Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:31 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimsy View Post
I don't personally own a diesel pusher yet but we're tracking to retire next year and a bus is in our future. I've been looking for golf cart options and found this site.

Cricket SX-3 Mini Golf Cart €” Humphreys' Outdoor Power

Since I'm thinking of a CRV (and noticed you had one) I emailed Humphreys and asked if it would fit in back of CRV. They hadn't tested it but lo and behold, a few weeks later I get an apology for not testing it sooner and a video showing them putting the golf cart into the back of a Humphrey's employee CRV.

I don't know if this is what you want but if you're going to get one, be sure to give Humphrey's a call. For a guy who told them up from I didn't own a motor home yet and they still went out of their way to answer my questions, they are getting my business.

Rick
I've seen a Cricket and it is very small. Not enough room for me, DW and our two dogs who love to ride. Besides, one of my DW's early Christmas presents was a customized Club Car electric that I had done for her:

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2014, 07:58 AM   #16
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Wow, nice looking cart! You'll be popular in the 4th of July parade.

2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:07 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
Wow, nice looking cart! You'll be popular in the 4th of July parade.
Yes, she wanted a car with a patriotic theme. The guy who did the paint work was a real artist.

Thanks
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:37 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
I have been looking at F150's to tow. Although they offer a 6-1/2' bed, they are rare, especially used. I found this doing a search for loading a golf cart in a F150. Blue Ox Tailgator.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 12:21 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
I have been looking at F150's to tow. Although they offer a 6-1/2' bed, they are rare, especially used. I found this doing a search for loading a golf cart in a F150. Blue Ox Tailgator.
I've been a fabricator for ever and that's not a bad idea AT ALL! It would allow you to extend the length of your pickup bed and yet, if setup correctly, not put ANY WEIGHT on the tailgate. As many of you in pickup land know, todays tailgates are SERIOUSLY WEAK! They're capable of holding a mans weight as he climbs up or down on them but, taking on some serious weight of a golf car, Goldwing, full-dress Harley, well that's putting some serious potential damage to them. Once they "kink" they're done.

Now, yeah I know, many of you haul lots of weight on yours and there's been no damage. Well folks, that's ok. But, personally, I'd rather not take the chance. If I were SMLranger, and was leaning towards a new F-150 and, could only get 6.5' bed, and wanted even a few inches longer for good support of my golf car, I'd SERIOUSLY take a look at that support unit. I could build that exact piece for way less than half but, if one's not capable or does not have the tools or work shop for such fabrication, then even the $440.00 they want for it is not all that bad, considering,

1. It's not permanent
2. It will support considerably more than the EXPENSIVE tailgate
3. It makes for a longer bed without having it all the time (use only when needed)
4. Removable even at a campsite so you have continued use of your truck bed while camping

Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:04 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post

First, that gizmo looks like a great idea and if we get a truck, I will certainly look into it.

We want the Super Crew truck and most all of them on dealers' lots have the short 5.5' bed. The wheelbase of my golf car is 66". There is a fellow here at Ocean Lakes in MB with a Club Car like ours and a short bed crew cab F150. He loads the GC with ramps and the rear wheels do sit partially on the open tailgate. He has no tailgate reinforcement which I think is unwise. He did have a fairly long set of folding loading ramps which he says the golf car climbs easily.

I've seen another aftermarket device that basically replaces the OEM cables that hold the tailgate and are supposed to provide better support.

The good news is that a standard length GC will fit in the short bed truck but certainly some method of supporting the tailgate will be necessary.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:24 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
The good news is that a standard length GC will fit in the short bed truck but certainly some method of supporting the tailgate will be necessary.
That's good to hear.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:00 AM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
First, that gizmo looks like a great idea and if we get a truck, I will certainly look into it.

We want the Super Crew truck and most all of them on dealers' lots have the short 5.5' bed. The wheelbase of my golf car is 66". There is a fellow here at Ocean Lakes in MB with a Club Car like ours and a short bed crew cab F150. He loads the GC with ramps and the rear wheels do sit partially on the open tailgate. He has no tailgate reinforcement which I think is unwise. He did have a fairly long set of folding loading ramps which he says the golf car climbs easily.

I've seen another aftermarket device that basically replaces the OEM cables that hold the tailgate and are supposed to provide better support.

I'll jump in here, because I haul a golf cart in a 2013 F-150 Supercab with an 8 ft bed, tailgate up. I was very concerned about the weight on the tailgate for a shorter bed, and the Club Car that I have fills the full length of the 8 ft, less about 4 inches.

I used a Big Boy ramp (outer walking rails rather than center motorcycle rail, and that was sufficient). I drive right up; need to make sure you won't crown...10 foot ramps minimum.

No the downside...it is hard not to be hard on the golf cart. The ramps have to go somewhere, and they won't go under. That means the sides, and it seemed no matter how secure I got them, they would vibrate loose and get into the cart. So recommend you consider some type of pads for the sides of the carts, particularly if you are going to carry anything else in back. Second, need to have some type of soft bumper on the front of the cart as you'll damage the from of the cart if it rubs on the front of the bed. Also, the F-150 with the 8 ft bed is a pain to park in parking lots when using as a toad. JMHO

That said, it works...you'll just want to take precautions to preserve that good looking paint. Last, you need to plan on a tie down approach for the top of the cart. I am told that the wind will pull the top right through the bolts holding it on. No experience...just relating what I've been told.

A last bit of advice....I also have a Hydralift for my motorcycle. The folks that installed (Eagle Mountain) actually came up with the first conversion for golf carts, that Hydralift adapted; you're looking at a cost as installed of probably around $8000. It will work well, but will add about 14-1600#s to the back of the coach (cart and lift; really any lift is the same issue). Make sure your coach can handle that weight. You feel the weight the worst in a tag on what we call the hoop de doos (those dips that are just deep and long enough to provide a flying rear end when you come out. JMHO
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:13 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
I'll jump in here, because I haul a golf cart in a 2013 F-150 Supercab with an 8 ft bed, tailgate up. I was very concerned about the weight on the tailgate for a shorter bed, and the Club Car that I have fills the full length of the 8 ft, less about 4 inches.

I used a Big Boy ramp (outer walking rails rather than center motorcycle rail, and that was sufficient). I drive right up; need to make sure you won't crown...10 foot ramps minimum.

No the downside...it is hard not to be hard on the golf cart. The ramps have to go somewhere, and they won't go under. That means the sides, and it seemed no matter how secure I got them, they would vibrate loose and get into the cart. So recommend you consider some type of pads for the sides of the carts, particularly if you are going to carry anything else in back. Second, need to have some type of soft bumper on the front of the cart as you'll damage the from of the cart if it rubs on the front of the bed. Also, the F-150 with the 8 ft bed is a pain to park in parking lots when using as a toad. JMHO

That said, it works...you'll just want to take precautions to preserve that good looking paint. Last, you need to plan on a tie down approach for the top of the cart. I am told that the wind will pull the top right through the bolts holding it on. No experience...just relating what I've been told.

A last bit of advice....I also have a Hydralift for my motorcycle. The folks that installed (Eagle Mountain) actually came up with the first conversion for golf carts, that Hydralift adapted; you're looking at a cost as installed of probably around $8000. It will work well, but will add about 14-1600#s to the back of the coach (cart and lift; really any lift is the same issue). Make sure your coach can handle that weight. You feel the weight the worst in a tag on what we call the hoop de doos (those dips that are just deep and long enough to provide a flying rear end when you come out. JMHO
Dave, thanks for all the tips and things I need to consider. I had planned to provide padding for the front of the GC, expecting the front plastic trim would make contact with and rub the truck bed. Didn't know about tying down the top. The dealer who did the custom work just said to make sure I fold the windshield down when hauling it. Being a boater (too many dang toys ), I would think some boat fenders between the stored ramps and the GC might work.

A crew cab with 8' bed is a loooooong truck. That would be a no go for us. I had seen some 7' folding ramps that appeared to have a bit of a hump in their hinge area. I figured that was to prevent the cart from dragging its bottom as it enters the truck bed.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:19 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
OK, what about the Blue Ox sport carrier?

Blue Ox SportCarrier I for 3-Receiver Hitch - 84" Long x 48" Wide - 1,000 lbs Blue Ox Hitch Cargo Carrier SC2100

Still would need to install the additional receivers on the coach but it looks like it could meet my desires for the following (which the Hydralift does not):

1. Do not have to completely remove the tow bar to load/unload the platform
2. Platform folds up against the coach when not in use
3. Blue Ox claims it will support 1,000 pounds... my GC is just under 900.
4. Much less cost than Hydralift or a truck and all the extra stuff needed to load the GC in the truck

My concerns or questions:

1. Seems like there would be a lot of torque from the tow bar and toad on that elongated center receiver.
2. Based on my four corner weights with the coach loaded for travel, I still have about 5,200 pounds of capacity on the combined drive/tag axles. Plus I am at capacity (maybe a bit over) on the steer so wonder if the added weight on the rear end might unload the steer a bit.
3. Just wonder how that thing handles 1000 pounds bouncing around?
Old 12-07-2014, 02:51 PM   #25

Gary,
I can tell you from over 8,000 miles of experience, your coach will barely feel that extra weight back there if, you were to go with the Blue Ox and hauling your G/C that way. As you and I have talked, ours is a 36' single axle rear and, it handled the Hydralift and the weight of the Wing, (also right at 900 lbs.) and it NEVER gave me any ill handling effects.

No wandering, no porpoising, no damage, no funny tire wear, NOTHING! I was told my first born would die, my roof would be torn off, the back of the coach would crack, many on the roads would be killed if I were near them with my setup and more. Well, my first born is still with us.

Now, a good fabricator can have a Blue Ox system installed on the back of your coach in about 2 + days. I'd be leery of one taking less time. That's some serious weight that's going to be added back there and, some very high quality work must be done to insure your golf cart will be there at the end of a days drive on some of Americas "less than perfect freeways and roadways".

We watched the Wing, (in the camera monitor on the coach) bounce sometimes very violently due to some of the lousiest roads in America. One in particular, the road from Grand Junction to Montrose CO comes to mind. It's a 55 or 60 mph road and some of it I had to hit at as low as 25 or I was sure to do some sort of damage back there.

One of the good parts about using a truck and, hauling your cart that way is the fact that you'd have good mobility when camping and, even while in your travels. Your truck, even with the cart in it, can be used for cruising around and running here and there.

Whereas, if you only have the G/C, you're seriously restricted in mobility unless, you plan on towing the CRV or, something else in which case, you're all set. I certainly don't blame you for ruling out the Hydralift due to the fact that the hitch/slider must be removed before you can lower the lift to the loading/un loading position. That and of course, there's always the price difference. I was always under the impression that the Hydralift is rated at 1000 lbs. so, what was their reasoning for "mods" if you were to want one for hauling your golf cart? Especially if it weighs only 900 lbs.

Personally, and again speaking from experience in hauling that much weight, BOTH WAYS, I'm kind-a 50-50 on the preference. The Hydralift is without a doubt, the best, most efficient, least amount of moving parts, less complicated lift/carrier on the market but, BUT, it's also the most expensive.

I looked at the Blue Ox, the "Cruiser lift" and, Over Built, I really didn't like all the pulleys and cable turns and pivot points etc. on all of those. The Cruiser lift was also hydraulic but, a single cylinder and, to me looked un-stable.

In comparison of the Hydralift and the Blue Ox in terms of convenience vs strength/stability, I'd rather have the inconvenience of the removal of the slider to lower the Hydralift all the way down vs the torque applied to the tow bar and the front of the toads steering tires/suspension etc. as you "tight turn it" in camp ground parking lots, parking lots, city and or county streets with tight turns etc.

These are just things to consider. Everyone's got a preference. You know the reason I changed from the Hydralift to hauling the Wing with a truck so, just some more info for you to chew on. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:12 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
How about a enclosed trailer......CRV & Golf cart inside, along with a lot of other stuff........everything always clean.......and if you "Full time".......you have a garage to hang out in on rainy days...........and do some alone time-man things.......
I was going to wait till I retired, but bought one early.......love it. Lots of room for a get together if it is raining out......Just a thought....
Old 12-07-2014, 05:48 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Palehorse, thanks for the suggestion. We already briefly considered a trailer but just don't think that is practical for us. If we were going to the same place all the time and knew there was always room to maneuver, store the trailer, etc. maybe.

FireUp, the plan would be to always have the toad along on any trip. I still think we will end up with a truck but I want to explore all reasonable (for us) alternatives. Actually, I am not thrilled with the idea of hanging anything on the back of my coach, especially if there might be fiberglass cutting to accommodate the hardware. I plan to call Blue Ox tomorrow and gather some info relative installation. My main concern with this particular device is the length of the center receiver which necessarily moves the tow bar another 4+ feet behind the coach.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:00 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fella in our park tows his Colorado P/U with a 10' trailer with the golf cart on it. Has done it for years with no problem.

Steve N Sal is online now   Reply With Quote