Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2014, 02:42 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Star View Post
My 2013 Ford C Max automatic flat tows by simply putting it in neutral and setting the key to position 1. Other than a 65mph limit, that's all it takes.
Have you tried it yet? You will need a charge line. Lots of stuff stays on and runs the battery down in about 2 1/2 hours if you don't have a charge line. Lots of people on this forum have confirmed this.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2014, 02:59 PM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
Good News For Ford TOADs (NTK's available again)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckinley View Post
Have you tried it yet? You will need a charge line. Lots of stuff stays on and runs the battery down in about 2 1/2 hours if you don't have a charge line. Lots of people on this forum have confirmed this.

Nothing stays on in position 1. Things stay on in position 2, referred to as ACC in the owners manual.

I'll find out for certain starting tomorrow, since so far I've only towed it home. I carry a battery charger if all else fails.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:32 PM   #59

Quote:

Nothing stays on in position 1. Things stay on in position 2, referred to as ACC in the owners manual.

I'll find out for certain starting tomorrow, since so far I've only towed it home. I carry a battery charger if all else fails.
Trust me, there are components still running in the first position. Not the least of which is the vacuum pump which will run every time you brake (if you have an auxiliary braking system).

I'm not making this up. It will run down the battery. Everyone who has towed a CMax or Fusion Hybrid has had this problem.

You can search this forum for Cmax and see what I'm talking about.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:36 PM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Trust me, there are components still running in the first position. Not the least of which is the vacuum pump which will run every time you brake (if you have an auxiliary braking system).

I'm not making this up. It will run down the battery. Everyone who has towed a CMax or Fusion Hybrid has had this problem.

Thanks for the heads of. This 3 day weekend trip tomorrow is just a three hour drive each way, and I've got the jump starter/battery charger. We are planning a 6000 mile, 8 week trip next month so I'll follow your advice and do some homework on it.

Thanks again.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Old 04-17-2014, 07:57 PM   #61

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

jmckinley is correct on this. I was working at Ford SEO when this issue was discovered. It seems the engineers forgot about that part of flat towing where several modules do not shut down while flat towing. The only way for the modules to shut down is when the shifter is in park. Once the park sense is enabled, then the modules will shut down completely. Some of use were pushing for an update in the owners guide for this. My 2013 Escape is similar. I use a tow dolly and if I leave the transmission in neutral the ABS light will be on when I start the engine. The ABS is one the entire time and detects no front wheel movement but rear movement. No biggie as driving over 10 MPH will turn it off but something to be aware of.

A charge line from the motorhome is a good option for keeping the battery charged. If that is not an option, a smart charger would be the next best option. They will charge the battery correctly unlike the "ole standard" multi amp charger.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:18 PM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
jmckinley is correct on this. I was working at Ford SEO when this issue was discovered. It seems the engineers forgot about that part of flat towing where several modules do not shut down while flat towing. The only way for the modules to shut down is when the shifter is in park. Once the park sense is enabled, then the modules will shut down completely. Some of use were pushing for an update in the owners guide for this. My 2013 Escape is similar. I use a tow dolly and if I leave the transmission in neutral the ABS light will be on when I start the engine. The ABS is one the entire time and detects no front wheel movement but rear movement. No biggie as driving over 10 MPH will turn it off but something to be aware of.

A charge line from the motorhome is a good option for keeping the battery charged. If that is not an option, a smart charger would be the next best option. They will charge the battery correctly unlike the "ole standard" multi amp charger.

Are you saying that after I set the key to position 1 I should move it into park, and then to neutral?

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Old 04-18-2014, 01:38 PM   #63

Quote:
Are you saying that after I set the key to position 1 I should move it into park, and then to neutral?
It wont make a difference. There is a switch in the shifter assembly that the instrument cluster is looking at. When in park I believe it is grounded and this is what the cluster is "seeing" to send out the "sleep" message on the CAN network. If not, no message. The only thing maybe hold the shifter button in when put it into park for a few minutes with the key off and put it into neutral to see if that works. But it can take up to 45 minutes for all modules to "go in sleep mode". So that is something im not sure if it would work or not. If the C-Max does not have a steering column lock with the key out, it may just work.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:06 PM   #64

2011 Escape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopers Mom View Post
That is such a bummer about the Ford Escapes...When I purchased mine all information said it could be towed 4 down...it is a 2011, THEN I read in the blogs that the transmissions are blowing up...is there something coming in the wind that might make it happen later down the line...WTH.
I have the 2011 Escape V-6, FWD. Took it back to Peoria Ford in AZ, and they lowered the fluid and gave me a sheet showing that it had been done. The mechanics intimated that we may still have trouble, but I guess, it would be covered by the warrantee. We towed it back to AR, about 1300 mi., with no apparent problems, but keeping fingers crossed.

The problem we had was that the battery was dead at the end of a 6 hr. tow. That was even with the "even brake" disabled. Has anyone used the aux. charging wired from the MH to charge the toad battery? The MH is a Damon Intruder, 02, F53.
philand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:32 PM   #65

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by philand View Post
I have the 2011 Escape V-6, FWD. Took it back to Peoria Ford in AZ, and they lowered the fluid and gave me a sheet showing that it had been done. The mechanics intimated that we may still have trouble, but I guess, it would be covered by the warrantee. We towed it back to AR, about 1300 mi., with no apparent problems, but keeping fingers crossed.

The problem we had was that the battery was dead at the end of a 6 hr. tow. That was even with the "even brake" disabled. Has anyone used the aux. charging wired from the MH to charge the toad battery? The MH is a Damon Intruder, 02, F53.

I recently had a aux charge line installed on my 08 Edge. It works great. Set the key in the first position forward from lock where all the dash lights go out, shift into neutral and go. Just pulled the Edge 1600 miles and all is good.

KiheiKen
2003 Country Coach Allure
2008 Ford Edge
KiheiKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:16 AM   #66

Location: I currently live in Temecula, CA, southern california wine country
Send a message via Skype™ to Coyotetr
The nuteral tow switch is only for select Ford vehicle, I called Victory after reading your message and they directed me to a Ford dealer parts web site, my 2011 Fusion is not in there. We have been towing the fusion 4 wheels flat but on a trip down to the Colorado River the transmission blew, the mechanic said it shifted itself into drive even though the stick was still in niutral. We are afraid to tow it now with the new transmission. Any other ideas on how to disconnect? I checke out a lube pump for the trans but with installation it's $2500.
Coyotetr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:04 AM   #67
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ouch $2500. that's a huge chunk of the cost of a suitable trailer or dolly.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:25 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotetr View Post
The nuteral tow switch is only for select Ford vehicle, I called Victory after reading your message and they directed me to a Ford dealer parts web site, my 2011 Fusion is not in there. We have been towing the fusion 4 wheels flat but on a trip down to the Colorado River the transmission blew, the mechanic said it shifted itself into drive even though the stick was still in niutral. We are afraid to tow it now with the new transmission. Any other ideas on how to disconnect? I checke out a lube pump for the trans but with installation it's $2500.
If that is what the tech said he is an idiot. With the exception of the transmission types in the newer Focus/Fiesta the transmission does not care at all what gear the shifter is in except park. Each position is 100% hydraulically applied. When the engine is not running there is absolutely no fluid pressure for anything in the transmission. So every clutch pack is fully released. I also hope they replaced the entire transmission assembly with the fluid cooler. When a flat tow failure occurs some of the plastic in the transmission gets so hot it liquefies and is forced through out the transmission. In fact I worked at Ford and was one of the people that were monitoring this issue. Because of the plastic contamination when the reman group gets these transmissions both case halves are replaced because there is no 100% guarantee that all the plastic will be removed in the fluid passages.

In just about all cases if the cooler is not replaced and at least both case halves are replaced, the transmission is very likely to fail.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:29 PM   #69

Oh man, I'm salivating. I see the service bulletin covers Explorers and Rangers back to about 2001. Anyone know if the NTK can be used/programmed on a 1997 Ranger 4x4?
Bob K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:26 AM   #70

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Although I own a 2004 Sport Trac I think I will stick to my Kar Kaddy SS. It allows me to tow whatever I want without worry about serious expense due to damage. I can rest easy knowing that my car will function well when I reach my destination, regardless of what I put on the dolly.
RTinVa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford