Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-10-2006, 05:16 AM   #1
Administrator Emeritus

Just wondering out loud how many of you have flat towed a pickup,with a golf cart in the bed....

I'm real happy with towing the 2005 Trailblazer, yet I'm trying to figure out a way to bring more toys....

Talked to Warpath about a stacker trailer,then you have the trailer to do something with when you get there....

Saw the tow dolly/golf cart carrier from racecityproducts, not crazy about that....

Came up with the idea of maybe trading the Trailblazer in on a 1500/2500 Chevy CC/SB pickup and hauling the cart in it...

Any thoughts?

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2006, 05:16 AM   #2
Administrator Emeritus

Just wondering out loud how many of you have flat towed a pickup,with a golf cart in the bed....

I'm real happy with towing the 2005 Trailblazer, yet I'm trying to figure out a way to bring more toys....

Talked to Warpath about a stacker trailer,then you have the trailer to do something with when you get there....

Saw the tow dolly/golf cart carrier from racecityproducts, not crazy about that....

Came up with the idea of maybe trading the Trailblazer in on a 1500/2500 Chevy CC/SB pickup and hauling the cart in it...

Any thoughts?

Old 07-10-2006, 07:22 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Bob,

I'm not really sure, but you might need to get a 4x4 to facilitate flat towing a 1500/2500 GM pickup without modifications. I suppose a 2wd manual shift would be OK.

It'd be worth investigating before investing.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:12 AM   #4

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Another option I forgot to mention is the Blue Ox Sport Carrier I

[More Details]
Old 07-10-2006, 09:45 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

We had somebody in the campground here last week, doing exactly what you describe. Had a fancy golf cart in the back of a Chevy 2500 pick-up.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:56 AM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

Thanks to all.....

Richard, If I were to buy a truck it'd definitely be a four by four....Blue Ox mentions the manual transfer case as a necessity though which confuses me since I use the electronic transfer case in the Trailblazer....

Bill....that's NEAT too!!
Old 07-10-2006, 12:31 PM   #7

Just my solution I tow a jeep cherokee and also take my golf cart along so I bought a small trailer to tow behind the jeep which is also hooked behind the Dutch Star. Have had many questions on being legal but no law enforcement here in S.C, can tell me I am doing wrong.Get a lot of looks and comments but til I am told I am wrong as do several of my friends do the same we are gonna still take the toys along.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:36 PM   #8

I pull an S-10, And haul golf cart in back. Had to make ramps to pull cart over wheel wells, with 6 ft bed wheels sat on tail gate.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:10 PM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 2001 Gas Dutch Star:
Just my solution I tow a jeep cherokee and also take my golf cart along so I bought a small trailer to tow behind the jeep which is also hooked behind the Dutch Star. Have had many questions on being legal but no law enforcement here in S.C, can tell me I am doing wrong.Get a lot of looks and comments but til I am told I am wrong as do several of my friends do the same we are gonna still take the toys along. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

50 State towing Laws Link

The above link mentions you're legal for doubles in South Carolina....
Old 07-12-2006, 05:06 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Blue Ox mentions the manual transfer case as a necessity though which confuses me since I use the electronic transfer case in the Trailblazer.... Confused </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think they mean a transfer case vs the automatic all wheel drive (AWD), which is a different beast than 4WD. As long as the transfer case has a "Neutral" position it should be towable. AWD doesn't have a neutral - it's always engaged and manages the power distribution to the wheels itself. Some AWD systems have a switch to turn it off, but that just forces 2WD mode. As far as I know, only the Honda AWD in the CRV permits towing and that's because Honda chooses to allow it and not becasue their AWD is different than anybody else's.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:01 PM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

Thanks Gary....I have confirmed it as you portray it... I spoke to the Chevrolet dealer that I know personally here and he went and retrieved an owners manual and indeed the situation in the C1500 is exactly as I do with the Trailblazer....

I'm looking toward a C1500 Silverado CC/SB sometime soon....