Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2014, 10:24 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Getting a Toad today

Need help figuring out everything I need. We will be towing a 2006 Jeep Liberty. Everything I have looked at to set it up to be towed seems really expensive. Can someone help me out on what all I need?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2014, 10:51 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi kerrbe,
Setup for towing is expensive. Fortunately the cost is a single expense. Maintenance of the components is minimal.

Determine what brand of towing components you'll need. It is easiest to keep everything the same brand. You'll need:

1. Tow bar. This connects to the hitch receiver on the coach. They are rated by weight. Get one that provides a safety margin based on what you are towing.

2. Base Plate. This is fastened to the frame of the toad. The tow bar connects to the base plate. Per above, try to keep items #1 and #2 the same brand.

3. Braking System. This applies the brakes of the toad when the coach brakes are applied. This ensures the coach is stopping the coach and the toad brakes are stopping the toad.

4. Running and Brake Lights For The Toad. The toad brake and running lights need to be connected to the coach. The goal is to have these lights work the same as the coach lights.

There are many vendors who will sell you what you need. Consider having the product demonstrated. You try the product. All the products work. The question is does the product match the way you work.

5. Safety cables (rated by weight) and breakaway switch (included with USGEAR) are also needed.

I use Blue Ox for the tow bar and base plate. USGEAR is the braking and toad lights system I use. After 9 years and 90+K miles of towing these products have performed as advertised. I would make the same purchase again. Maintenance has been minimal.

Lastly, you'll need a way to charge the toad battery while it is being towed. If you use the USGEAR system this feature is included. Just make sure the installer does the install correctly.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:10 AM   #3

First Determine if Jeep can be towed as is, no pump needed for the trans. Then mounting plates have to be installed on jeep. Safety cables, wiring harness for lights, break away switch.and some means of "brake assist", like brake buddy, since your Jeep will be over 3,000 lbs. And yes... it is expensive !!!!
Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:08 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrbe View Post
Need help figuring out everything I need. We will be towing a 2006 Jeep Liberty. Everything I have looked at to set it up to be towed seems really expensive. Can someone help me out on what all I need?
First check to see if the liberty can be towed. I know the newer ones cannot be. Look at an owners manual it will tell you if it can be or not.

The previous poster had a good list. I will just make advisements on that.

I have a blue ox ten thousand pound tow bar. I like it
I have an RVi2 brake system. I like it if you are going to have a removable brake other wise go with one of the permanent mounted braking systems.

Lights are a bit different for me. I bought a new 2012 buick enclave and did not want to get into the whole hooking up lights into the computerized wiring system. ( Which by the way worked out well. I had some warranty brake problems and the first thing they asked was if the wiring from my coach to the brake lights was connected in any way with the vehicle wiring ) The enclave has a receiver type tow hitch. I took a piece of 2 inch square tubing and drilled a hole for the pin to lock it in the reciever hitch. I took a piece of 1 inch square tubing and welded that to the end of the 2 inch. Then I took a piece of 4 inch flat stock and welded that on each end of the 1 inch tubing ( I am not putting in lengths because each vehicle is different) I bought a pair of LCD trailer lights and mounted them to the flat stock. I wired a 6 connector plug and hooked it up to the mounting plate for it on my tow bar based plates. I then ran the other end of the wiring under the car to the reciever hitch. put a 4 pin plug on the reciever hitch and wired the LCD trailer lights to another plug. I now have lights that are seperate from the car wiring system. Work off of the coach. Look good and can be taken off if I do not want them there Whole thing was around 50.00.

The previous poster was right though. A lot of money
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:04 PM   #5

Ready brute elite has the brake built in and is much cheaper. Mine has worked well. I use a blue ox tow bar and plate with it. Go to tow bars unlimited. They sell a package that is priced much cheaper than other options.
Tim&Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:23 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
X2 for the ReadyBrute Elite, great way to go 4 down towing.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:25 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim&Paula View Post
Ready brute elite has the brake built in and is much cheaper. Mine has worked well. I use a blue ox tow bar and plate with it. Go to tow bars unlimited. They sell a package that is priced much cheaper than other options.
X2 on the Ready Brute with brake.

If you need cheaper buy used tow bar. Via Craigslist for example. That is where I got my brake buddy and blue Ox tow bar - $450.00. A bit of lube and cleanup and had towed my jeep several years and many miles.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad