Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
General ?s about towing Ford Escape Hybrid

We are researching which towing and braking system to add to our planned Winnebago diesel/Escape-Hybrid combo. We are considering the SMI Air Force One.

(1) Has anyone installed that braking system on their Ford Escape (Hybrid or not) and what are your thoughts?

Also when I went to get a non-chipped key for towing, the guy at Lowes said he wouldn't recommend using a non-chipped key as it would ruin the electronics/ignition. My assumption was that I would use a non-chipped key, turned only to the first click (and locked in the car), so that it would unlock the car's steering wheel but not allow my car to be stolen because there was a key in it.

(2) Is there any concern with using a non-chipped key? [i.e. -- non-chipped key, turned to first click so that the steering is unlocked but car is not "on".]

(3) Maybe the more basic question is that I am assuming the car and its electronics are not energized when the car key is in the first position and that is how I am suppose to tow it. It that correct or am I going about this all wrong?

Thank you for your expertise.

-- Jeffrey and Maren
2011 Winnebago Journey 40U
Ford Escape Hybrid with Blue OX, Air Force One and TST
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2012, 08:00 PM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ford Escape Hybrid TOAD

We have been towing the Ford Escape Hybrid since 2006 and have had no problems. We use a non-chip key to unlock the steering, just make sure the radio is off. We have a Brake Buddy and just use a magnetic light set instead of wiring into the wiring harness. Makes a great combination for us.

Ken & Judy - 2013 Winnebago Journey 36M
2010 Buick Enclave
Milaca, Minnesota
kdmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
We have been towing a 2008 Escape Hybrid since 2009, about 40,000 miles, with a non-chip key and no problems at all. I think the guy at Lowes must have been smoking something Put the key in, turn to on, put gearshift in neutral, turn the key to the off position and leave it in. The steering wheel stays unlocked when using these steps.

I installed full wiring harness and diodes for the lights.

I am using the Unified Tow Brake from US Gear Unified Tow Brake
Ronnie (WD5GIC) & Jan (WD5IHU)
2003 Monaco Dynasty Countess 42' w/tag, 2012 Ford Flex

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:51 PM   #4
You're going to love the AF1. I've got over 100,000 tow miles on our system and wouldn't use any other system. We've had the same system on 2 diesel coaches and 2 toads. Only problem we ever had was the cylinder cable broke last fall coming down from Alaska. I was able to "patch it" (with a bolt and 2 washers) to get it home. After calling the manufacturer, I sent them the cylinder and they replaced the cable. I had it back in less than 2 weeks and it cost less than $30 including postage. By the way, before you anchor the cable to the firewall, slightly round the sharp edges on the cable clamp. Could have saved me $30 after 4 years of use.
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500 Toad
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

ford, towing