Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:52 PM   #1

Getting our 2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited ready for 4 down towing.

I just about have everything picked out for the Cherokee. The list is as follows:

Blue Ox Baseplate
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar
RviBrake
Demco Wiring harness
Toad Charge ( eventually )

I can do most of the work myself, although I may have a local body shop remove the front facia so I can install the base plate. Local RV shop wants 3 1/2 hours labor at $125 an hour to install the base plate, that they also plan to charge me $90 more for the baseplate than RVUpgrades charges for it.

The wiring connection between the coach and the toad... I'm thinking of going with a 6 way plug on the car. That way, if I install a heavy gauge wire, .the 12 volt charge wire from the coach could be included in the umbilical cord to the toad.

This is the part where I need some guidance. I'm assuming that I will need a 7 way round connector to 6 way round connector. The fun part is wiring up the 6 way plug on the toad. I will have the 4 way flat connector from the Demco harness, but there are so many different diagrams out there, I'm not sure what should go where, looking at the plug from the front or the back. Is there a standard? I don't want to get into a custom configuration, except for the charge line, and I will have that run thru a switch, so I can kill the 12 volt feed wire.

What do the experts suggest? I want to keep it as simple as possible. Any guidance is very much appreciated.

BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2015, 10:35 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I have towed my Cherokee 53 times since I got it in November of 2013 for 8857 miles and never had a problem so I think you for sure do not need a charge wire
I am a retired accountant and have spread sheets on everything

rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rream View Post
I have towed my Cherokee 53 times since I got it in November of 2013 for 8857 miles and never had a problem so I think you for sure do not need a charge wire
I am a retired accountant and have spread sheets on everything
Does your Cherokee have the Active Shutters. Also, since you use the AFO, the Air is being supplied by your coach. In my case, the RViBrake will need to be powered, by the Cherokee. So, I may end up needing a charge line.

I have not started the install yet. I'm just acquiring what I need, and the Active Shutters are making me wonder. The whole front end of my Cherokee is closed off (hard to get to) both top and bottom. This will make runnming the wiring a challenge.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:48 AM   #4

I have a Cherokee altho diesel so it lacks the shutters, but I chose this time to tow my Canyon that does have the shutters. I had a shop do the baseplate install as I didn't want to have to take all that extra mechanical apart to get to things - they custom build the baseplate and so don't have to disassemble as much of the front end as the baseplate mfr's have you do.
But my advice is more about wiring - I have had set up or set up myself nine different toads in the last ten years (yes, I'm addicted to new vehicles) and I always for ease of install just run or have run three wires to the back of the toad - one for the left brake and turn, one for the right brake and turn, and one for the tails. (then a ground from the coach to the front frame of the toad) I use diodes so no issues, tapping right into the wires in the taillight assy's so as not to disturb any other electrical of the toad.
And, I've never needed to run a charge line - I start the toad after eight to ten hours of towing and run it for awhile to recharge the battery, and never had a toad battery go dead on me. (six of those nine toads were Chrysler products - they seem to have batteries that last, but then, the GMs and the Toys did too)
Old 03-18-2015, 11:30 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
For my 2014 Grand Cherokee I used a flat 5-wire plug (the 5th wire is for a charger). On the tow bar is a matching 5-wire receptacle for the car end and a round 7 wire plug matching the MH on the other. That way the 5-wire plug on the car is small and easy to hide when not in use and there is no need for any adapters.
I use a RVi2 brake system and have gone for days without having a low battery but I would imagine it could if it were activated very often. I have a RVi battery charger but I haven't installed it yet.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:09 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I too have a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited and just finished installing a Blue Ox bx 1135 base plates. I talked to my local body shop, and if I did the prep (remove all the bolts and screws, leaving just a few to get it to the shop) then the shop would remove the facia. Didn't charge me anything and it only took 10 minutes to pull off the facia. Put the facia in Jeep and went home to mount the base plates and reinstall the facia. It wasn't too difficult. Next will be the wiring, yet to start but should be totally accessible now, even with the facia reinstalled.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveerv View Post
I too have a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited and just finished installing a Blue Ox bx 1135 base plates. I talked to my local body shop, and if I did the prep (remove all the bolts and screws, leaving just a few to get it to the shop) then the shop would remove the facia. Didn't charge me anything and it only took 10 minutes to pull off the facia. Put the facia in Jeep and went home to mount the base plates and reinstall the facia. It wasn't too difficult. Next will be the wiring, yet to start but should be totally accessible now, even with the facia reinstalled.
I ended up mounting the 6-way receptacle to the bottom of the license plate bracket. My biggest issue was finding a place to mount the breakaway switch.

I am in the middle of a trip. I have towed our Cherokee Limited about 420 miles. She towes beautifully! No issues what so ever.

Tags
tow, towing