Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:30 AM   #1

GMC Terrain Dinghy Towing Brake Problem

I tow a 2013 GMC Terrain using a Tow Daddy lighting system and Blue Ox braking system. Recently during a tow for some reason the brakes were activating on my Terrain resulting in the entire brake system being burnt up. As the vehicle was under warranty I took it to the dealer. They advised the Tow Daddy system likely was back feeding into the vehicle system causing the problem. Has anyone had a similar problem?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2015, 07:40 AM   #2

Sounds like an electrical problem perhaps a wire shorting out or grounding. Never heard of this on any RV site

Old 10-29-2015, 08:12 AM   #3

I once left the car running while towing the car. The brakes, of course, locked up and put a flat spot on all four tires and damaged the brakes also. It was expensive.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:27 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
How could two completely unrelated systems which share no common wiring connections be causing this? Your dealer is grasping at straws.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:15 AM   #5

GMC Terrain Dinghy Towing Problem

I also tend to believe that the dealer may be using this as an excuse to get out of the warranty repair costs. With that said, the problem could be associated with the blue ox supplemental braking system. During the second part of my trip I did not install the braking system and did not have the braking problem. I am not sure though as this problem has been intermittent.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:16 PM   #6

I tow 2014 GMC Terrain with complete Blue Ox system only problem ever was own stupidity
Nice combination for family travel.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:55 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Probably not a lighting backfeed, since that should show up every time you tow. If this is a new, sudden problem, then likely something shorted and triggered the Blue Ox to brake. For example, a wire shorts in the plug at the back of the coach or the umbilical cord to the toad. I doubt if your GMC waranty/dealer is involved unless he also installed the Blue Ox or lighting.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:30 PM   #8

I tow a 2011 Terrain. Blue Ox and Patriot Brake. I removed the rear tail light assemblies and installed an additional bulb that is wired back to the coach. This bulb serves as brake and tail light.
Are you by chance using the feet that came with the brake control on the carpeted floor? If so my suggestion is to not use them as the brake can bind up - I think the seat is too soft and during setup the entire brake unit moves backward too far. Then when the brakes are released the unit cannot slide back to the spot it was in and gets out of position. This repeats twice more and can really get bound up. I let mine slide on the floor and it seems to work.
Do you have the brake status indicator mounted in the coach? It will alert you to a issue with the brakes and may prevent prolonged application of the toad brakes.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:50 AM   #9

I was using a thin board I made to put under the brake to assure it slid well, but at an RV show the Blue Ox representative recommended I remove the board and take the feet off of the brake. I do have the monitor on the dash which should show if the brake is engaged, but cannot recall if I may have forgot to turn it on when this problem occurred.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:08 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Does the Blue Ox system have a way to bleed down the vacuum in your brake system before you start out, or do you have to do that manually? If it's a manual operation, I am going to suggest you forgot to do that before you left. With your power brakes still active, the slightest bump of your brake pedal is going to trigger your brakes.

I met to people this past weekend who had the same thing happen with Brake Buddy units - and they admitted they had not pumped the brake pedal before they started out. Not to sound like a commercial, but this is why I use an RVi2 Brake system.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:00 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
You have got a lot of good advice but the best advice I could give is get a M&G brake system, plug in and go. The installation is easy there are a couple threads here on the how on this forum.
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:05 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I suggest using an IR gun every time you stop.

Good exercise while you do your walk around.

Tags
brake, tow, towing