Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Got a Ready Brute Elite on the way ...

$816 plus $22 shipping at Adventure RV. So, we have what appears to be a top of the line, highest weight rating for an aluminum tow arm, AND a braking system, all for less than the price of most braking systems or tow arm alone! Why would anyone consider anything else?

I have read a lot of posts on a lot of forums, and I have yet to hear anyone who actually uses this setup to have anything other than postive comments about it.

At this price, I also sprung for the breakaway kit and the tail light wiring kit. Will be using a Blue Ox baseplate on a 2010 Honda Fit. Everything is scheduled for delivery by Friday, so my weekend is cut out for me.

I will be installing everything myself, so of course I will be reporting back on the installation. I'm the guy who posted a blog on installing hydraulic jacks on my Class C, so I'm thinking this will be a walk in the park compared to that job.

Looking forward to it!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2013, 01:47 AM   #2

I would also like to use the Ready Brake system but I would like to know someone who has installed it on a 2002-2006 CRV.

The problem I see is where to drill though the firewall for the cable. It is really crowded in that area with the steering column and the steering rack right where the cable would go.

It would be fantastic if someone could post a photo?
Thanks, Iver.

Topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:03 AM   #3

I got the RBE and love it. I had to adjust the cable a couple of times to get it to apply the brakes at the right time.

After making the needed adjustments I drove the towed to the store and noticed the brakes hanging. I was able to raise the pedal with my foot and no more drag. My mind was swirling with the major overhaul I would have to do because I had crimped something or put the cable in a bind somehow. DW asked if the floor mat was holding the cable. After she got a deer in the headlights look I checked and the floor mat had slid forward and was holding the cable. I moved it back, took a test drive and no more sticking. The moral of that story was never tell you DW of an issue unless you want the easy fix.

Installing the base plate wasn't bad at all. I was shocked at what little held the front bumper look pretty parts onto a vehicle. I had to do some drilling and minor trim work on the grill but the instructions were very clear. The floor area for the brake cable was very tight as far as other stuff but I was able to find landmarks to find a safe drilling point under the brake pedal. I had the base plate on and the cable in place in under two hours. Then another 30 minutes to remove part of the look pretty parts on the bumper to put in a part DW saw laying on the floor that I had forgotten. Moral of that story is hide the extra parts from DW.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:47 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I love this system for its simpliciyty and ease of operation. I have it installed on a Jeep Wrangler and GMC Sierra 1/2 ton. I did both myself. Had a couple of questions, called tech. They were very helpful! I also devised an LED switch that attached directly to the brake pedal, viewed in the rear camera showed when pedal was applied and released. I will try and post picture.
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:03 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I also have used the system for over 2 years without a problem. On the advice of another member I had a second dash light installed that was operated by the car foot brake. So, I have 2 lights, 1 goes on when the ReadyBrute is actived and the other goes on when the car brake is activated. Very helpful for adjusting the cable and knowing everything is working.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:59 AM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the replies, and the tip about the second LED, makes sense. Again, every response of actual users is extremely positive. At this price point it looks like the no brainer of all no brainers.

Tow bar came yesterday. Looks extemely well made.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:24 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I picked a old trailer light out of the shop, wired it so I could plug it into the trailer plug on the back of the toad, ran the wire through the window and laid the light on the toad dash. I could see it in the rear view camera and used that to adjust the cable for brake activate point.

Worked good for me. Still thinking about another indicator light that would be tied to the brake light switch in the toad.

Jerry
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
This is the same setup I was wanting for my Equinox. But I looked and could not find a spot to drill the hole in the firewall for the cable.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #9

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2travel View Post
Moral of that story is hide the extra parts from DW.
Always easier to stuff the parts in my pocket than try to explain why there are always parts left over.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:27 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
This is the same setup I was wanting for my Equinox. But I looked and could not find a spot to drill the hole in the firewall for the cable.
I am towing a 2011 Equinox, so should be doable. I had mine installed at a hitch shop, so don't know how they actually picked the location.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:52 AM   #11

Here's a picture of the cable going through my 2011 CRV firewall just behind the brake pedal. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	firewall.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	350.2 KB
ID:	34224  
Old 03-03-2013, 09:19 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by davismills View Post
Here's a picture of the cable going through my 2011 CRV firewall just behind the brake pedal. Hope this helps.
Are you sure you've got the cable set up correctly? The cable should go through those two holes on the bracket.
That's the way my instructions stated to do it.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #13

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topman View Post
I would also like to use the Ready Brake system but I would like to know someone who has installed it on a 2002-2006 CRV.

The problem I see is where to drill though the firewall for the cable. It is really crowded in that area with the steering column and the steering rack right where the cable would go.

It would be fantastic if someone could post a photo?
Thanks, Iver.
I don't know about a CRV, but I got the installation done on a Honda Fit this weekend, and there was plenty of room. On the Fit, the steering column is offset to the right. So the perfect spot is to the left and just below the steering column. I can post pictures, but I doubt it would help you much.

They do allow for the pssibility that you may need to move the location on the firewall to one side or the other. You then take the rubber piece off the brake pedal, and attach the cable to the pedal itself. They include the hardware to do that. I've got to believe that it has been done on many a CRV.

Give them a call. I've already called them once, and the guy I spoke to was very friendly and helpful. Just Google Ready Brake or Ready Brute and get the number off their website.

The installation is all done, except for the adjustment. Just hope it goes as well for me as it has for everyone else.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:05 PM   #14

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by davismills View Post
Do you have the ready stop breakaway on there as well as the ready brake?