Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2010, 08:01 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
getting ready to tow jeep liberty

ok so i have a 06 liberty 4x4 all i have to do is hook up put transfer case in neutral ? leave tranny in pk or neutral ? and i don't have to leave the key on ? i just got the blue ox aventa lx system its sweet ! easy to hook up i haven't towed yet but will be this week ! hopefully
fxdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2010, 08:14 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Look in your manual that should be in the glove box, it will tell you what to do.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:25 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We've got an 06 Liberty 4x4: transfer case in Neutral, transmission in Park, dummy key in ignition turned to first click (so the steering wheel is unlocked & wheels can turn freely & corner).

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
We've got an 06 Liberty 4x4: transfer case in Neutral, transmission in Park, dummy key in ignition turned to first click (so the steering wheel is unlocked & wheels can turn freely & corner).

Lori-
X2 on our 05.
lostagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:04 PM   #5

I been towing a 06 Liberty since 05. Had a 02 Liberty before that. Put transfer case in neutral place shift lever in park and turn the key once notch. You can test it by pulling shift lever out of park. On my 06 I had copy of key made and it is silver so it does not show up as well. It will start the car but it only runs a couple of seconds, not enought time to take it out of park.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:22 PM   #6

As 76dc says. I use a dumb key. Normally I've used the regular key to pull up to the MH, and after hooking up, shift transmission to neutral, transfer case to neutral, transmission to park and shut off engine and remove key. All in that order. Then I put the dumb key in and turn the ignition to full on, just don't start the car, and pull transmission out of park and turn key as far as it will go towards off. Then I put the transmission back in park. I don't want to take the chance of turning the key to the lock position. Just my way.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:09 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Good idea Pete. Will start using this way also!

burfurd
Old 08-26-2010, 12:38 PM   #8

I think you'll want to have the car in neutral, because the brake would be on in park. And you'll want to have your key in accessory mode, thats the position right before you start the car engine. Also make sure if there are any fuses you have to pull in order to properly tow. It should all be in the owners manual.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:34 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrover View Post
I think you'll want to have the car in neutral, because the brake would be on in park.
On my '08 Liberty, you do leave the tranny in Park -- with the transfer case in Neutral, the front and rear shafts spin free, transmission doesn't matter.
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:41 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
what if my wheel turns with the key off ? leave it off ? tans should be in park or n ? also uysing my brake buddy for the first time tomm should be interesting were headed to nokomis at the royal coachmen !
Old 09-04-2010, 12:54 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Your transmission should be in PARK and your transfer case in NEUTRAL. If you leave the transmission in neutral, you stand a chance of it spinning by inertia from the shafts in the transfer case. This can cause serious transmission damage due to lack of fluid circulation on an automatic transmission.

With all Jeeps that have automatic transmissions you should shift the transmission to neutral, then shift your transfer case to neutral. The process of shifting the transfer case is different on assorted year model and types of jeeps, consult your owners manual for the proper shift procedure. Once the transfer case is in neutral, with the engine running, shift to drive and then reverse to ensure there is no motion and the transfer case is actually disengaged. Now shut your engine OFF before shifting the transmission into park. The transmission will be spinning from being in drive or reverse for the check and with no drivetrain linked to it to stop it from spinning you must shut the engine off. If you leave the engine running and shift to park the PARK pin in the transmission will engage a spinning geared ring and make a loud grinding noise until it slows the transmission and engages the gear tooth. Repeatedly doing that will wear down the gear and park pin and the park position will fail to hold the vehicle from moving eventually.

As far as key and position, again consult your owners manual. This also varies according to year model and type of Jeep.
Parkerrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:58 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdave View Post
what if my wheel turns with the key off ?
You WANT the wheel to be free to turn when you're towing 4 down. With a tow dolly, it's the opposite -- wheels need to be locked in position.
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:47 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
thanks all it was a great couple of weeks the hook up is so sweet ! you can see it in my avatar ! i love it ! so easy its crazy !