Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:05 PM   #141

Thanks for those pics Tim!! Good job on the front of the dolly!! I might have to do that too!! Two hours huh??

It is a Hybrid ... it burns both gas AND money!!
ttarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2015, 08:07 PM   #142

Yep. Hard on the back thought and try to not get in a hurry. Patience is the key. I could have used a plasma cutter. Much faster but the cut would have been rougher

Old 06-05-2015, 11:00 PM   #143

Ok .... So loaded up the Fiat 500 Abarth today, just cruised around the neighborhood .... Ok so the issue is .... The tires on the dolly are scrubbing when turning fairly sharp, not sharp enough to come near the tow vehicle(jeep gc) so I thought perhaps the steering locked, so I tried all three key positions ... No difference, so went around the block with wifey in the car, she reports the wheels turns with the turns the jeep is making, but sharp turns still scrubs the dolly tires, so I'm thinking the Fiats wheelbase is so short it can't turn properly, thought I would post and see if anyone else has this problem with a short wheelbased vehicle, now towing the Toyota sienna ..... No issues, I'm going to try the beetle next as it is a little longer and heavier.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:03 AM   #144

Richard will be along but this is pretty common with the forces on the dolly. The tires on the dolly scrub a little like truck tires on a semi. Don't think it is anything to worry about.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:50 AM   #145

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttarob View Post
Ok .... So loaded up the Fiat 500 Abarth today, just cruised around the neighborhood .... Ok so the issue is .... The tires on the dolly are scrubbing when turning fairly sharp, not sharp enough to come near the tow vehicle(jeep gc) so I thought perhaps the steering locked, so I tried all three key positions ... No difference, so went around the block with wifey in the car, she reports the wheels turns with the turns the jeep is making, but sharp turns still scrubs the dolly tires, so I'm thinking the Fiats wheelbase is so short it can't turn properly, thought I would post and see if anyone else has this problem with a short wheelbased vehicle, now towing the Toyota sienna ..... No issues, I'm going to try the beetle next as it is a little longer and heavier.
Towing behind the Jeep and towing behind the MH are two completely different situations. The "tail-swing" of the motorhome will give you a greater arc, the Jeep is giving you the worst possible situation, plus the short turns in a neighbor hood. The short WB of the Fiat is not helping matters but your in a normal situation so far as the ACME, IMHO.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:39 AM   #146
Official iRV2 Sponsor

The Acme "EZE-TOW" Tow Dolly

Here is what is happening. Tow dollies do not have suspensions. The tire and wheel are the only suspension components on a dolly. In a turn there is a lot of resistance between the ground and the dolly tire. Depending on the surface and angle of turn this can result in a tire mark being left on the ground.

It is not anything to be concerned about. 90% of the life of a dolly is spent going relatively straight down a highway. Not in circles in a parking lot.

Our dolly tires are very high quality tires with a higher then normal rubber content. This makes them stronger and more reliable. However, high rubber content tires do not typically last as long as synthetic tire compounds as commonly used on passenger cars.

We have customers that average anywhere from 5,000 to 20,000 miles on a set of tires. There are many variables, braking, tight turns, harsh roads, road hazards and temperature extremes. There is no way to know what your experience may be.

Keep a close eye on your tires and brake pads. Do not let them become critical. Wore out brake pads will result in a significant repair that is not covered under warranty. Damaged or aged out tires could result in a blow out or delays in your travel plans.

We recommend 75 PSI in your dolly tires.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:58 AM   #147

I would be interested in hearing about the Beetle on the dolly. My wife has her eye on a convertible and it should be lighter than the Malibu I now tow.

Oh, and don't do what I did the other day. Not sure what I was thinking but I backed the Malibu off the dolly with one ramp still in the trunk. Put a dent and scratches on the underside of the bumper cover.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:57 AM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
Towing behind the Jeep and towing behind the MH are two completely different situations. The "tail-swing" of the motorhome will give you a greater arc, the Jeep is giving you the worst possible situation, plus the short turns in a neighbor hood. The short WB of the Fiat is not helping matters but your in a normal situation so far as the ACME, IMHO.
I know that the Jeep is nothing like the MH,but I wanted to stretch the straps before heading out on the freeways, but I do have to get the MH here to house tho!!
Thanksnfornthe feedback tho ... The last dolly I used was a Kar Kaddy ... In 1990
I figured that the wheelbase was the issue as the minivan worked flawless!!

Old 06-06-2015, 10:00 AM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZE Tow View Post
Here is what is happening. Tow dollies do not have suspensions. The tire and wheel are the only suspension components on a dolly. In a turn there is a lot of resistance between the ground and the dolly tire. Depending on the surface and angle of turn this can result in a tire mark being left on the ground.

It is not anything to be concerned about. 90% of the life of a dolly is spent going relatively straight down a highway. Not in circles in a parking lot.

Our dolly tires are very high quality tires with a higher then normal rubber content. This makes them stronger and more reliable. However, high rubber content tires do not typically last as long as synthetic tire compounds as commonly used on passenger cars.

We have customers that average anywhere from 5,000 to 20,000 miles on a set of tires. There are many variables, braking, tight turns, harsh roads, road hazards and temperature extremes. There is no way to know what your experience may be.

Keep a close eye on your tires and brake pads. Do not let them become critical. Wore out brake pads will result in a significant repair that is not covered under warranty. Damaged or aged out tires could result in a blow out or delays in your travel plans.

Thanks for the reply .... I figured it was the car, I wasn't really too worried, but since this is a great place for info and REAL world experiences, I would post what was goin on!!

Old 06-06-2015, 10:01 AM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
I would be interested in hearing about the Beetle on the dolly. My wife has her eye on a convertible and it should be lighter than the Malibu I now tow.

Oh, and don't do what I did the other day. Not sure what I was thinking but I backed the Malibu off the dolly with one ramp still in the trunk. Put a dent and scratches on the underside of the bumper cover.
OUCH !!!!
I will be giving the bug a go today .... I'll keep ya posted!!

Old 06-06-2015, 10:29 AM   #151

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Not sure what I was thinking but I backed the Malibu off the dolly with one ramp still in the trunk.
Hmmm.... I don't know as I would have owned up on that.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:35 AM   #152

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZE Tow View Post

I always felt 90# was too high for my 2700# KIA so I dropped it to 80#. When I bought my 2012 you were recommending 90#. I have looked a couple times for a load / air pressure chart, does one exist? I figure 2000# tops car and dolly. After 5000 miles wear looks even, maybe 1/3 tread height gone.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:07 AM   #153

Hmmmm .... 75 ... 80psi .... Perhaps I'll split the different ... 77.5 I did notice that the 90 sure makes the cracks and manhole covers very rough!!

Old 06-06-2015, 10:13 PM   #154

Quote:

Ok .... Yanked the Beetle around for about 20 minutes today, pulled great, just a little better than the Fiat as it is a little longer .... But beware that the plastic skid plate is very close to the front of the dolly, also you HAVE to leave the Key in the ignition, not all the way on ... But you have to turn it fully on, then off, but not remove the key, so that means you will have a battery drain ... So either you will need a hot wire to the Beetle, or a battery isolator or pull a fuse. The one thing I did notice on our Beetle today, the straps JUST slide by the front struts, but I do have aftermarket wheels on the Beetle ... Perhaps the OEMs would not give that issue!!

Tags
tow