Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2016, 08:16 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Front film protection for toad

We have Diamond Shield film on the front of our RV to prevent stone damage. Has their been any experience is using this concept on the toad. How successful is the technique and are there installers who specialize in this application or is it something owners do themselves?
rg neumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2016, 08:31 PM   #2

The type of car makes a big difference but many don't bother with that on the toad. There are OEM products but as you can imagine, very spendy. And not all vehicles have the shield stuff available, because it's sort of custom, and a small market. Instead, people usually go with some type of fabric shield that is placed on/under the tow bar...a protective screen.

I published an article (with links to commercial products - that I have no commercial interest in) about that sort of stuff not too long ago that might be of some help. The screen info is near the bottom of the rather lengthy article...

Towing...

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:36 AM   #3

I use a Protect a Tow and Road Wrap. The Road Wrap is applied to the front of the fenders, an area not covered well by the Protect a Tow. The Road Wrap is a heavy film with adhesive back. It is not a permanent application. I have left it on for 5 days with no problems. I comes in rolls like saran wrap. I get it from Amazon. Works well for me but some claim it has pulled paint. No rock chips in 10,000 miles.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:38 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had the 3M film installed by my tint guy, it was spend at $700 but it was a new vehicle and I have the whole front end done. I also had parts of the doors, mirrors, and headlights done. The place I use has to cut it on site with a computer setup for an exact fit. I has held up well with no peeling or discoloration over the last 18 months.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:10 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I can't see how the film could protect the toad against rock chips! The front of the MH is a totally different application.

I use the UltraGuard solid rubber flap on the rear of the MH hanging 6" above the ground, with the Protect-A-Tow mesh shield between the MH and toad. We've never had a single ding on the toad!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:38 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I've been experimenting with the "Road Wrap" purchased on Amazon. I like the product and so far it has worked well. I can cover pretty much all of the painted area with about a 4' piece. The roll has 100'. I bought one of their smaller 6" rolls, (which is really their 100' x 18" roll cut into three pieces) and run a strip across the top edge of the hood, overlapping the lower piece and it stays on well. You can even cut out the center section (radiator cooling) and drive around with the stuff on for things like a quick run to the store. Once were at destination where we'll be for several days, I remove it the wrap and throw t away.

On all my other vehicles that I towed, I always bought a bra, but it was a pain when it rained or got dirt building up behind it.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad