Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:49 AM   #43

Texas Boomers Club
Subaru has now agreed to buy back the car. The car has 4500 miles details to be determined. Now to find a towable car. Looking at a 2014 Honda CR-V a big difference from the WRX

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2016, 03:11 PM   #44

Forest River Owners Club
Mini cooper...... Mini cooper.... Mini cooper......

Old 04-12-2016, 10:14 AM   #45

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here is what I plan on towing while DW and I transition to full timing, a 1987 Suzuki Samurai "tintop". Bought it off a guy who did a lot of "pretty" work in that he had a quick spray job done (funny enough, it is Jeep Anvil Blue ). I had grand plans on swapping the engine for a VW AHU 1.9L diesel, but there are just too many projects right now for us. So I have it in the shop with a mechanic friend to go over some issues, main goal is to make it road worthy both driving and being flat towed.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:24 AM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Having been in a couple of Honda toads, both the crv and Odyssey, I consider neither a fun car - especially the back seat of the crv... and the one I rode in was the 'large' later one

No complaints about my jeeps back seat... in fact, there are a lot of laughs and giggles off road!

Someone asked about where to go off road ?
EVERY area has a jeep or ATV club/facebook page that can tell you.

Heck, this one near Asheville, NC was on my GPS
Old 04-12-2016, 11:51 PM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
There was a guy parked next to us at Ho Hum RV Resort in Carrabelle, FL this winter who had what had to be the best "toad" I've seen so far - a little Maserati convertible. It was a gorgeous little vehicle that must have been a blast to drive! Unfortunately, he damaged the right front quarter of the car when he managed to hit a bear crossing the highway a couple of miles from the campground a few days before we arrived. Fortunately, it was duct tape to the rescue .... a few strips was all he needed to hold the damage together until he got it back home. I can only imagine the story our neighbor can now spin having crunched his Maserati by hitting a bear while schlepping the car around as a "toad" while camping.
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:27 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehmia View Post
Here is what I plan on towing while DW and I transition to full timing, a 1987 Suzuki Samurai "tintop". Bought it off a guy who did a lot of "pretty" work in that he had a quick spray job done (funny enough, it is Jeep Anvil Blue ). I had grand plans on swapping the engine for a VW AHU 1.9L diesel, but there are just too many projects right now for us. So I have it in the shop with a mechanic friend to go over some issues, main goal is to make it road worthy both driving and being flat towed.

I was going to convert mine with a 1.6 TD years ago. In order to utilize the efficiency of the engine and get a little speed from the Sami you will need to change the transfer case gearing, at least if your VW gets it's torque where mine did. The Sami transfer case reduces the input about 2:1. I bought a transfer case from a Nissan that was 1:1. I may still have it, but I think I sold it when I decided against doing the conversion after determining the engine I bought that was supposed to be good, wasn't. I just didn't want to spend the money for an rebuild. If you're interested I'll look to see if it is still here. I think what you're proposing would produce a very good rig. I didn't think Sami's 1.3 engine was very powerful. We eventually ended up with a '92 Tracker, but I hung on to the Sami for a year or two before deciding to sell it.

Our Sami was a soft top and I eventually got a removable hard top for it. The Tracker is a tin top. I think I like the tin top better.

Another thing you may be interested in is a driveshaft disconnect that is made by Trail Tough Suzuki. I towed mine from OR to WV and back before deciding to get it. We were making that trip about every year so I decided it would probably be better for the Sami with the disconnect.

Another popular conversion is with the Tracker engines.

IMHO, a very nice toad!

Steve
Old 04-13-2016, 09:01 PM   #49

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Love my Scion xB manual--fun to drive, plenty of room, over 30 mpg!
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:04 PM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
I was going to convert mine with a 1.6 TD years ago. In order to utilize the efficiency of the engine and get a little speed from the Sami you will need to change the transfer case gearing, at least if your VW gets it's torque where mine did. The Sami transfer case reduces the input about 2:1. I bought a transfer case from a Nissan that was 1:1. I may still have it, but I think I sold it when I decided against doing the conversion after determining the engine I bought that was supposed to be good, wasn't. I just didn't want to spend the money for an rebuild. If you're interested I'll look to see if it is still here. I think what you're proposing would produce a very good rig. I didn't think Sami's 1.3 engine was very powerful. We eventually ended up with a '92 Tracker, but I hung on to the Sami for a year or two before deciding to sell it.

Our Sami was a soft top and I eventually got a removable hard top for it. The Tracker is a tin top. I think I like the tin top better.

Another thing you may be interested in is a driveshaft disconnect that is made by Trail Tough Suzuki. I towed mine from OR to WV and back before deciding to get it. We were making that trip about every year so I decided it would probably be better for the Sami with the disconnect.

Another popular conversion is with the Tracker engines.

IMHO, a very nice toad!

Steve
Thanks! Glad to run into another Samurai fan. The drive shaft disconnect idea is great, I was planning on wrenching it but this seems much nicer.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:07 AM   #51

I think I bought my disconnect about 15 years ago, so I hope he still has them. It bolts on the back of the transfer case and I liked it better than the Remco I installed on the Tracker that is back near the differential. It was easier to install and engagement is more positive. Just pull a lever as compared with a cable operation for the Remco. I bought one of the first that he had made.

A search for Trail Tough Suzuki will pull up the website. If you're interested in the disconnect, or anything else Samurai, talk to Brent, he is the owner and is very knowledgeable about Samurais.

I think you'll enjoy the Sami. It really looks like a nice one.

Steve

Tags
toad