Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:38 PM   #1
Getting gas with toad

I will need to get gas while pulling a toad. Which stations are equipped to handle the 37' motorhome and toad with ease.

Patfredn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2014, 03:40 PM   #2
Flyin J, Pilot, and Love's.

Jim and Shirley McGehee
2004 Beaver Monterey Laguna
2013 Honda Fit Toad, 2003 Jeep Liberty Toad
jollyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:40 PM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
You may find yourself using more truck stops even though you have gas RV. They seem to have more room than most stations.
Gary and Karen Stone - stick home in Texas
LCMS Church - 2014 Minnie Winnie 31KP, 2014 Jeep Gary is N5PHT, Ham Op, Retired from Fed Gov
n5pht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:49 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We are 37'3" plus the toad and feel your pain!

Costco's/Sam's are GREAT...often large pull-through stalls and often a good price too.

The gasoline lanes at the Flying J/Pilot/Love's will often NOT fit a long RV, so when driving up look for a RV lane - often at the end of the islands. We have actually parked and walked up to avoid getting trapped.

Problem with the RV lane is the weenie that will take-over the lane (construction crew that goes in the mini-market for lunch or RVer's who wash the entire front of their RV or take lunch or whatever). And since there is usually only 1 lane, you are stuck waiting.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:52 PM   #5
Thanks. I didn't know Flying J, Pilot and Loves had special pumps for RV's. I am new at this.
Patfredn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:58 PM   #6
Tiffin Owners Club
Originally Posted by Patfredn View Post
Thanks. I didn't know Flying J, Pilot and Loves had special pumps for RV's. I am new at this.
I don't think Loves or Pilot has them...I've only seen them at Flying J. Since Pilot bought out Flying J, hopefully they will install them at all the Pilot stations too.

The best stations I've seen have the pumps located so that they are parallel with the street....in one way....out the other. Those that have pumps perpendicular to the street usually doesn't have sufficient room between the pumps and the building to maneuver a 37' coach and toad.

If you have Google maps (or even Mapquest), you can look up the stations prior to getting there to see how they are situated.

Ron, Sandie, and Maggie May
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH
2011 GMC Terrain SLT-2
lanerd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:04 PM   #7
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Get a copy of this, it will tell you all you need to know, The Next Exit:

2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:07 PM   #8
X2 on the Next Exit guide, they are great! If it's rv friendly it's in RED. Tells you everything that's off that exit and which direction it is, very few errors, use it all the time
Jan & Thomas
2012 Drv Mobile Suite
2012 Ford F350 Super Duty
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:08 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Often times while traveling, I've had to use "normal filling stations" to fuel my 40DP w/toad. It's not all that bad so long as you're not trying to do it during peak hours.

Just make sure that you take a good look and have an EXIT plan before you enter. Sometimes these exit plans are thwarted by people parking in front of you, etc... but just be patient and it'll work out. Patience is very important in these situations. It's easy to get frazzled and anxious and that's about the time you try to pull out... forgetting about that big tail swing you have and you get up close and personal with one of those concrete filled 6" vertical pipes they put there to protect the pumps.

Have fun.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:12 PM   #10
The Pilot we stop at before getting onto I-75 has separate area for trucks & RVs & is clearly marked.
HuntingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:07 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
At one time we had an Allegro Bay 37DB and towed our '07 Focus on a dolly. First thing I figured out was to look for stations where the pumps were parallel to the road and/or circle to reach the outside lane of pumps so I could pull strait out back to the road. As mentioned above, I quickly learned to stop before I stopped and scope out the lay out. When I had no choice but to use inside lanes, I'd leave about four to five feet between the RV and the pumps to aid in turning at the end of the pump row. Last put not least, the wife gets out and spots for me. She's kept me out of trouble on many occasions.
Stan, Shirley & 2 Schnauzers (Sandy & Sassy)
RV: 2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F
USAF, Retired, Life Member: VSPA, DVA, VVA, VFW
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:32 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 37 foot gasser and pull a Jeep Liberty Toad so I'm approx 48-49 feet. I use Pilot/Flying J etc and have to admit it gets tight because I must use the auto lanes. Like Mustang652 I look for outside lanes and when they are not available I use the middle lanes but leave 4-5 feet between me and the pumps. Most importantly I stop short when pulling into a lane and my DW get outs and spots for me. You do have to be selective as some stations are just not conducive to Class A's with toads.
Steve & Debbie plus Bently-Std Poodle & Roxie-Maltese
2004 Mountain Aire 3778 & 2011 Jeep Liberty Toad
"Not All Who Wander Are Lost"
bowpulpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:56 PM   #13
Never had a problem with our first coach, an Allegro 36LA. Even stations that had the pumps perpendicular to the station I could often use one of the end pumps. Just have to make sure you have a good exit.
We travel a lot of the smaller highways and many of the older stations still have the islands parallel to the station. Just plan a little ahead, when the tank hits about 1/3 it's time to fuel up again. I tried never to let it get to 1/4. I figure if I ever got stuck in traffic and wanted to use the generator I'd have enough fuel in the tank to do so.
Paul, Kathy, and Tux a 4 month Mini Schnauzer
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42 LH, 2013 Honda CRV
"When the time comes to look back, make sure you'll like what you see"
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:08 PM   #14
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Truck and RV Fuel Stations app provides a little info for finding locations with RV fueling lanes.

Foothills of the Smokies
2005 Bounder 35E
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote

gas, toad