Jeeps with 4 wheel drive are towable 4 down. Which means that every recent Wrangler is towable 4 down (they are all 4 wheel drive, except the USPS versions).
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 12:58 PM   #11

We have been towing a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee for 5 years 4 down and have been over the Alpine Loop in CO. it has the necessary ground clearance to make the trip with no problems. That is the great thing about the Jeep is you can go off road with out any problems. Just make sure you have a hitch that will pull the weight.

George
Old 03-06-2006, 01:24 PM   #12

Not all Liberty's are 4X4. Don't even try to find a 4X4 Liberty in Florida. I went to a bunch of dealers and all they had was 2 wheel drive. There should be a law against a 2 wheel drive Jeep! So we got ours in Texas!
Old 03-06-2006, 02:39 PM   #13
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hey Terry,
That is one of the good things about being an RVer !! If they don't have what you want where your at, just pick up and move on !!!

LONG LIVE iRV2 !!!
Old 03-06-2006, 04:24 PM   #14
A.J

We leased the 2002 Grand Vitara 4x4 just to make sure it would do what we were told it would do. Our lease is just coming to an end and we had to decide to keep it or buy the 2006 Grand Vitara. All thou the 2006 is bigger and nice looking to boot, it is 1000lbs heaver then 2002 and we would have to buy a new base plate. We decided buy out the 2002 as it has been a GREAT TOAD and have never had any problems with it

Likes: 4 Wheels Down, Will not rack up miles while in tow, Great warranty, have never had any problems with speed or distance restrictions, light to tow and just an overall Great Little SUV to drive on or off road.

We have had 3 other toads and the Suzuki Grand Vitara has been the best.

2006 Magellan 38E/Quad Slide
A.J is offline   Reply With Quote