Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:53 AM   #127

Contact your DMV and tell them it won't fit on a tow dolly and request a motorcycle size license plate. Actually if you are a AAA member see if they act as a DMV agent in your state like they do in CA. Much quicker that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougsee3 View Post
I could not find a decent place to mount my plate without it getting damaged. It would be nice if the plate was not regular sized. I would be open to some ideas that I am not maybe seeing. My mounting place did not work out and I carry it in a bin and would wire it on for transport with out the car.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2015, 10:18 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
Contact your DMV and tell them it won't fit on a tow dolly and request a motorcycle size license plate. Actually if you are a AAA member see if they act as a DMV agent in your state like they do in CA. Much quicker that way.
They won't do that here the smaller plate are motorcycle and ATV only, trailer plates are special numbered and normal sized, BC has the smaller plates for their trailers. It's a pain for sure!!

It is a Hybrid ... it burns both gas AND money!!
ttarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:22 AM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougsee3 View Post
I could not find a decent place to mount my plate without it getting damaged. It would be nice if the plate was not regular sized. I would be open to some ideas that I am not maybe seeing. My mounting place did not work out and I carry it in a bin and would wire it on for transport with out the car.
Hey Dougsee3 I see your from Calgary too!! I bolted mine to the mainframe where there white decal is between the cars wheels facing rearward, not really visible when loaded, but very visible unloaded .... But it does hang low, so IF I stratal debris on the highway it will hit that plate .... Oh well!! I'll try to take a pic and post it for ya!!

Old 05-31-2015, 07:17 PM   #130

Here is that pic ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AFC34634-312E-4051-9A53-A3841A5EB663_zpspfrg3fa8.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	95815  

Old 05-31-2015, 07:22 PM   #131

So after playing with the dolly for a while .... we have an issue ... turns out the Fiat and the Vw Beetle are too low, they both hit the front where the winch bolts on to, so looks like I have to raise the tires oh about 2 inches, so looks like I will have to mount a couple 2x8 boards or something along that line to raise the cars up over the front, also had to put 2x4s down in front of the ramps so the front won't drag going up. The next concern id the cars hitting the front when the suspension compresses, at least I'm finding this out now, not the day before we leave!!! I still have 25 days!!

Old 06-01-2015, 06:09 AM   #132

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttarob View Post
So after playing with the dolly for a while .... we have an issue ... turns out the Fiat and the Vw Beetle are too low, they both hit the front where the winch bolts on to,................:
Just a thought, be sure your dolly sets level, if it is nose high it decreases the gap ahead of the wheels.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:36 AM   #133
Official iRV2 Sponsor

The Acme "EZE-TOW" Tow Dolly...

ttarob... Just lower the tongue height and you will pick up all the clearance you need. We have loaded both those cars at the factory and have not had an issue with clearance.

Richard Brown
Old 06-01-2015, 07:18 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
Just a thought, be sure your dolly sets level, if it is nose high it decreases the gap ahead of the wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZE Tow View Post
ttarob... Just lower the tongue height and you will pick up all the clearance you need. We have loaded both those cars at the factory and have not had an issue with clearance.

Richard Brown
I have the dolly hitch sitting at 12 inches and the cars still hit the front bar, the Fiat Abarth is worse than the Beetle, but if I put 1inch boards under the tires it's ok, the Beetle under suspension compression, hits the skid plate, the Abarth not so much.
When I put a level on the hitch it actually is low on the front .... I'll keep playing!!
Now the Fiat has low profile tires and wheels, so does the Beetle!!

Old 06-01-2015, 07:58 PM   #135
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttarob View Post
I have the dolly hitch sitting at 12 inches and the cars still hit the front bar, the Fiat Abarth is worse than the Beetle, but if I put 1inch boards under the tires it's ok, the Beetle under suspension compression, hits the skid plate, the Abarth not so much.
When I put a level on the hitch it actually is low on the front .... I'll keep playing!!
Now the Fiat has low profile tires and wheels, so does the Beetle!!
This (if I recall correctly) is not the first report of centerline interference between a dolly and the toad. Some new cars, on low profile tires can be VERY low near the driveline and in the area where the dolly front lip sits when towing.

I have looked and looked on iRV2, but cannot find the post(s). But, again if I recall correctly, Acme gave feedback to the owner who provided a drawing of the suggested modification. The idea was to relieve the front lip (cutting slightly) in the center to provide room at the impact point.

Using lumber to lift the car prevents the front lip from stopping the tire from forward movement...don't think that's a good thing

I would call and ask what Acme thinks.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:23 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
This (if I recall correctly) is not the first report of centerline interference between a dolly and the toad. Some new cars, on low profile tires can be VERY low near the driveline and in the area where the dolly front lip sits when towing.

I have looked and looked on iRV2, but cannot find the post(s). But, again if I recall correctly, Acme gave feedback to the owner who provided a drawing of the suggested modification. The idea was to relieve the front lip (cutting slightly) in the center to provide room at the impact point.

Using lumber to lift the car prevents the front lip from stopping the tire from forward movement...don't think that's a good thing

I would call and ask what Acme thinks.

Best luck
There is still lots of the steel at the front of the tire to hold it from going forward, any higher and it might be a problem, I seem to remember reading someplace on here about a car( Grand Am GT I think) and you are correct about the front being altered, we will be bringing the motorhome ... Home and playing some more, we've been using either the Grand Cherokee or the Sienna to get the ride hieght of the cars on the dolly.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:06 PM   #137

I was the one that did the surgery on my tow dolly to make room for the Grand Am. I will see if I can go d the thread and post it. To be sure I made the modifications with Richards input. Will probably be tomorrow before I post anything
Old 06-01-2015, 10:19 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
I was the one that did the surgery on my tow dolly to make room for the Grand Am. I will see if I can go d the thread and post it. To be sure I made the modifications with Richards input. Will probably be tomorrow before I post anything
Thanks Tim, I found your thread where you posted pics, did you alter the dolly or just keep it at the 11inch mark?

Old 06-01-2015, 11:33 PM   #139
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
Found it:
What Say Ye about tow dolly?

There's pictures there

Thanks Tim.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:52 AM   #140

here is what I have n the mods to the dolly

Picture #1

This was with the hitch at about 14" and the frame of the Grand Am hits the angle pretty firmly

Picture #2 & #3

I lowered the hitch height a lot and as you can see the frame clears but the hitch is really low. Too low! With the cantilever of the rear of a class C this would have dragged pretty bad anytime I went over any dip in the road.

Picture #4 & #5

I did some research about the widths of various cars and couldn't find any that would use the inward set of slots. A Smart Car and Fiat would use the middle set of slots so with Richards input I made the modifications in the picture. Took a couple hours with a side grinder and about three cutting wheels. When finished repainted the exposed steel for corrosion protection.

Picture #6

Now have great clearance and the hitch is back at about 14" height.

DW decided the Grand Am was too hard to get in and out of so we bought a Saturn Vue, 5 Speed FWD to pull. I haven't loaded it yet but it should have plenty of clearance.

As a side, Richard offered to make these modifications for me if I found myself his neighborhood and most of our communication was after 6PM. He never failed to respond to my questions.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0603.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	95995   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0605.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	259.6 KB
ID:	95996  

Name:	IMAG0610.jpg