Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:29 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Just make sure that you take a good look and have an EXIT plan before you enter. Sometimes these exit plans are thwarted by people parking in front of you, etc... but just be patient and it'll work out.
^^ This. And we start looking for possible fueling opportunities at 1/2 tank. That way, we have plenty of time and don't get panicky.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2014, 10:22 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
..... And we start looking for possible fueling opportunities at 1/2 tank. That way, we have plenty of time and don't get panicky.
I agree with SarahW on that and we've spent many years using that plan. About three years ago I decided to change the way we RV. Now, on most days, I plan on a 200 to 300 mile per day run and try to be off the road prior to 3 o'clock local time. Now I just fill up at a facility close to where we park and I'm seldom need much more than a half tank.

VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:32 AM   #17

When I had my MH I carried an empty gas can just in case I ran into a tough area to get fuel and was low enough to be nervous. I figured I could always pull off somewhere safe and fill the can a couple times getting me enough fuel to find a better station.
jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:18 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We do thus all the time. 37' plus toad. Many stations can accommodate you, and many can't. Getting in is usually easiest, getting out is harder. Plan your exit strategy in advance. If in doubt go on down the road to another station. Sometimes a car will pull in and block your previously viable exit - just wait, they will move before too long. Don't get too low on fuel before looking to refill so as not to put yourself in a jam.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:30 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have 38' and toad and plan ahead (exit) is the answer. As for Flyim J rv pumps. They are the same distance from the building entrance as all the other pumps. Just set off to one side for dump station and LP fill. Don't believe it? Look at the other pumps next time in a J.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:24 AM   #20

I'm 54' with my toad and haven't found many gas stations that I can't get into and out of. Remember that almost all gas station have double tanker trucks pulling in to fill their tanks so the idea that we magically can't fit is incorrect.

As others have said just plan ahead and have an escape plan.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:03 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNSteph View Post
I'm 54' with my toad and haven't found many gas stations that I can't get into and out of. Remember that almost all gas station have double tanker trucks pulling in to fill their tanks so the idea that we magically can't fit is incorrect.

As others have said just plan ahead and have an escape plan.

X2. I'm over 50' also. Very seldom use FJ. Don't seem to have any issues getting in or out of all stations. Just pay attention for an exit plan.

Russell
Old 06-22-2014, 12:43 PM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Looking for gas at the half tank level is good advice, we also fill our mh before we start a trip without the toad, and again when getting ready to head back we will often fill up with my wife following me in the toad and hook up the toad after fueling, unless we are already aware of a fuel station that we can use with the toad hooked up. When stopped somewhere for a while we will also check out fuel stations while running around doing touristy things.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:44 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingHawk View Post
The Pilot we stop at before getting onto I-75 has separate area for trucks & RVs & is clearly marked.
I think you are referring to the diesel fuel pumps....the OP has a gasser.
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:24 PM   #24
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post

I've been to Pilots and Flying J's that have RV lanes with Gas pumps.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:29 PM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patfredn View Post
Thanks. I didn't know Flying J, Pilot and Loves had special pumps for RV's. I am new at this.
Flying-J has special RV islands,, HOWEVER many times it is not all that easy getting in and out of those.

Most larger Stations, which includes Costco, Flying-J, Loves, TA, Pilot and several others, Even many MURPHY'S USA have pumps layed out well (The regular car pumps) and I have gotten in and out with a 38 foot, both towing and not towing with no problems.

Basically you look before you leap.

One thing on Murphys... (Wal*Mart) You go into the store (Wal*mart) and buy a gift card.. Fill it with however much you plan on putting into the pump... THEN go to the station, Insert card in the reader and pull it out .. watch the price DROP.. Just now it is a dime but usually 3 cents.

Shell does the 3 thing with their Fuel Rewards card and you can bounce it up a few cents by shopping at selected stores, Including the Convenience store attached.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:01 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I OFTEN use Sams/Walmart pumps with my 43' MH & toad. I do look at satellite views of new locations and figure out my in and out points. Only once did I get into station I shouldn't have because I blocked tricky entrance/exit.

With Walmart offering a $.15 per gallon discount using their credit card it is worth it to me to go there.

It isn't always easy but with a little scouting it can be quite doable and worth the effort. However, keep in mind that I'm looking at 80-100 gallon purchases at a time and that is a big deal. Also, m DSDP seems to get in and out of tighter spaces than my previous 39' gasser did too.

Good Luck.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:25 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Often times while traveling, I've had to use "normal filling stations" to fuel my 40DP w/toad. It's not all that bad so long as you're not trying to do it during peak hours.

Just make sure that you take a good look and have an EXIT plan before you enter. Sometimes these exit plans are thwarted by people parking in front of you, etc... but just be patient and it'll work out. Patience is very important in these situations. It's easy to get frazzled and anxious and that's about the time you try to pull out... forgetting about that big tail swing you have and you get up close and personal with one of those concrete filled 6" vertical pipes they put there to protect the pumps.

Have fun.

Rick
I'm with Rick on this one. I've put 150,000 miles on our old Monaco pulling a 24' trailer and really never had problems getting fuel. As he mentioned, if you just take a look before you pull in, you'll know right away whether you can manage it. I think more than anything its just a matter of having jockeyed the thing around enough so that you can be comfortable with it.
courtjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:27 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingHawk
The Pilot we stop at before getting onto I-75 has separate area for trucks & RVs & is clearly marked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I've been to Pilots and Flying J's that have RV lanes with Gas pumps.

The post I quoted said "truck and rv lanes". It's already been established that Flying J has "rv" lanes. Truck specific lanes are for diesel only.

Ron

lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, toad