Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-03-2005, 11:10 AM   #1

I have purchased the parts to install the additional light in the existing tail light housing. But when I remove the housing on my 05 canyon the existing locations are all rounded and there are no flat surfaces. My question is if you installed your this way, how did you do it? Did you use the rounded surfaces? The kit looks like you need a flat surface to mount the new light socket to..

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2005, 11:10 AM   #2

I have purchased the parts to install the additional light in the existing tail light housing. But when I remove the housing on my 05 canyon the existing locations are all rounded and there are no flat surfaces. My question is if you installed your this way, how did you do it? Did you use the rounded surfaces? The kit looks like you need a flat surface to mount the new light socket to..

Old 08-08-2005, 12:14 PM   #3

Just bumping his up to the front
Old 08-08-2005, 05:36 PM   #4
JRP

Ken, I saw your question in the other thread, but I'm not clear what lights youre asking about. You might need to give more details on what type of lights, why and where youre adding them. I've been towing my 2005 Canyon for 7 months now and havnt added any lights, so I'm not able to answer or understand your question.

Jim
Old 08-08-2005, 07:13 PM   #5

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to George Miklas
I'm going to assume that you bought the Blue Ox kit. I made my own kit for my Plymouth Voyager. I went to a junk yard and got actual Voyager/Caravan sockets. Like you, I had no flat surface left to drill the holes, so I had to utilize a radiused surface. I actually got a pretty good fit. Many, many miles now, and they have never fallen out.

George
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 07:13 AM   #6

The Blue Ox kit is the way to go. I have use it on three of my car and finding the right spot can be tough the work.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:14 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by IrishBear:
The Blue Ox kit is the way to go. I have use it on three of my car and finding the right spot can be tough butt they work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 08-09-2005, 08:58 AM   #8

What I have is the "Roadmaster" lighting kit it calls for you to drill a 1" hole in the light housing (the same chamber that the existing lights reside) to mount the socket. Again all of the surfaces are rounded and was not sure if the socket would seal properly.

Thanks to all who have responded...
Old 08-11-2005, 07:38 AM   #9

Ken what you need to do is call Blue Ox customer service 888-425-5382 and have them Email you the installation instruction for the base plate i think it is the BX1656. Where to put the socket is in there. This is how I found out where it went.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:16 PM   #10

So where did you end up putting them? I have a 2005 Colorado and I was thinking of the bottow half of the middle light socket. Anyone using diodes on a colorado/canyon?

I bought this kit for my cherokee which had extra light sockets but never installed it and bought new toad.

Joe
Old 09-20-2005, 05:02 PM   #11

Well Joe, I haven't put them in. I called Roadmaster and was told that the kit I had would not fit. The one that I would need to go with is the one with diodes. I really do NOT want to do this since I have heard (second hand)that you can have problems down the road. The problem with drilling the holes is finding a flat spot and making sure the bulbs do not touch once in the housing. I would hate to drill a 1 inch hole in the housing only to find out the bulbs will not fit $$$$.

So right now I am planning on going the diode route....unless someone has a better idea...
Old 09-20-2005, 09:57 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
I got a set of water-tight LED trailer lights, on which I put velcro. I put velcro on the top of the tailgate. It sticks to the bedliner pretty well. I ran wires to the front near the tow base plate and the other end into the bed with the 4 pin connectors on each end.

The lights are brighter than the truck lights and there is no invasion of anything on the truck.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 05:25 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Wireless tail lights.

I don't have these but wish I did.

http://www.wirelesstowlights.com/

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 10:55 AM   #14

ken & sandy, I pm'd florabama who has a canyon setup to tow. Let's see what he is doing. Else I think I will be going the diode route as well.

Joe