Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-15-2015, 01:09 PM   #29

My preference would be with the convertible sports type if you plan to stay on good roads and one of the smaller Geo 4WD vehicles if a little off-roading will be thrown in. I prefer the Geos because they're smaller, lighter, and more economical than Jeeps, but that's just my preference. I have a brother who likes Jeeps as much as I like Geos. We pulled a Samurai for years before getting a Tracker which has more "creature comforts" as a friend once put it. We also have a Triumph Spitfire (Spit 6) that I would like to tow, probably on the dolly, but off-roading for fishing, exploring, etc. always seems to win out.

As the map shows, areas to camp and explore are almost unlimited in the Western US, and very limited in the East because of the availability of public lands.

Best of luck with the choice.

Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2015, 03:15 PM   #30
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two words...Tandem Dolly
Tow ANY of the thousands of front wheel drive cars with no mods to the car -and - carry the bike(s) safe on the front of the dolly. And, brakes are on the dolly for that added safety...like:
TOW DOLLY
Or
Landgrebe Mfg. Inc.
Or others...

And the benefits of a dolly are; change cars at any time with no issues and no need to mod the car, no miles added to the car's lower driveline, little or no rock strikes on the front of the car.

And before the dolly haterz chime-in...when parked, the dolly can be slid under most RV's overhang, they back-up just like flat towing (very little if you are able to do it) and the cost is about the same as a "full " flat tow set-up (with proportional brakes).

What ever you do, please get brakes on the toad. They are not required in some places, but you will drive into areas that require brakes. And it is obviously safer with brakes.

Safe travels

Best luck

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 03:56 PM   #31

I don't want to take over the OP's thread... but I'd like to add the following to his "wish list" (seeing as he said, under $40K)

I'm looking for the combination - Cheap, Fun & Easy to tow

We typically will trailer our HD, but I am on the verge of having a 16 yr old.. I'm looking to add another car and wouldn't mind making it something that would be easy to attach to the RV.. keeping it fun.. and cheap..

On the "easy to tow" part - I really don't want to do anything to it.. literally hook it up and go.. no detaching the drive shaft, no transmission pump, no nothing !!

I don't mind going with an older car.. it won't be my main mode of transportation.. but in the off event we want a car, rather than the bike, I'd like to have an option !!

Thanks.. sorry for hi-jacking the thread !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:58 PM   #32

I think it all depends on what fun means to you. Is it 4WD fun, or top down driving limited to well maintained roads? My preference in toads has been Geo vehicles, Samurai, Tracker (4WDs),and a Metro. With a manual transmission they hook up and go, with a few reservations like towed speed and starting the engine occasionally to circulate gearbox lubricants as specified in the owners manuals. IMHO, they are fun, cheap, and easy to tow (light). They will be older and do not tolerate salted roads well because of the lighter materials they are made from, just a thought for "rust belt' inhabitants. Oregon does not use salt. Our Metro is a '94, weights around 1700-1800 lbs. and has AC with mileage in the 40s. Our Tracker is a '92 and weights around 2200-2300 lbs. with mileage at 26-32 depending on use. Either are available in convertible or hardtop. We also have racks on the front and back of the Tracker for his-hers Honda CT 90s for logging road, hunting, and fishing activities. I don't know how it would work with a Harley because of the weight, but there are ramp affairs that go on the back of MHs that would allow taking both the bike and toad. I'm currently working on how to do that with our Tracker and Honda Silverwing. On the last few OR-WV trips we took our Honda S 90 on the back of the Tracker(worked great at EAA Oshkosh), but a larger bike would be more versitle.

Just my 2c.

Steve
Old 11-18-2015, 07:59 AM   #33

Fun is fun... I'm not particularly opposed to any car/truck/4x4...

However, seeing as I am adding a 16yr old to my insurance policy... I'm a bit concerned about adding a Jeep/4x4... I'm hearing 4x4 and teenage boy don't mix particularly well on an insurance policy..

So.. I'm open to just about anything, not ruling anything out.. just need to check with my agent before I purchase anything.. I guess my main concern/wish would be the ease of hook up.. as I've said before.. I really would like to hook-n-go... just not sure if that is available...
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 01:40 PM   #34

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacay Wheels View Post
If I were buying a toad purely on fun to drive, it would be Subaru WRX for sure.
Subaru WRX Reviews - Subaru WRX Price, Photos, and Specs - Car and Driver

I feel like it's the best we can do for fun to drive toads until the VW GTI is towable...
I bought a 2016 WRX in October just to pull behind a MotorHome that I was going to buy. Purchased the MotorHome in December and did our first trip pulling the WRX. depending on what kind of fun your are looking for the WRX is a great car.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:02 PM   #35

I'm not sure if you've bought a toad yet, but if you haven't and you're looking for something new, the choices are limited compared to previous years. Many vehicles are no longer on the approved list, likely due to transmission or drivetrain changes.

I was also looking for something fun to tow behind the MH. We had just purchased an Audi TT Roadster last summer, but cannot flat-tow it. I considered a flatbed trailer, but it's a pain to store at campsites or resorts. In the "fun" category, I narrowed it down the the Subaru WRX STI, and the Jeep Wrangler. I test drove the WRX multiple times, but the deal breaker there was that the pushbutton start plus navigation that I wanted would be problematic for the steering lock. The accessory position (one press of the start button) would shut off after about 15 minutes if the vehicle wasn't started, locking the steering wheel. The only way to get a keyed ignition was to go down a model and lose the navigation. Hence, the Jeep.

Jeeps are a ton of fun. They are not fast, nor are they plush. But they can switch from a huge sunroof to convertible to no doors (or windshield), and are good in the snow. Simple yet fun. Let us know what you end up with, or if you've already purchased something, what you bought.
Barmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 06:39 AM   #36

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmats View Post
I'm not sure if you've bought a toad yet, but if you haven't and you're looking for something new, the choices are limited compared to previous years. Many vehicles are no longer on the approved list, likely due to transmission or drivetrain changes.

I was also looking for something fun to tow behind the MH. We had just purchased an Audi TT Roadster last summer, but cannot flat-tow it. I considered a flatbed trailer, but it's a pain to store at campsites or resorts. In the "fun" category, I narrowed it down the the Subaru WRX STI, and the Jeep Wrangler. I test drove the WRX multiple times, but the deal breaker there was that the pushbutton start plus navigation that I wanted would be problematic for the steering lock. The accessory position (one press of the start button) would shut off after about 15 minutes if the vehicle wasn't started, locking the steering wheel. The only way to get a keyed ignition was to go down a model and lose the navigation. Hence, the Jeep.

Jeeps are a ton of fun. They are not fast, nor are they plush. But they can switch from a huge sunroof to convertible to no doors (or windshield), and are good in the snow. Simple yet fun. Let us know what you end up with, or if you've already purchased something, what you bought.
My WRX has push button start and Nav and I have not experienced this issue. Before i purchased the car I received an email from Subaru stating it could be flat towed without any issues. I was concerned about the new electric steering but was told no issue.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:42 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by franktr View Post
My WRX has push button start and Nav and I have not experienced this issue. Before i purchased the car I received an email from Subaru stating it could be flat towed without any issues. I was concerned about the new electric steering but was told no issue.
The STI I was looking at was a 2015 model. I wonder if something. Hanged with the 2016 model year. Or if the dealer was wrong...?
Barmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 07:52 AM   #38

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmats View Post
The STI I was looking at was a 2015 model. I wonder if something. Hanged with the 2016 model year. Or if the dealer was wrong...?
I called Subaru yesterday and referred to there Oct email told them your story and they will respond by the 27th. Let's see.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:44 PM   #39

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
I called Subaru yesterday and referred to there Oct email told them your story and they will respond by the 27th. Let's see.
Will after 3 weeks waiting Subaru called me Friday evening asking me to call the Manager. This didn't sound good so I call this morning and was told you cannot tow a push button start Subaru. I went through the first email I received and the money I spend to have it able to be towed. They knew all of that and offered to buy me a trailer. I said it I want a trailer I would have kept my Acura. Next question what can we do to make you happy. Give us the cost to transfer the towing parts to another car and find out what the dealer will charge to get a replacement car without push start and give me the number?

What do you think? Remember before I purchased this car I sent and received an email from Subaru Corporate stating as long as it is a manual car you can tow it.

MORE TO FOLLOW
Old 03-16-2016, 03:31 PM   #40

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Will after 3 weeks waiting Subaru called me Friday evening asking me to call the Manager. This didn't sound good so I call this morning and was told you cannot tow a push button start Subaru. I went through the first email I received and the money I spend to have it able to be towed. They knew all of that and offered to buy me a trailer. I said it I want a trailer I would have kept my Acura. Next question what can we do to make you happy. Give us the cost to transfer the towing parts to another car and find out what the dealer will charge to get a replacement car without push start and give me the number?

What do you think? Remember before I purchased this car I sent and received an email from Subaru Corporate stating as long as it is a manual car you can tow it.

MORE TO FOLLOW

Final answer from Subaru they do not recommend towing any 2016 Subaru
Old 03-16-2016, 03:46 PM   #41

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:

MORE TO FOLLOW
With our '05 Ody I got it in writing on Honda letterhead that it was towable four down. Then they told us it wasn't so I sent their legal dept a copy of the letter. Got the CA and OR (where we bought it) involved and Honda ended up paying us back for all the equipment and installation labor for the towing gear. We bought a KK-460 dolly and towed with it for a while. Now we've gone back to 4 down and have had no trouble in at least 30,000 miles of 4 down.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 03:51 PM   #42

Quote:
Final answer from Subaru they do not recommend towing any 2016 Subaru
Standard legal argument is never to say something IS capable because then you're liable if something happens.

Subaru has been getting out of the flat tow business for a couple years, since they've eliminated the manual transmission on various models. They probably view the rewards not worth the effort.

Tags
toad