Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2016, 12:09 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Fuse blowing - new thing - Brake Buddy

I tow a Chevy Malibu Maxx with my 2004 Sea Breeze, I use a Brake Buddy Vantage Select braking system. Have been using this for over a year now, and no issues. Last trip I put the unit in place and ran the auto function, (for non-users the system pumps up air pressure and applies the brake 5 times to bleed air out of car's brake booster) it pumped up to pressure and started the brake application sequence, applied brake 5 times, stopped and pump ran to bring back up to pressure and as soon as the pump stops the unit goes dead. I go check and the fuse is blown in the car (lighter circuit, 20A). I replaced the fuse and the same sequence took place 3 more times until I ran out of fuses.

Now knowing that the unit is fused inline with a 15A fuse, I am baffled why this is occurring. Over the past year it only blew the car fuse one other time when I had left the phone charger plugged in the same circuit, but after that I replaced fuse and it worked fine up until this last trip.

Aside from running a dedicated line for the BB, I am unsure what to do. Thought about upping the fuse to 25A since the inline fuse of the BB would protect it, and I don't use anything else in that circuit but the phone charger when driving the car. No one ever uses cigarette lighter so not sure that 25A in there would be dangerous.

Thoughts?????
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2016, 01:22 PM   #2

Plug something else in, to see if it is the Brake Buddy or the Car.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:30 PM   #3

Check the fuses and the fuse holder contacts for any signs of arcing or corrosion or heating up.
After 15 years of use, I had to replace the BB fuse as it was corroded.

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:58 PM   #4

The compressor on my BrakeBuddy died and I had to send the unit to the factory for a compressor replacement. Unfortunately, they won't sell parts to DIYers. Is it possible that your compressor has a problem and is pulling too many amps? BrakeBuddy asked me what kind of toad I had and I told them it was a Honda CR-V (my previous CR-V was a 2002 model). They said that they had problems with CR-Vs and they gave me a direct to battery wiring kit when they returned my repaired BB unit. I know you don't have a CR-V, but perhaps a direct wiring kit will help in the future. I transferred my direct wiring kit to my new 2014 CR-V.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:07 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Want to resurrect this thread - fuse issue

Trying to avoid the need to run dedicated line to power my Brake Buddy. I have used it for some time with no issue, and then it started to blow fuse (cigarette lighter and 12V DC outlets) in car. I replaced fuse, 20A, and unit will pump up OK then when I press auto test, on first restart of compressor it blows fuse. Put it in my truck, which I do not tow, and works OK. My thinking is trying a 25A fuse in the car. I had the fuse blowing issue once in the past, but turned out kids had left phone charger in rear outlet unknown to me, so that little bit of extra load blew the 20A fuse when the BB ran. Since the BB has an inline fuse (20A) I do not see harm in trying a 25 in the outlet fuse. Fuse panel in this particular car is all the way in the rear, and outlet I use is in dash. I am thinking length of run might be a little too much resistance for the fuse, with near capacity load, as car and wiring ages.

Also, as CampDaven suggested, I have checked fuse in line an is ok, no corrosion or signs of arcing.

Thougths????
Old 08-19-2016, 01:19 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Tried as mentioned, put 25 amp fuse in, hooked up BB, pumped up ok, hit test and fuse blew!!!
Replaced fuse and plugged into receptacle behind console, worked fine, just arrived at campground and all's well. I think issue is distance from fuse block, rear of car, and lighter outlet in dash.
By the way, in-line fuse in BB is 15A, not 20.

Tags
fuse, brake