Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2013, 09:36 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Geting a new CRV set up to be towed

I am looking at a new CRV. Has any one talked the dealer into doing the base plate install and wiring to make it ready to tow? If you didn’t do the work then who did you get to do the work?
Thanks
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2013, 09:46 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a local hitch shop install everything for me.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:09 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Had mine done by a certified welder.

BTW, has Honda repositioned that PITA fuse that needs to be pulled for long tows? I suggested that they put it in the fuse box under the hood back in 2011.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:15 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I had a local hitch shop install everything for me.
Ditto - Eckhart Towing Hitch my local place. Did a great job.
I also had them put a connection to car battery to charge it while being towed. Total was $1700 labor/parts using Demco Commander system included turn and brake rear light connections too.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:31 PM   #5

Carolina Campers
I just purchased my new 2013 Honda CR-V. Traded in a 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid.

I will be purchasing a Demco baseplate for the Demco Commander tow bar that I already own. I am going to attempt to install the baseplate myself.

I spoke to a guy at the 2013 iRV2 rally that did it himself and we discussed it fairly well and it does not appear to be beyond my ability. I also have spoke to others that also installed it as well. Removing the front facia of the CR-V appeared to be the biggest challenge. I will be installing a Stay-In-Play breaking system to replace my BrakeBuddy and a Hidden Hitch to the back at the same time. The Hidden Hitch is mainly to cary a bike rack.

There are some other iRV2 threads about this install that you should read as well.

Camping World estimate, after the cost of items, for just labor;

Baseplate install, 3 hrs: $300
Hidden Hitch install, 1 hr: $100
Tow bar accessories install, 2 hrs: $200
Stay-In-Play install, 5 hrs: $500
Total labor: $1,100

I will get some help from my son and another friend, and I will be happy to give them some money and a few beers and still save at least $900

Not bad for a weekend project.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:43 PM   #6

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
Had mine done by a certified welder. BTW, has Honda repositioned that PITA fuse that needs to be pulled for long tows? I suggested that they put it in the fuse box under the hood back in 2011.
I will use one of the leads from the tow bar hookup to charge the battery versus pull the fuse.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:46 AM   #7
doc

Appalachian Campers
I suspect that if you make the installation and wiring part of the requirement before you make the purchase then it can be done. If you have already done the deal then it will cost you if they do it all.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDEBILL308 View Post
I am looking at a new CRV. Has any one talked the dealer into doing the base plate install and wiring to make it ready to tow? If you didn’t do the work then who did you get to do the work? Thanks Bill
You can go whichever way you want on the install. Some like to do it all, others pay. It doesn't matter. When I was prepping my Element (same basic chassis as CRV, in those days) for flat towing 1-1/2 years ago, I wound up having it all done for me because my time was more valuable than the money, at that time. I ordered the Roadmaster adapter from Etrailer. I had my RV mech do the install and wiring, as he was working on the coach at the time, and he had done dozens of hookups and was far more knowledgeable than I.

Whatever you decide-- if you don't already have one PLEASE install a charge line from the coach to the tow!!! I had one installed, and have now towed my old Element over 10K totally uneventful miles. Once I left the radio playing, another time I left the interior lights on, but never had any difficulty. I'm sure you have noted all the threads on this forum from folks who lose their battery charge trying to tow. It is almost epidemic in scope, and in almost every case the difficulties could have been avoided at the outset by the initial installation of a charge line. Please learn from history.

Good Luck with the CRV!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #9

I negotiated the purchase of our CRV to have everything installed by the dealer. They arranged to have a local Hitch Shop do the install.
They installed the BlueOx Base Plate, Breakaway Switch (with the plug in cable coiled up under the drivers floor mat), installed Taillight Wiring complete with the Umbilical Cord to the MH, installed the Charge Wire c/w Fuses on each end.

My part was to take the MH in to the Hitch Shop, go have lunch, come back and hook up. They did a Great Job and my cost out the door from the dealer was $1100.