Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2014, 06:16 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
I can't name them for you, but "triple towing" is not legal in many, if not most states. I've seen it more out west than I have east of the Mississippi. In some states it may be legal only on the interstates and/or other designated routes.

No doubt we do have members that do this, I suspect you'll hear from a few.
Triple-towing is towing three trailers/vehicles, not two. Otherwise what would you call towing one trailer? The mentioned towing a car and a trailer= doubles-towing.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2014, 07:55 PM   #30

Blue Ox works great for carrying, but you better have an Air Force 1 for braking. My Brake Buddy cost 2 tow bars and a $5,000.00 front end job on the Jeep. The additional 6 plus feet of hitch throws the tow bar way out of alignment with any change in plane. One emergency braking put the tow bar up over the hood. The second one 2 weeks ago on I4 buckled it under the Jeep and broke it at the knuckle. Thank God for the safety cables.

Camping Connection installed the AF1 and it worked perfectly on the way home. Tim and the guys at CC are awesome.
Graniteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:42 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graniteman View Post
Blue Ox works great for carrying, but you better have an Air Force 1 for braking. My Brake Buddy cost 2 tow bars and a $5,000.00 front end job on the Jeep. The additional 6 plus feet of hitch throws the tow bar way out of alignment with any change in plane. One emergency braking put the tow bar up over the hood. The second one 2 weeks ago on I4 buckled it under the Jeep and broke it at the knuckle. Thank God for the safety cables.

Camping Connection installed the AF1 and it worked perfectly on the way home. Tim and the guys at CC are awesome.
I do have the AF1 on my toad and it works great.

However, are you saying you do have the Blue Ox sport carrier? If so, are you still using it?
Old 12-08-2014, 05:47 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graniteman View Post

Do you attribute this to the extra length with the Blue Ox Lift or the performance of the Brake Buddy?
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 02:37 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Update: So guess I'm back to the truck idea. Talked today to Blue Ox. The steel platform on their Sports Carrier weighs 285 pounds. With no lift assist, they acknowledge that it will generally take two people to lift the platform up to the storage position when it is not being used or if you want/need to store it upright against the coach.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:34 PM   #34

Scotty, I think it had more to do with the Brake Buddy, but it was the combination of both. I had 10,000 miles without the GC carrier and no problems. I had about 4,000 miles with the combo and no problems. The first E stop was cresting a hill that put the tow bar at an extremely sharp inclined angle increased by a nose dive from the coach. This one was on my 99 40' Tourmaster.

We just had everything transferred to our 43' Allegro Bus. The tow bar was perfectly aligned before we left for Florida. The E stop this time happened going down a small grade, this time the Jeep climbed over the tow bar. I haven't done an E stop yet but I feel sure the problem is fixed.

smlranger- I do have the sport carrier and tow our Unlimited behind it. It is a very long unit (over 70' I believe). I am still using it. If I wouldn't have had the AF1 installed, it would be for sale.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1622.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	270.9 KB
ID:	80757   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1623.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	262.9 KB
ID:	80758  

Old 12-08-2014, 04:45 PM   #35

Here is the first setup....and the aftermath
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0726.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	294.2 KB
ID:	80760   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0727.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	299.1 KB
ID:	80761  

Name:	IMG_0969.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	345.4 KB
ID:	80762   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0508.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	319.3 KB
ID:	80763  

Old 12-08-2014, 06:20 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
I can see where sudden vertical movements could be amplified. You say you towed without the lift with the same setup and liked it. The reason I ask is because i have my mind set on a Blue Ox tow bar and a RVI Brake 2 system.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:43 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
I can see where sudden vertical movements could be amplified. You say you towed without the lift with the same setup and liked it. The reason I ask is because i have my mind set on a Blue Ox tow bar and a RVI Brake 2 system.
Agree that setup with the long extension for the center receiver just makes me nervous. When all is said and done, if I was going to use something attached to the rear of the coach for the golf car, the hydralift would certainly be the better choice since it does not put your tow bar so far behind the coach.

We will go truck shopping soon.

As far as braking systems, I really believe in the true proportional systems and I've had the Air Force One on three vehicles (two Ford Explorers and now the CRV) and it just works great. Never had any issue. The AF1 is compatible with all toads and I just moved the gizmo from one toad to another. Plus the folks at SMI are great.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:39 PM   #38

I have the blueox sc2100 carrier.and tow MKX 5000 lb. My golf cart is g29 gas about 700 lb.It work very well The dips in the roads make the cart rock but no damage . I can not tell it is back there with the 400ISL and the airforce one.