Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:07 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by courtjester View Post
I think more than anything its just a matter of having jockeyed the thing around enough so that you can be comfortable with it.
This is really the bottom line. It's tough to "teach" but experience yields the ability to look at a situation and have a really good idea of how or if it can be navigated with your rig. Patience.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2014, 03:09 PM   #30
I have never had a problem getting in or out of Flying J's fuel islands with a 40' DP pulling a tow dolly with a Dodge Intrepid on it. Also 'bout 6 years ago did a 6000 mile trip out west with a 37 footer gas MH pulling same set-up. no problems at all getting gas.

dwarfracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:30 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have had good luck with Petro truck stops.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Brian and Tammy
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35K
Mercury Mariner Hybrid
Blue Ox Baseplate, Blue Ox Tow Bar, Patriot Braking
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:09 PM   #32

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We use Flying J every chance we can. Like most have mentioned the pumps facing the building are ones I try to avoid. Half tank is time to start finding a station that will work. I have squeaked thru several that looked good that were a bad judgement, mostly ones facing the building. Just try to be sure you have plenty of room to maneuver. It only takes a few times to the pumps and you have it under control! Oh yea don't forget to watch for the roofs over the pumps, most are tall enough but some could create a very bad day!
06 Adventurer 38R

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:54 AM   #33
Terrible time getting diesel in Ventura, CA

We were in Ventura last winter and getting diesel was a real pain. We tried on the way in and didn't have any luck. We later drove around in the toad and foud a place that seemed OK. When we did go for fuel we left the toad at the RV park and still had trouble getting to the pump, due to layout and partly due to congestion.

I decided at that point to carry two empty 5 gallon fuel containers so that if we got into that situation again I would go out with the toad one or two times and get 10 or 20 gallons of diesel so we could get to the next town with adequate fuel stops.

Beth, Lee and Buster (AKA Busticator, 14# King of All Pomeranians - Protector of His People)
2007 40' HR Ambassador & 2005 CR-V
ballard770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:01 PM   #34
Tiffin Owners Club
Someone may have mentioned this, but try to find a station that has the pumps parallel to the store so you can get in and out. At a Pilot once, (where the pumps are usually perpendicular to the store) we had to wait for customers to move that were parked and using the store. In the 8K mile trip, we never had to unhook while getting fuel, (gas).

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Jack & Kay
2015 Allegro 32CA Ford Chassis
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:23 PM   #35
Winnebago Owners Club
Good advice here. We've done all of them. One other thing we learned was that even a station with the pumps perpendicular to the building can be easily used IF it's one that caters to big rigs and they can drive all the way around the building or if it's on a corner with an exit to the road that runs along aside the station. We just get into the outside lane which allows us to either circle the building or veer to the side exit where we can make a couple of turns and re-enter the road we came in off of.

Best advice I can give you is if you're not comfortable with the set-up, don't stop there. We did once, because stations were few and far between and none had been RV friendly. We thought we were going to have to get out and unhitch the Jeep because of a car that had pulled into the place after we did and parked right in front of where we needed to go. Kept waiting for the driver to leave. When he didn't, I went in and learned it was the clerk's car. He said he wouldn't move it.

I went back out to tell my husband. Before we could even begin to unhitch, the guy hurried out with a change of heart. Maybe he noticed how much we'd just spent. Or maybe he heard me muttering something about contacting corporate headquarters and posting on the Internet as I left.

Fran & Tom/ 4 rescue cats - Benci (2014), Peaches (2003), Tipper (2002), Snippet (2002), & in spirit - Aja (1996-2014)/2011 Winnebago Vista 30W/2008 4 door Wrangler 4X4
Floridafran is offline   Reply With Quote

gas, toad