Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:46 PM   #15

does the same go for the Suzuki Sidekicks?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2014, 07:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDad View Post
does the same go for the Suzuki Sidekicks?
Same vehicle.

DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:49 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Estes View Post
Manual can be towed 4 down...has to be 4WD...put manual in second gear...transfer case in neutral...and unlock hubs...
I'm confused on this. Our Tracker is a manual 5 speed but not a 4WD and has been towed for years 4 down.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:00 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Oh and here is our Tracker today. Top down, temperature 82.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trackerinparadise.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	55978  
Old 02-12-2014, 12:06 PM   #19

Not sure what to tell you about that...check the owners manual...but if it is working for you then thats good...
Jim Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:37 PM   #20

Suzuki Sidekick Flat/Dolly Towing Instructions

Revised: 06-24-08

by Jim "Ack" Cambron

Official Suzuki Method of Flat-towing

The following is an excerpt from the 1993 Sidekick Owner's Manual:
Towing Method "A" Four wheels on the ground/Manual transmission Towbar)
Item Position --------------------------------- Ignition "ACC" Emergency Brake OFF Manual Transmission 2nd Gear Transfer Case Neutral Hubs FREE UPDATE: Suzuki recommends that you NEVER attempt to flat-tow a Sidekick or Samurai equipped with automatic locking hubs! Naturally, this also applies to Trackers with automatic hubs too. See Suzuki Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) TS5-01 07319(R) for details.
Stop every 200 miles (300 km). Leaving the transmission in 2nd gear and the transfer case in neutral, run the engine 1 minute to circulate the lubricant in the transfer case.
Towing Method "B" (Four wheels on the ground/Automatic Transmission)
Item Position --------------------------------- Ignition "ACC" Emergency Brake OFF Automatic Transmission Park Transfer Case Neutral Hubs FREE UPDATE: Suzuki recommends that you NEVER attempt to flat-tow a Sidekick or Samurai equipped with automatic locking hubs! Naturally, this also applies to Trackers with automatic hubs too. See Suzuki Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) TS5-01 07319(R) for details.

Stop every 200 miles (300 km). Start the engine. Leaving the transfer case in neutral, place the transmission in "D" and run the engine 1 minute to circulate the lubricant in the transfer case. Towing Method "C" (manual locking hubs, front wheels on ground and rear wheels on a dolly)
Item Position --------------------------------- Ignition "ACC" (unlocks steering wheel) Hubs FREE Set the the front wheels so that they are pointing forward, then secure the steering wheel with a wheel clamping device designed for towing.
Towing Method "D" (2WD vehicle, front wheels on ground and rear wheels on a dolly)
Item Position --------------------------------- Ignition "ACC" (unlocks steering wheel) Set the the front wheels so that they are pointing forward, then secure the steering wheel with a wheel clamping device designed for towing.
Editor's note: There are no instructions for dolly-towing a vehicle with the rear axle on the ground.

Towing Table
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:26 AM   #21

National RV Owners Club
When you find the one you want check for a Base Plate.
etrailer.com - Base Plates Products base plate kit &nf=&isort=score&method=and&view=grid&format=ca t1

On my 1997 the baseplate can only be installed if the car doesn't have factory air.

Dick
Old 02-13-2014, 11:23 PM   #22

We bought a 1997 Suzuki Sidekick, standard trans, 2 wheel drive after we bought our first RV in 2001. Not knowing anything, I bought a baseplate to go with the Roadmaster Sterling towbar we also bought. I installed the baseplate and towed the Sidekick for years with no problem (just like HD4Mark). I read the owners manual a few months after we started towing it, only to discover that the correct way to tow is with the car backwards, with the real wheels on a dolly and the front wheels on the road and the steering wheel tied straight. Talk about dumb luck! I put the trans in Neutral and the key in the lock position. If you don't pull the key out, the wheels won't lock but can turn right and left. Saves the battery. I used magnetic tow lights. I still have the baseplate in the garage if anyone needs one cheap. The Sidekick had A/C. (I have since got smarter and more careful).
John
Old 02-13-2014, 11:38 PM   #23

National RV Owners Club
I reread the Roadmaster install instructions and they say the Roadmaster Base Plate will not fit if the car has an AFTER MARKET Air Conditioner. I don't have an AC so I didn't pay a lot of attention. A factory AC is OK.
Sorry

Dick
Old 02-16-2014, 07:47 PM   #24

Name:	image (1).jpg
Views:	102
Size:	298.9 KB
ID:	56244

Name:	image (2).jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	56245

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	73
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	56246 What do you think about my new toad, will start next week putting on base plate.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:09 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrider, View Post
Attachment 56244

Attachment 56245

Attachment 56246 What do you think about my new toad, will start next week putting on base plate.
Do you want to sell it ????? Just let me know , or do you know where another one is ?
David
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:26 PM   #26

Found it on craigslist.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:46 PM   #27

1996 Geo Tracker Convertible 4 X 4--SURVIVOR! Please don't buy!! - $3900 (North Wilkesboro)

1996 Geo Tracker odometer: 150 manual transmission
Old 02-18-2014, 06:35 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
The info on towing a 2WD manual trans is obviously news to me. I was under the assumption that most 2WD, rear axle manuals can be towed 4 down in neutral. Sure the rear end is spinning the drive shaft and in the case of older cable driven odometers, clocking miles. I don't see what disconnecting the drive shaft would gain other than the wear on the U joints and the trans seals but no more than driving it. We have towed ours for about four years 4 down with no ill affects I can see. So did a previous owner.

The info on towing backwards on a dolly is what I have seen some automatic trans 2WD rear WD owners do so the drive axle is not spinning. This makes sense with the exception that the front end on cars are designed to go forwards most of the time.