Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:59 AM   #1

Fun Toad

Now that the mortgage paying chapter is officially closed, a Class A looms on the horizon, which will likely be a Newmar gasser since my books don't quite sell well enough for a new DP .

With that in mind, I'm doing a bit of looking around for a fun toad. Not some boring blue-haired sedan, a soccer momster taxi, nor another pick-up. I've had enough of those in my life (and still do). I'm wanting something that helps me step away from reality. That's what vacations are about .

A couple of things to keep in mind (some of it relevant, some of it just rambling):

I will be buying new (coach and toad). I've got plenty of years of data beneath my belt to justify this decision based on my lifestyle. I have never bought a vehicle, or camper, where I kept it for a short enough time that resale value was a factor.

I'm not interested in a toad that will require a lot of extra work to prep it. I'm not old, but I am old enough to appreciate the simpler things in life.

The vehicle won't be driven much aside from our trips. I typically put more miles on my motorcycle than I do on my cage. (the tires will dry rot before they log their warranteed miles)

Flat tow is simple; Jeep Wrangler. (just a few bolts and drilled holes away from ready) And quite honestly, I'm leaning this way, but I'm fishing for other ideas.

A lot of trips we'll just trailer the bike and leave the toad behind, but sometimes that's just not feasible. So my wife tells me .

What I'm looking for is something with no more than two doors, rag top would be fun, but not a requirement, and can be dollied without ripping apart the spoilers. All the while, keeping it south of $40k

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2015, 08:56 AM   #2

We have a 97 VW Cabrio convert - love the top down lifestyle since most of our time in MH is I warm climes......do look for a rag top - you won't regret it. Happy Trails to you.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:05 AM   #3

We use a 1995 Toyota Celica GT convertible.. fun fun car.. We have teased that we can drive it with the top down and wear our motorcyle helmets.. As our Goldwing is safe and warm at home in our garage..
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:15 AM   #4

Manx dune buggy. Can't be more fun.. or more simple than that. Nothing a screwdriver and pliers can't fix.
Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:21 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Mini Cooper S convertible. I have an '06 that I just love to bits. Haven't set it up for toad yet, but plenty of others have...

Happy buying!

2000 Jayco 3230K Designer
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:24 AM   #6

I was at biketoberfest a couple of weeks ago and a guy had a Polaris RZR that had been made street legal. I got to thinking, it's light, its fun, and its reasonably fuel efficient. It has plenty of power for short highway stints and enough cargo space for a shopping trip. I am seriously considering doing this. If you ride, it might appeal to you too.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:27 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Fiat 500 C convertible, 5 speed manual transmission - tows flat with key out. The canvas top goes all the way back to right above the tail lights its kind of like a fabric super size sun-roof. The fact the sides are solid above the windows keeps the car very stiff.

Blue Ox makes a base plate which I had that worked great. I flat towed one, a 2013, for about 10,000 miles but recently sold it. Very zippy with the 5 speed manual, fun to drive. Turns corners on rails. Now I flat tow a more practical but also more boring 4 door Honda HR-V.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1642.JPG
Views:	865
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	110652   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1643.JPG
Views:	888
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	110653  

powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:31 AM   #8

Don't mess around with others...

Get the original machine that wrote the book!

Of course we're biased!!!! We LOVE Jeeps! The issue I see for you is you mention a dolly... you can't dolly tow a Wrangler unless you pull the rear driveshaft.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
Fiat 500 C convertible, 5 speed manual transmission - tows flat with key out. The canvas top goes all the way back to right above the tail lights its kind of like a fabric super size sun-roof. The fact the sides are solid above the windows keeps the car very stiff.

Blue Ox makes a base plate which I had that worked great. I flat towed one, a 2013, for about 10,000 miles but recently sold it. Very zippy with the 5 speed manual, fun to drive. Turns corners on rails. Now I flat tow a more practical but also more boring 4 door Honda HR-V.

And for even more fun driving... GET THE ABARTH version!!!

Different engine, different brakes, insanely fun to drive. This is my daily driver. My last vehicle was an Acura RDX, and I don't miss it!
Old 10-29-2015, 09:43 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jeep. Get off the beaten path, literally. (-:
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:51 AM   #11

Jeep Rubicon 4dr & Kia Soul, we flip a coin when leaving.
Old 10-29-2015, 12:00 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
2 door Jeep Wangler. Go anywhere and look cool doing it!!!
Crabb E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 12:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrocker View Post
What I'm looking for is something with no more than two doors, rag top would be fun, but not a requirement, and can be dollied without ripping apart the spoilers. All the while, keeping it south of $40k
Fun.... You want FUN???

We tow a supercharged Mazda Miata. 2 seater, 6 speed manual, RETRACTABLE hardtop.

I have towed 3 Miatas over 50,000 miles and ALWAYS wearing a BIG grin.

We always get longing looks and thumbs up from other RVers as they climb in and out of their Saturns and Jeeps.

PM me if you want more information about towing a Miata.

Tim

Old 10-30-2015, 08:20 AM   #14

You need to decide, if you want to go trail riding or off roading, or you want a sports car. We have a 2dr. JK Jeep that we tow and have been off roading several times and enjoyed it. With the Jeep you can get off road and see some wonderful sights. But I will admit there are times I would love to be in a sports car with the top down. Because you have a bike the Jeep may be your best choice that will give you the best of both worlds.

Tags
toad