Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:17 AM   #71

New to Dinghy Towing and looking for some advice/guidance. Looking at going with 4 down versus dolly but have a couple of basic questions.

Install of the tow bar bracket requires the removal of the bumper core, will this affect the safety and warranty on the dinghy?

Does it affect the your ability to insurance the dinghy?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2014, 08:13 PM   #72

Gulf Streamers Club
When I put the base plate on my CRV I put everything back in the place where it came form. Even the styrofoam, held in with duck tape. When my CRV was sandwiched an totaled no one even ask about the base plate.

wagonmaster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:38 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by excurion04 View Post
last trip we towed our 2 WD 2008 ford escape on a 2 wheel car dolly. Did not like it at all!! Considering flat towing it next time, but based on what I have read so far and the owner's manual, not a good idea.
I emailed Victory Climate Systems recommended by "JohnQ" requesting info on Tow Neutral Switch for Escape, waiting to hear from them.

Any other suggestion? NEED HELP DON"T WANT TO GO BACK TO TOW DOLLY
I would like to get more info also, last year we towed our 2009 Escape on a Demco KarKaddy SS and it wasn't bad other than occasional storage issues, towed along great. We just got a newer rig though, went from a 04 HR Vactioner 37PCD gas to a 07 HR Ambasssador 40DFT330 Cummins, which came with a Blue Ox tow bar. My biggest concern is the rediculous Ford supplemental tow guide that says you need to take it to the dealer to lower the tranny fluid level for flat towing. So, I say to myself, what about when I want to drive the car? Doesn't make sense to me there has to be a better way.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:05 AM   #74

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnQ View Post
Good News For Ford TOADs

I was perusing another RV oriented website and the discussion in a thread caught my eye. The subject was the infamous & no longer in stock Ford Neutral Tow Switches, essential for Toad'ing Ford SUV's. Somebody thought a new company in Texas was now making and selling them for Ford Vehicles. So I googled up the company, Victory Climate Systems. Got an email first thing this morning with a positive confirmation, here's the particulars:

"We do manufacture Neutral Tow Kits for Ford vehicles. You can call and order them at 817-293-3331. We accept Mastercard and Visa

Victory Climate Systems
1-874-293-3331"

That is good news for us since we are considering a new (to us) Toad since the "Superior German Engineered VW Jetta" is a bit too delicate for the Goat Trails on our Rock Hounding adventures.
does anyone know if they make something like this for a 2004 Ford Expedition or 2010 Ford Raptor?
Old 01-26-2016, 04:24 PM   #75

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Do they make a ntk for a 2007 f150?
Old 01-26-2016, 06:09 PM   #76

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Good News for Ford Toads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzboy View Post
I would like to get more info also, last year we towed our 2009 Escape on a Demco KarKaddy SS and it wasn't bad other than occasional storage issues, towed along great. We just got a newer rig though, went from a 04 HR Vactioner 37PCD gas to a 07 HR Ambasssador 40DFT330 Cummins, which came with a Blue Ox tow bar. My biggest concern is the rediculous Ford supplemental tow guide that says you need to take it to the dealer to lower the tranny fluid level for flat towing. So, I say to myself, what about when I want to drive the car? Doesn't make sense to me there has to be a better way.
I had a 2010 Ford Escape all wheel drive and followed the instructions and had Ford lower the transmission fluid and I kept a copy of the work order. No need to fill it back up when you want to drive it. Had no issues with it but now have a 2014 Edge which does not require any change other than running the engine and shifting the transmission through the gears before towing and again if towing over 6 hours.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:57 AM   #77

Monaco Owners Club
How about that ! they are 10 miles from us...
I go by them ever other day - need to give them a call for our Explorer Sport
Old 03-18-2016, 07:07 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
Here's for the 2005 down. Had to make my own for my 2010.$20 with Ford parts

Second one is the invoice for the Park Limit switch which is the same limit switch they use in the 2006 on up Neutral tow kit. All you have to do is pull the center console apart and wire it up to trip when it's in neutral. I have the instructions someware but can't find it. I used the Neutral light off of my 2004. Same thing same plug hanging down.. I'll keep looking.

Found it. Everything you need Screw Ford.

Yea, you still have to have it flashed for "neutral Tow Enabled" Ford service probably won't even know what your talking about.

And notice in the parts, the new one is just a $5 limit switch and the earlier LED light. They want how much??
Do you HAVE to have the LED wired in? Instead of the limit switch for the center console on the v8 can you just have a toggle switch? That's what the wiring diagram looks like.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:39 PM   #79

Fleetwood Owners Club
Cmax Energy tow 4down nicely

we solved towing by getting a Ford Cmax energy. tow 4D in Neutral and remember to set the air to recirculating before shutdown. thanks for the thread
Old 04-01-2016, 08:28 AM   #80

I have an 08 Explorer 4x4 v8.
NTK was enabled in the ECU (I have a printout showing them enabling it)
I'm doing the DIY kit and its NOT working. I wired in a 12v led to the green 2 wire connector and ran a switch to the 2 pins in the transmission (required for v8). i start the car, put it in neutral, throw the trans switch, turn the key off, and no light on the led. I continue with the operation (brake + auto 4x4) and nothing happens.

on the green led i'm getting 13v on 1 pin and no hot and no ground on the 2nd pin. i assume its a switched ground when the NTK light is supposed to turn on.

on the transmission pins i'm getting 13v on the one pin and ground on the second pin, 0v on both when switch is thrown, meaning the switch is working.

Can anybody give some suggestions? I'm about to throw in the towel and get the $300 kit for the v8

SOLVED: Excuse my Noob-idity. I had the 12v led wired backwards. So of course current won't flow through an LED backwards. Reversed the wires and it worked. Total cost ~$20-30
Old 04-02-2016, 02:30 AM   #81
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the update and reminder of "the little things"
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:55 PM   #82

I found an article titled "How to Make a Ford Explorer 4x4 Dinghy Ready". If you google that title it will be the first thing to pop up. It appears the $250 kit is just a light, wire harness, stickers, and instructions. The author included most of the necessary information about flashing the computer and putting the Explorer into tow neutral. He did not include information about how to take it out of tow neutral in order to drive it again. Can anyone help with this?
Old 05-02-2016, 08:59 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Coach View Post
I found an article titled "How to Make a Ford Explorer 4x4 Dinghy Ready". If you google that title it will be the first thing to pop up. It appears the $250 kit is just a light, wire harness, stickers, and instructions. The author included most of the necessary information about flashing the computer and putting the Explorer into tow neutral. He did not include information about how to take it out of tow neutral in order to drive it again. Can anyone help with this?
Nevermind. I found the answer to my own question.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:26 PM   #84
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
This is a great thread. I have spent hours on the Ford Explorer forum and this forum seems to have the answer I need. I should have searched this one first I guess.

I bought a nice 2003 Sport Trac. It has a rotary switch on the dash and not a push button. This tread seems to have the answer to that.

I am a bit unclear and will read the instructions again. The diode is easy for me to understand because I'm an ET. But to be clear there are no other wires or switches needed? Just put the round switch into 4wd, shift lever into neutral etc. Push brake.

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford