Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2016, 02:22 PM   #1

GMC Terrain FWD death wobble

Hello forum, my '13 Terrain SLE has just developed a front wheel wobble and am curious if any one here has experienced the same. So far it has been at low speeds and seems to be initiated by a bump in the road. I am towing with a Roadmaster Falcon all terrain.
Road master tech tells me a front wheel wobble will always be vehicle related and not tow bar. Any input is appreciated
Alangrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2016, 02:38 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here with us in the forum.

Have you had the front end of the GMC looked at by a mechanic?

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:52 PM   #3

Not yet, just happened for the first time yesterday 7/20
Old 07-21-2016, 08:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alangrissom View Post
Hello forum, my '13 Terrain SLE has just developed a front wheel wobble and am curious if any one here has experienced the same. So far it has been at low speeds and seems to be initiated by a bump in the road. I am towing with a Roadmaster Falcon all terrain.
Road master tech tells me a front wheel wobble will always be vehicle related and not tow bar. Any input is appreciated

Let me guess, your Terrain is a 4 cyl model with electric steering. If so the Roadmaster tech is correct. The front end geometry on that vehicle lacks sufficient positive caster to keep the wheels centered during the condition known a "bump steer" that you experienced. The only known "fix" to date is to loop a couple of long bungee cords through the steering wheel and attach them to the bottom of the driver's seat frame while towing. This will keep a centering force on the steering wheel while going over bumps in the road at slow speeds.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:45 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
Let me guess, your Terrain is a 4 cyl model with electric steering. If so the Roadmaster tech is correct. The front end geometry on that vehicle lacks sufficient positive caster to keep the wheels centered during the condition known a "bump steer" that you experienced.
With all due respect, I cry foul here. I've been towing my FWD 4 cal Terrain since Nov of 2010 (over 20,000 miles of towing) and not once has this happened to me. In addition, I frequent several different rv forums, subscribe to several rv magazines, and know a whole bunch of Terrain owners who tow their cars and I have never heard of this happening with ANY Terrain.

I suspect that the OP's car has a malfunction of some type that is specific to his car and his car only....not FWD 4 cyl Terrains in general.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:17 PM   #6

Thanks Lanerd, going in to be checked out next Tuesday. A question for you, do you pull the recommended fuse when towing? I do and it could be the Dynamic Traction Control is disabled when I do.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:20 PM   #7

The Terrains former life as a Saturn Vue proved to be an able towed vehicle
Old 07-22-2016, 07:57 AM   #8

Quote:

The Terrain like its companion Equinox have similar characteristics. I have 2015 EQ. 4 cylinder. I have experienced once. A bump while turning and that forces the toad, tow bar off angle or tighter turn. Starts the wobble if you have not rolled out sufficiently before stepping the throttle. Just slow down stop, then start slowly you should be good.
Like others throw a single bungee from bottom center of wheel to seat bottom rail. No issues to report in over two months pulling.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - 2008 Monaco Camelot 40 PDQ
Old 07-22-2016, 09:50 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The Terrains former life as a Saturn Vue proved to be an able towed vehicle
I don't think the Terrain and the older Saturn View have a lot in common. The Terrain shares the same platform as the Equinox. It's mechanically similar to the platform used in the Vue, but the Equinox/Terrain is a larger version of the chassis

The Vue became the Chevy Captiva model, sold mostly to fleet buyers. I don't think GMC ever sold a Vue-based SUV.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I don't think the Terrain and the older Saturn View have a lot in common. The Terrain shares the same platform as the Equinox. It's mechanically similar to the platform used in the Vue, but the Equinox/Terrain is a larger version of the chassis

The Vue became the Chevy Captiva model, sold mostly to fleet buyers. I don't think GMC ever sold a Vue-based SUV.
2008 to 2010 Vue and 2012 to 2015 Captiva share same power train as Terrain and Equinox. This includes steering and suspension.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:22 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks Lanerd, going in to be checked out next Tuesday. A question for you, do you pull the recommended fuse when towing? I do and it could be the Dynamic Traction Control is disabled when I do.

Yes. However instead of pulling a fuse, I made a fuse by-pass switch and mounted on my center console. Flip the switch and the fuse is taken out of the circuit.

Not sure of all electronics that is disabled by disconnecting this fuse...you may be correct.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:51 PM   #12

Thanks Ron, talked to the dealer today and they didn't know either. Going in next week just to be safe
Old 07-23-2016, 07:18 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks Ron, talked to the dealer today and they didn't know either. Going in next week just to be safe
I towed a 2010 for a year with no problem also but I also believe the death wobble is connected to the electric steering, I would do as suggested by Boomer and use the bungee as it will solve the problem until or if GM solves the problem with a new harness that keeps 12 volts to the electric steering.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:28 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have towed our 2013 Equinox for several years and only once had a wobble happen about 2 years ago, and that was at a slow speed. 2 WD 4 Cyl. Have done nothing since.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote