Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2012, 06:30 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Fuse No. 8

Can anyone tell me what is actually shut off by removing fuse 8 in an HHR. I find it interesting that Chevy dealers cannot tell me what shuts down so that the battery will not be drained during towing. I asked the tech at Blue Ox who installed the switch so I would not have to pull the fuse. Also, no answer.
slapfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2012, 06:49 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
How many amps is the fuse?
Old 05-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Sorry but not sure. Possibly 4 amp.....one of the smaller numbered fuses.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapfoot View Post
Can anyone tell me what is actually shut off by removing fuse 8 in an HHR. I find it interesting that Chevy dealers cannot tell me what shuts down so that the battery will not be drained during towing. I asked the tech at Blue Ox who installed the switch so I would not have to pull the fuse. Also, no answer.
The HHR owners Manual on page 6-121 shows Fuse 8 as "Ignition Switch, PASS-Key III+

PHESPE
PHESPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:53 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes, I've read that also, but I don't know what it means. I'm looking for someone to tell me what it means.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:15 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
If I remember correctly when I had an HHR, it is a 3 amp fuse that controls dashboard related things. For instance, I always left the radio on and the door open when I hit my rocker switch to shut off the power to that fuse and the door bell would cease ringing and the radio would shut off as well. It also shut off power to the ignition switch. You cannot remove the key until the power is restored. All you really need to know, is that your battery will not drain and the car will start again!
wah864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:20 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Pass Key III is the system used on GM vehicles/keys. Insert the wrong key or a copy and the system disables your fuel pump. Not sure what would happen by pulling the fuse. I would assume either lock you out or disable the system, probably the former.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:27 AM   #8

It could possibly cut the auto headlight function. The fuse in our Saturn cuts this function with the dash sensor, I pulled ours going home and did not pull the fuse just to see what would happen. When the sun went down the headlights came on, I pulled into a rest area and pulled the fuse and headlights went out.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:46 AM   #9

I can Tell you what happens if you don't pull it and tow for 2 days straight.
On the second day of towing, and while in a rest area, I decided to check the car and start it for a few minutes while we had lunch.
The car won't start, the car wouldn't come back out of "park" and the rear gate (where the battery is) wouldn't unlatch.
Fun Day ...... We now remember to pull #8
Old 05-15-2012, 08:00 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm new to this website and want to thank all for the responses. In my experience the radio did not go off when the fuse was removed. I really thought it would and could not find anything that stopped working when fuse was pulled, which was the reason for my question. I'll keep experimenting using your suggestions. Thanks
Old 05-15-2012, 09:43 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
It's a 2 amp fuse. It basically will keep you from draining the battery while you're towing. The switch is the best idea and I'll be installing my switch very soon on our HHR. I too have drained the battery but only because I was an idiot and had the key in the wrong position.
cappelte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:06 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

In newer GM cars it often disables the functions controlled by the BCM - body control module (computer). The Pass Key system would likely be one of those. Those systems are usually active all the time, so are a continual power draw when towing.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I agree with what Gary said, it disables the computer chip in the pass key system. You'll notice that when you click the key to the first notch to disable the steering wheel lock, that after pulling this fuse you cannot move the key to off and remove it. It's locked in because it has been disabled and stops the battery drain from that security system.

2006 Newmar Dutch Star 4027
Harm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:51 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Removing fuse 8 prevents the ignition key from being removed, removes the chime, removes some power from the ignition system, but it does not remove power from the odometer circuit. To prevent miles from adding the ignition key must be in off position (first position from the key removal steering wheel lock position). When towing, ensure the light switch on the turn signal stock has been positioned to off. This will prevent the headlights from auto on. Been towing a similar cobalt since 2007 and 33,000 miles. Added many miles and ran down the battery multiple times until I got it right. Just my two cents...
teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse