Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:52 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Here is a link about Used Oil recycling.

The Oil Recycling Process - American Petroleum Institute

Dick

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2010, 08:10 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I would recommend anyone to check and see what Ames oil can do for you. Treats me well and a lot of miles between changes.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:11 PM   #17

Most European/Japanese cars use a computer management technique that looks at various sensors to decide on that oil change miles. Same is true for modern American cars. Over the years these technologies have been incorporated by cummins (they call it the IS series such as ISB, etc) and Cat (C-series) as well as DD. Before they had mechanical engines and oil changes were at 3500mi or so. With the advent of electronic engines and computer management, the oil change intervals has been extended to 15k miles.
For a kicker, you can nowadays drain a sample of oil and send it for analysis and they come back and tell you that your oil is good ...no need to change. So you can even extend the oil drain interval further....ah i must add...not under warranty , like Route66 suggested
Old 04-20-2010, 08:15 PM   #18
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
So you can even extend the oil drain interval further.
Not under warranty.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:46 PM   #19

I'm a DIY'er on the oil changes. I like knowing whats going on under the hood, which keeps me more in tune with what my vehicle is needing - thus creating less AAA situations. That said, I change the class A coach's oil 10-15k depending on towing or mountains, and the truck gets 3-5k depending on same. Using Rotella and Wix filters. BTW there is no easier oil to change than a class A...with its own jacks you can create enough space for a 5 gal. bucket, lazy boy and a flat screen.

I cant see 15k oil changes in a car that holds 5 quarts...not with non-synthetics anyhow and paper filters. Your back to junking engines at 60k in my opinion. At $20 a quart a 3k mile service plan would definitely be cost prohibitive. HOWEVER, a 12,500 kilometer plan would sound very reasonable.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:49 PM   #20

I've managed to get rid of most of my bad habits, but the 3000 mile oil change lives on.

Interestingly, we bought a "oil change service" contract with our 2008 Liberty. The "Oil Change" notice pops up on the dash every 3000 miles. SideRoads manual says 6000 miles. Perhaps I should RTFM.

A local car dealer advertises "Maintenance for Life" for his used car line. It only covers oil changes and the interval is 5000 miles.

A car subjected to stop and go service for the majority of its use should have the oil changed more frequently. A car that does more highway time can go quite a a few more miles. Its the heat cycle (cold to hot to cold, etc) that puts a great strain on oil.

Did some time in Europe. They drive WAY different than we do. They generally don't drive to the local shop. Fuel costs too much. They save the driving for the open road. Less stop and go. Fewer heat cycles.

My Pop told me, if I did nothing else to maintain my car, change the oil regularly. Semi-obedient son that I was, I did what he said. Never had one croak on me. Hardly cause and effect, but it still seems like really good advice.

Steve
Old 05-14-2010, 07:44 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Oil changes

Stop and go driving, not getting warmed up or lots of idling = more frequent oil changes. We run our over road fleet 10,000 miles between changes. Restrict idling times. MH the same way. Normal driving with toad 5000 miles would not be unreasonable. Just my $.02 worth.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:30 PM   #22

I DIY, on my v10 I try to change at 5,000 or one year or as close as possible. Usually do my toad at the same time, with an extra change every now and then.

I remember seeing a "60 minutes" show on this once upon a time. They use cabs in NY City as a test fleet, change oil @3000 on half and Factory recommended on the other half. At 100,000 miles (if memory serves) the engines were torn down. There was no visible difference in the two test groups.

Remember, this was many years ago, and, as they say, "Memory is the second thing to go!"

Harold

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:32 PM   #23

Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Nuttmann
Just read the manual in the car and follow those directions. Don't pay attention to someone who makes their living from changing oil. But do pay attention to the folks that made your car. Over the last few years oil change intervals have been increasing.

I would have a heart failure if I had to pay 20 bucks for a quart of oil. No wonder my ancestors left Switzerland 110 years ago.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:27 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
I was at a Winnebago/Itasca dealer for warranty work recently and got a price on a yearly Lube, oil and filter. $225.00 Of course there are a lot of other things to check on a yearly basis, but I was expecting the LOF to cost a lot more than that. I plan on a complete yearly service to keep my warranty in effect. I think my generator service goes by hours of use, but I have to check that out to be sure.

Happy travels, Joe
Old 10-22-2010, 07:28 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
My 2008 Jeep Laredo with M.B. diesel in it, 3 litre engine, shows oil change once a year or 20,000 kilometers [12,500 miles]. It holds 9 and half litres, [10 quarts]. SAE 5W30. Here in canada at Walmart is $50 dollars per 18 liter pail.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:22 AM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
My father in law used to say that reengineered used motor oil was better than the original product? I never saw any for sale so never knew if he was right or not. Anyone else ever hear of used motor oil that's been made like new again?
There was a time when motor oil was just oil and they use to filter the contaminents out of it and reuse it. These also were times when cars didn't have oil filters. Todays oils if you want to call it that(they now call them lubricants)are made to keep the engine clean and operating with the least amount of wear and the engines are built to use these lubricants. This is why you can drive a car for well over 100K miles with proper maint. with very few problems. In the 50s&60s if your car had 75K miles on it it was ready for an overhaul. In my opinion and I have dedicated most of my life to auto and truck repair 3K miles is too often to change your oil unless all you do is start and stop city driving and 7K is too log. Remember this is only my opinion but I think that 5K mile oil changes is about right for all around driving(city and interstate)and if you only drive interstates you can let it go a little longer. Most long hall trucks change oil at 10K miles but they have a lot more oil in them than your car.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:12 PM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I remember the 3000 mile oil change started as part of the business plan for Jiffy Lube. It then was picked up by others who do oil change service. As was said it makes more money for the company that changes your oil.
Most car manuals still allow 5000 mi to 7500 mi change interval depending on how the vehicle is used.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:46 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed racer View Post
There was a time when motor oil was just oil and they use to filter the contaminents out of it and reuse it. These also were times when cars didn't have oil filters. Todays oils if you want to call it that(they now call them lubricants)are made to keep the engine clean and operating with the least amount of wear and the engines are built to use these lubricants. This is why you can drive a car for well over 100K miles with proper maint. with very few problems. In the 50s&60s if your car had 75K miles on it it was ready for an overhaul. In my opinion and I have dedicated most of my life to auto and truck repair 3K miles is too often to change your oil unless all you do is start and stop city driving and 7K is too log. Remember this is only my opinion but I think that 5K mile oil changes is about right for all around driving(city and interstate)and if you only drive interstates you can let it go a little longer. Most long hall trucks change oil at 10K miles but they have a lot more oil in them than your car.
Well written speed racer.
In the days of 3000 mile oil changes the engine tolerances were not nearly as close as they are today. Thus now allowing for thinner more energy saving oil and the fact that engine oil was not nearly as well refined as it is today.
I use synthetic oil in every engine I own except my slow rpm Ford 2810 farm tractor.
-1996 Dodge Cummins 181k Rotella fully synthetic changed @ 10k. NO problems
-1996 Buick Regal 3.8 165k Gets cheap fully synthetic wally world super tech ea. 5k. No problems.
-2007 Ridgeline 40k Mobile one, to new to give an observation. Changed when it tells me to.
-2004 Ford explorer 4.0 81k just purchased one year ago. My first ford and I hope it lasts. fully synthetic mobile one @ 10k.
Another reason I use synthetic oil. If an engine were to loose its coolant and "run hot" I more than likely would only have to replace head gaskets and maybe a head unless I drove it until it seized,,,duh. With standard oil, the rings and bearings would suffer causing a majaor engine overhaul.
Don't forget to service your tranny guys. A tranny rebuild these days cost as much as some engines. I have never had one rebuilt, but the Dodge is getting ready for a tranny rebuild and power upgrade from the world famous "Jeff Garmons" diesel shop in Griffin Ga.

Beauregard is offline   Reply With Quote