Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-18-2015, 04:46 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
GMC Acadia and baseplates

I love towing my Jeep, but without air/radio/cruise we need something that can take us across state when we are in FL for 3 months of the year. So I was considering a new Cherokee but realized it would be too much the size and use of my AWD Acadia, so I started thinking about just towing the Acadia. I need the Acadia to tow my 4 place trailer snowmobile and I need 3 row seating and wide enough inside to carry plywood. Plus in FL I need to launch our 19' boat. But I will be a good 1200 pounds heavier than my 3600 pound jeep and will be pushing the tow capacity (5000 pounds) of my gasser.

So, anyone with experience towing that platform (GMC Acadia, Chevy Traverse or Buick Enclave) with a gasser?

And second, is there a place to find gently used baseplates and tow bars? The BlueOx seems to be the least obtrusive and doesn't need a crossbar from what I read on their site.

CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2015, 06:37 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Just got rid of our 2013 Wrangler Sport and started towing a GMC Terrain. Similar although not exact weight as the Wrangler. Nice comfortable ride. Yes, the Acadia does seem like it may push the limit of a gasser. Why not consider the Terrain...the smaller Acadia?

Old 04-19-2015, 08:16 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDogRanch View Post
Just got rid of our 2013 Wrangler Sport and started towing a GMC Terrain. Similar although not exact weight as the Wrangler. Nice comfortable ride. Yes, the Acadia does seem like it may push the limit of a gasser. Why not consider the Terrain...the smaller Acadia?
I considered it, then realized it didn't have the towing capacity (available only with the 4 cyl) , 3rd row seating and couldn't haul plywood.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 10:51 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Understand. That's why we bought a 6cyl. With 3500 lb towing vs the 1500 lbs. of the 4 Cyl. That's enough for us to haul our small enclosed trailer when we go to the lumber yard etc. But, it would probably still be an issue for your boat. And, of course, no third row. Don't know what you'll find, but, good luck in your search.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:01 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The 3.6L V6 is available on Terrains with the more SLE-2 or SLT trim options. But definitely less seating than the Acadia and no plywood sheets inside either.

You should have two concerns on the Acadia weight: (1) possibly exceeds hitch rating (5000 lbs), and (2) pushing the coach GCWR limit.

My 2007 Acadia SLE weighs in at about 4900 when we tow, and usually has some gear in it too.

If your coach is loaded up to or very near its GVWR, than adding a 4900+ ln toad means yu are pushing the GCWR too. That's max stress on the chassis and probably noticeable on performance as well. But if you are well under the GVWR on the coach, then the combined weight isn't going to be too bad and you can probably get by ok.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote