Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:20 PM   #1

Front tire wear

Just returned from wintering in Fl. I tow a 2004 Jeep Liberty 4X4 with a Readybrute/Readybrake tow system. This was my third trip to Fl towing this unit. When I drove the Jeep the next day I noticed the Jeep sounded a bit loud going down the road. I checked the tires when I got back to the house & noticed the outside edges were scuffed & sounding like snow tires! Any idea what would cause this problem? I checked tire pressure & have a TST system to monitor press & temp. Every rest stop I checked the tow bar, cables & tires & saw no visible sign of problems. We've towed this Jeep to from Maine to Fl & back with no problems.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

If outer edges (only) on both sides are worn, it suggests too much toe in (alignment). Maybe you hit something and knocked Jeep front end off a bit? Or maybe the steering is just wiggling back and forth a bit, but that usually shows scuffing on both inner and outer edges on both tires.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrypair View Post
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Scalloping of the outside edges of a towed vehicle's front tires can, and frequently is, caused by the RV driver starting to make a turn, especially a sharp turn, before the towed vehicles front tires have rolled forward enough allow the caster built into the towed vehicles suspension to force the front tires to turn enough to follow the RV. Think of turning a grocery cart before any forward motion.

This failure to roll forward enough to allow the caster action results in the towed being drug sideways until the forward roll makes the tires reorient themselves to the turn.

This condition is especially abusive if the RV has a lot of overhang behind the rear axle.

ALWAYS roll the RV and towed forward before starting any turn.

To check yourself, if you have a back up camera and can see your towed, tie a white rag to the top of the towed's steering wheel. If the rotation of the steering wheel is not immediate when you are starting a turn, the towed is behing drug sideways.

Tim
Old 05-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healeyman View Post

Scalloping of the outside edges of a towed vehicle's front tires can, and frequently is, caused by the RV driver starting to make a turn, especially a sharp turn, before the towed vehicles front tires have rolled forward enough allow the caster built into the towed vehicles suspension to force the front tires to turn enough to follow the RV. Think of turning a grocery cart before any forward motion.

This failure to roll forward enough to allow the caster action results in the towed being drug sideways until the forward roll makes the tires reorient themselves to the turn.

This condition is especially abusive if the RV has a lot of overhang behind the rear axle.

ALWAYS roll the RV and towed forward before starting any turn.

To check yourself, if you have a back up camera and can see your towed, tie a white rag to the top of the towed's steering wheel. If the rotation of the steering wheel is not immediate when you are starting a turn, the towed is behing drug sideways.

Tim
I aM having the same issue with my 2005 Liberty has anyone heard of changing the tiRes to something othEr than Goodyear to solve this issue ?
Old 05-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had similar sounds and wear....since about 98000 real miles and another 18000 towing it.

Turns out my right front wheel bearing was shot and needed replacing.

Bought hub assemblies for both sides along with front struts and rear shocks and brakes n rotors. All from Rock Auto.com.

The R&R wasn't too difficult. Jeep wanted about $750 for just the right front bearing. I got all the stuff above for about $850.

Get a good alignment afterwards.
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrobinryan View Post
I had similar sounds and wear....since about 98000 real miles and another 18000 towing it.

Turns out my right front wheel bearing was shot and needed replacing.

Bought hub assemblies for both sides along with front struts and rear shocks and brakes n rotors. All from Rock Auto.com.

The R&R wasn't too difficult. Jeep wanted about $750 for just the right front bearing. I got all the stuff above for about $850.

Get a good alignment afterwards.
l am getting all kind of finger painting from jeep . They say it can't be towed or my tow bar is the problem . l have 50 K on the jeep phus 50 K towed . ALL oRIGINAL STRuts and front end .