Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2015, 12:00 PM   #1

Getting a new Blue Ox system installed--quote

I went to the local service place that works with Newmars. They have a great reputation, and I feel comfortable with the work that they would do.

I need to have a whole Blue Ox tow system installed on my car/MH. MH has not previously towed a car. My manual transmission Hyundai Veloster can be towed four down. The quote from Burlington RV for everything, including installation, is around $3500. This seems kind of high. Opinions?
Circejane is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2015, 12:15 PM   #2

I paid a local hitch shop $1200 to install the base plate, wire the tail lights, and connect a charge line to the coach C/W new umbilical cord and plugs on both ends.
In addition to that, there is the cost of the 10,000 lb Tow Bar for About $950 and the Patriot brake for another $950 more or less. So you can see their price is not far off. If you can do the work yourself, you can save maybe $500 or so and you could buy used equipment for maybe half of new but unless you know what you are buying, you could end up with more trouble than you bargained for.
If this shop is reputable, I think their price is fair. Maybe not the best, but fair.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:16 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
If that includes the base plate, braking system, and all wiring of the RV and the toad, that's not too bad. Labor is expensive, especially at an RV service center. You might check with independent shops and see if they will do it cheaper.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 01:39 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
That price sounds about right, if it is all inclusive.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 02:27 PM   #5

Was at our local Camping World earlier this week and was advised that I should budget up to $3.8K for a typical motorhome/toad installation. But, this is California too...LOL

Bill
Old 04-18-2015, 02:30 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Bill View Post
Was at our local Camping World earlier this week and was advised that I should budget up to $3.8K for a typical motorhome/toad installation. But, this is California too...LOL

Bill
They probably have a special tax for that.
Vaark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 02:38 PM   #7

Check their parts prices against these. Trailer Hitches & Vehicle Accessories (800)298-8924
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 03:53 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I bought a Blue Ox Alpha tow bar, Demco Base Plate, Mopar wiring harness and a RVI2 brake system for about $2100 total. I did all the installation on the Jeep in about 6 hours, and it was my first time so a shop should be able to do it in that time or faster.

Just for info, your motorhome may already be pre-wired for towing as most of the later models are. If you have a 7 pin connector at the rear by your trailer hitch, then you are probably good to go on the MH.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 04:09 PM   #9

Thank you, everyone. This has been hugely helpful.

I have no way to do the work myself, nor the knowledge, so I'll have the pros do it. Yes, that price was for absolutely everything--tow bar, tow plate, brake system, the works. I'm in Milwaukee, WI.
Circejane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 05:37 PM   #10

I paid $3000 last Feb to have my 2012 Wrangler hooked up with Blue Ox Surge Equipment, that was everything; bar, base plate, wiring, breakaway setup and labor. Hitch King in Tampa did the work and did a great job.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:00 PM   #11

Its good to know people sometimes. Base plate for our car is 360.00, I can get it installed where my wife works free, I'll give him some cash anyway. I bought a Like new Blue Ox Aventa II tow bar for 175.00. I know where I can buy a preowned, never used Ready Brake for 300.00.
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:38 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJump View Post
They probably have a special tax for that.

Shhh... Don't give the tax CA collectors anymore ideas!
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:32 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I installed a blue-Ox base plate and tow bar on our 08 Honda CR-V and had the tail lights and a AirForce One installed, all at the same time. I also had the brake light for the AFO wired into the dash of our coach. The whole job took three guys a complete day to complete.

The amount of work varies by the tow vehicle. In our case a couple of pieces of the interior front bumper had to be cut off by a saws-all and that increased the time requirement significantly.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:54 PM   #14

I bought a blue ox baseplate, ready brake, ready brake breakaway, and the ready brake sling adapter from the Hitchsource for <$1,000. I installed everything myself, and I am just your average weekend mechanic. It took me 5 hours to do the baseplate and two hours to do the ready brake. I then found a like new blue ox Aladdin towbar on craigslist for $200. So my total cost with my own labor will be <$1200. I do need to purchase the light kit, and for that, I am just going to use the magnetic mount system which is around $50.
Billinwoodla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ox, install