Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2016, 09:06 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
FRIDAY THE 13th strikes drive shaftl

We have been towing our little 2012 ford escape since we purchased it in 2012. Despite the horror stories of the engine blowing up, we have not had any trouble. We stop every 2 hours to run the motor, move the transmission through the gears to keep the transmission fluid circulating. Today we hooked up in Phoenix, headed for Kingman and just as we got to our rv park, about 2.5 hrs out, a lady was pointing to the rear of out coach. My DH pulled into a large open lot just down from our park. We decided to see what was wrong. Nothing apparent was visible. So as it was a bit over due, we went to start the car, nothing, not even a click. Drug out the battery charger, turned the genny on and plugged her onto the car battery. 15 minutes later,we had lights but the engine wouldn't turn over. Called GS roadside and they sent out a tow truck to give us a heavier jump. Still nothing. Meanwhile, Pat Hall from Mikes pow-r-tow got curious about some orangey oil all over our cars rear end. He plopped down on the ground to look and the next thing was"Holy Cow!" "Your rear end and drive shaft are missing" without those parts the battery apparently shuts down. So two more rds with GS we finally got through to someone who could change the jump to a tow. The car has now been taken to Anderson Ford in Kingman. We will stop tomorrow to see what can be done. Talk about a Friday the 13th bad luck. You can see where it should be in the picture. No damage to the car or tires. It just fell off somewhere. No bad roads, no bumps, nothing that should have done this. We and Pat are mystified as is the Ford service person Jason.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1463195013605.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	126932  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2016, 12:50 AM   #2

You sure it was awd model? They come in 2wd which is just front wheel drive... No rear end or drive shaft in those models.

Even if it came off somehow you would have the half-shafts and CV flying around.... serious damage if those where flying around when a rear end fell out...
thedjjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 01:12 AM   #3

Just watching
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 01:44 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Old 05-14-2016, 07:19 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We will find out when we get to the dealership. DH said it was 4wd. If we didn't loose something, then where did the oil coating come from? There was nothing on the sides of the car, nor was there any on the coach if we had run over fresh oil. The roads were dry. No construction that was using oil. Just the whole rear end of the escape. We checked the oil in front and it was fine as was the transmission fluid. This was a orangey colored oil, that Pat said looked like differential fluid. We are puzzled. The other odd thing, we had driven the car alot while in Phoenix, no leaks on the ground. Will see what Ford says.
Old 05-14-2016, 07:37 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Old 05-14-2016, 07:38 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The lady that pointed to signal you most likely saw the parts fall off. Otherwise, how did she know?
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 11:19 AM   #8

I don't see any half shafts going out to the rear wheels.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:02 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Make sure the Ford dealer carefully checks out the transmission and transfer case. If they are lubed by spinning the rear driveshaft, then you may have internal issues, once that driveshaft escaped your Escape.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 06:47 PM   #10

I believe the rear drive shaft is a two piece unit with a center support bearing. I don't see that either.

Can't wait for the report from Ford.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 06:15 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry to hear about the Bad Luck, but on a side note. If you go to replace it DON'T but one of the newer designed Escapes. They are NOT flat towable. I just thought I would let you know before you bought one.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:51 AM   #12

It was Friday the 13th, not April 1st. Your car is front wheel drive. If you had a rear shaft and 3rd member "fall out" there would be catastrophic damage. Orange fluid is from the tranny, My guess is it is fried. Next time buy a Honda.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost I View Post
The lady that pointed to signal you most likely saw the parts fall off. Otherwise, how did she know?
Her windshield was propably covered with transmission fluid?
Stevie3508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:11 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Ok, DH was wrong, we do have a front wheel drive Escape. The transmission got fried. But to look at the underneath rear end, it was exceptionally clean where a rear differential should have been. It gave the appearance that something had fallen off.
Anyways, Ford is going to fix it, bad thing it is going to take a bit of time.
I am not sure why it blew, I had researched our Escape to see if it needed to have a aftermarket pump put on. It had been manufactured prior to the engine that fried in a matter of a few miles. We have about 30k of towed miles on it with out problems. We would stop about every 2 hours, run the car for 5 minutes, move the shifter to reverse, drive ,neutral and back through them again to move the fluid around. I also had my ford dealership check the fluid regularly to make sure it was not low or was becoming burned.