Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2014, 05:36 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Golf Car Hauling options

I am still considering the options for hauling our golf car along on trips. Have narrowed the choices to the following options:

1. Get a 1/2 ton pickup as toad and put GC in bed. Don't really need a truck otherwise but realize this is likely best option an the one I see most often in RV parks. It appears most folks use a small electric winch to get the GC in the truck bed. We would need at least a super cab (not the full crew cab) and it seems the 6 1/2 foot bed is only option. Rear wheels of GC will certainly need to rest on the tailgate.

2. Tow a utility trailer behind my CRV. We do have a nice aluminum 10' utility trailer with ramp but I am hesitant to tow a car towing a trailer. I've seen folks towing 5th wheels towing trailers and I did see a motorhome towing a truck with a boat trailer attached. I see all kinds of potential concerns with this option but DW says why buy a truck when we have the trailer? Is this legal in most/all states?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2014, 06:53 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I can't name them for you, but "triple towing" is not legal in many, if not most states. I've seen it more out west than I have east of the Mississippi. In some states it may be legal only on the interstates and/or other designated routes.

No doubt we do have members that do this, I suspect you'll hear from a few.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:03 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Coming back from Phoenix in Nov the last two years, it was the week prior to the Nascar race. We must have met 50 high end MH's towing a 1/2 ton CC pickup with a golf cart in the back on I-10. This is what I am planning to do until I decide whether I want a stacker.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:24 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I am still considering the options for hauling our golf car along on trips. Have narrowed the choices to the following options:

1. Get a 1/2 ton pickup as toad and put GC in bed. Don't really need a truck otherwise but realize this is likely best option an the one I see most often in RV parks. It appears most folks use a small electric winch to get the GC in the truck bed. We would need at least a super cab (not the full crew cab) and it seems the 6 1/2 foot bed is only option. Rear wheels of GC will certainly need to rest on the tailgate.

2. Tow a utility trailer behind my CRV. We do have a nice aluminum 10' utility trailer with ramp but I am hesitant to tow a car towing a trailer. I've seen folks towing 5th wheels towing trailers and I did see a motorhome towing a truck with a boat trailer attached. I see all kinds of potential concerns with this option but DW says why buy a truck when we have the trailer? Is this legal in most/all states?
Have to check but my recollection is the double towing is limited in many jurisdictions and is only legal if the first connection is a 5 wheel.

IMO there is one more option. Either a car trailer long enough to carry both the SUV and GC or a stacker trailer. In either case the vehicles will be inside out of the dust and dirt, away from prying eyes and you will be able to back up as necessary. Backing up may be pain but with that option more fueling stops become available should you need to get into tight spaces.

You have a great TV for towing a trailer so it is only a matter of how long you would feel comfortable with.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:29 AM   #5

Another thought. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1417444132.383570.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	451.5 KB
ID:	80312
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:47 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Or perhaps this:
Attached Images

Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:53 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowabeachbum View Post
Or perhaps this:
Is that the Hydralift? I have considered that, assuming it is cheaper than a pickup
Old 12-03-2014, 02:26 PM   #8

Although we are not currently in the market for a class A we will eventually have one and this question seems to stay with me all the time. We are hooked on the golf car thing.

The half ton pick up idea is probably the most secure. A small pick up would be better but I don't see many with beds that will work for a GC. The other is (FOR ME ATLEAST) a gas MH might be over the limit with a fullsize truck and GC which sways me to look at DP's. The trailer idea with a car and golf car is great but if your staying at a tight place for the weekend the trailer can be a bit much if the place doesn't have big pull thrus.

Someone should make a car slightly bigger than one of those street legal GC's that looks good (unlike a smart car) with no doors like a jeep. The old VW dune buggys come to mind. This way you could tow one vehical
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 03:59 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
I've been investigating this question all week and it looks like we will go with a pick up.

I really gave Hydralift serious consideration. However, after talking with someone who used one for a Gold Wing (and really liked it), talking with Hydralift and one of their installers, I have decided to reject that idea. The Hydralift is clearly a good option for a motorcycle, two light weight scooters or a gas golf car. However, they tell me that my electric Club Car will exceed the capacity of their lift with sports adaptor and that there are modifications that can be make to the lift to handle the additional weight. It gets pretty expensive at that point. Plus, I would have to completely remove my Blue Ox tow bar every time I load and unload the golf car.

Cruiserlift, similar to Hydralift, does not do a golf car option.

I don't want to do the dolly that handles a car plus the golf car. Had a dolly once, never want to do that again. Also don't want to go with a car hauler or stacker trailer.

So, that leaves a pick up. I'm partial to the F150 and just need to confirm if the Club Car will fit into the short bed on the crew cab model, with rear wheels partially on the tailgate. DW likes the crew cab better than the super cab with the smaller space behind the front seats (gotta have room for the dogs plus the 'stuff' we seem to bring along.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:20 PM   #10

Golf Cars

Another option is to rent a golf car. Some RV parks have rentals on site or nearby. Might be easier then hauling one if you have a toad. I know of some people who rent vehicles rather then pull a toad.

Iggy Konrad
2014 Tuscany XTE 40GQ
Oliver-Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 05:56 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I've been investigating this question all week and it looks like we will go with a pick up.

I really gave Hydralift serious consideration. However, after talking with someone who used one for a Gold Wing (and really liked it), talking with Hydralift and one of their installers, I have decided to reject that idea. The Hydralift is clearly a good option for a motorcycle, two light weight scooters or a gas golf car. However, they tell me that my electric Club Car will exceed the capacity of their lift with sports adaptor and that there are modifications that can be make to the lift to handle the additional weight. It gets pretty expensive at that point. Plus, I would have to completely remove my Blue Ox tow bar every time I load and unload the golf car.

Cruiserlift, similar to Hydralift, does not do a golf car option.

I don't want to do the dolly that handles a car plus the golf car. Had a dolly once, never want to do that again. Also don't want to go with a car hauler or stacker trailer.

So, that leaves a pick up. I'm partial to the F150 and just need to confirm if the Club Car will fit into the short bed on the crew cab model, with rear wheels partially on the tailgate. DW likes the crew cab better than the super cab with the smaller space behind the front seats (gotta have room for the dogs plus the 'stuff' we seem to bring along.
Not sure whether a cart fits in a 5-1/2' bed or not. My thoughts are to look for the mid size bed. The F150 offers a 5-1/2', 6-1/2', and 8 foot' beds. The 6-1/2 is the standard SB for the Super Duty's, but are hard to find on the F150's. You may have to order one. I have been looking.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:35 AM   #12

We have a gas MH and tow a Jeep wrangler. I am looking at getting a GC and a way to tow it. What I think I may do is get a Cricket GC it's smaller and cheaper than a full size cart but will carry 2 people. For the trailer I am looking at the Swivel Wheel Trailer. It is connected to the back of the tow vehicle at 2 points and does not pivot on a ball hitch. From what I have found in many states it is considered a hitch extender not a trailer.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:38 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Not sure whether a cart fits in a 5-1/2' bed or not. My thoughts are to look for the mid size bed. The F150 offers a 5-1/2', 6-1/2', and 8 foot' beds. The 6-1/2 is the standard SB for the Super Duty's, but are hard to find on the F150's. You may have to order one. I have been looking.
According to the F150 website, the Super Cab can be ordered with 6 1/2' or an 8'. The Supercrew (which I think we prefer) can be had with a 5 1/2' or 8'. Certainly don't want an 8' bed and don't really want to order since dealer's lots are now flush with 2014's since the new 2015 all aluminum body F150 is coming.

Wheelbase on my Club Car is 66" so it should fit with the rear wheels centered on the tailgate of the 5 1/2' bed (tailgate straps reinforced to handle the weight). There is a fellow in the RV park we are now in with a Club Car and a short bed F150 he towed behind his motorhome. I suspect he hauls the CC in the truck but I haven't seen him to ask.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:40 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
I don't personally own a diesel pusher yet but we're tracking to retire next year and a bus is in our future. I've been looking for golf cart options and found this site.

Cricket SX-3 Mini Golf Cart — Humphreys' Outdoor Power

Since I'm thinking of a CRV (and noticed you had one) I emailed Humphreys and asked if it would fit in back of CRV. They hadn't tested it but lo and behold, a few weeks later I get an apology for not testing it sooner and a video showing them putting the golf cart into the back of a Humphrey's employee CRV.

I don't know if this is what you want but if you're going to get one, be sure to give Humphrey's a call. For a guy who told them up from I didn't own a motor home yet and they still went out of their way to answer my questions, they are getting my business.

Rick
The Taj is offline   Reply With Quote