Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-07-2015, 05:46 AM   #155

I had issues with the straps on the Malibu as the struts are perfectly placed for interference. I tried to move them along the wheel and between the wheel and the strut but the strap always ends up riding on top of the strut. I modified the straps with some Cordura and spent the winter sewing the pieces in place with waterproof nylon heavy duty thread (see photo below). No wear on the strap at all now.

Yesterday I removed the original valve stems and installed some metal valve stems from Blackjack (VS-416A-1) so I can install my TPMS sensors on the dolly. If you do this, you have to move the valve core from the original stem to the metal stem because the original had a filtered stem for the dynabeads that are used for balancing.

vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2015, 12:59 PM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
I had issues with the straps on the Malibu as the struts are perfectly placed for interference. I tried to move them along the wheel and between the wheel and the strut but the strap always ends up riding on top of the strut. I modified the straps with some Cordura and spent the winter sewing the pieces in place with waterproof nylon heavy duty thread (see photo below). No wear on the strap at all now.

Yesterday I removed the original valve stems and installed some metal valve stems from Blackjack (VS-416A-1) so I can install my TPMS sensors on the dolly. If you do this, you have to move the valve core from the original stem to the metal stem because the original had a filtered stem for the dynabeads that are used for balancing.
Maybe EzTow would consider using metal valve stems, either standard or optional, so they would better work with TPMS sensors. That would save dismounting and mounting the tires once you get it.

On the wheel baskets, not that there is anything wrong with the ones that EzTow supply, I think I'd rather order custom baskets for our vehicle rather than using a generic set. Don't know if you could have EzTow leave out the baskets on a new order, and hopefully drop the price, if not I guess it doesn't hurt to have an extra set laying around.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:00 PM   #157

I actually didn't have to dismount the tires, I simply deflated and then stepping on the tire broke it free from the rim. Once it is free, you can squeeze it enough to change the valve stem. As for the straps, this was an issue specific to my car. I have tried other straps but the fitment isn't as good as the ones that came with the dolly.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:51 AM   #158

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I feel the cross straps are too long. They need to be made that way to cover the wider tires. Having said that; I have considered going to a canvas shop to shorten the cross straps so they don't fall below the tire sidewall.

I need to reach over the tire and tuck it past the strut, and I also don't like the straps touching my custom wheels on the outside.

good idea........bad idea ???
Old 06-08-2015, 05:35 PM   #159

I bought a set from Cargo Control and felt they were not long enough to for my wheels. Mine are 18" low profile tires.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:21 PM   #160

Anyone have a trailer jack with swivel wheel mounted to the EZE dolly for easy moving around while unhooked. Even tried a swivel caster wheel but hangs down to close to road. Also the tongue is to close to ground when trying to deploy it. Ideas? May just have to lift and move manually.
Thanks,
Rex
Ultrarex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:01 PM   #161

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarex09 View Post
Anyone have a trailer jack with swivel wheel mounted to the EZE dolly for easy moving around while unhooked. Even tried a swivel caster wheel but hangs down to close to road. Also the tongue is to close to ground when trying to deploy it. Ideas? May just have to lift and move manually.
Thanks,
Rex
Should not be a problem have thoought about doing it. On mine the hydraulic brake line runs on the bottom of the tongue, so be sure to space the underside bolt so you don't squash it.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:38 PM   #162

Made a two wheel dolly with ball can pull it or push it, handle pops off for storage in bin.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 03:09 PM   #163

Got my EZE Tow today

How about a dolly with two wheels and a ball. They use them for moving boat trailers. See this link for an example: http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Access...w/MT70225.html
Old 06-10-2015, 03:41 PM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
How about a dolly with two wheels and a ball. They use them for moving boat trailers. See this link for an example: MaxxTow Trailer Dolly with 1-7/8" Hitch Ball - Black Powder Coated Steel - 600 lbs MaxxTow Hitch Accessories MT70225
In has a small ball but that can be changed. Not sure how easy the handle comes off.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:54 PM   #165

Damon Owners Club
I take a trailer dolly with us in the back of the mini cooper toad and store it under the motorhome when we're parked. The handle does not come off but I'm working on that. It has a 1 7/8" ball but it is never came loose just moving the tow dolly around and I have no plans to change it to a 2" ball.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:47 PM   #166

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The ball is easy to change, but not really necessary as said above. I had one of those for years, it's going to be kind of a pain for no more than what you need it for. Harbor freight sells them also. Changing the wheels to a much smaller diameter would be a good idea, I'm sure Harbor freight would have something with that axle diameter. I put a hitch on my Toad and use that if I need to move it a distance.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:40 PM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZE Tow View Post
ttarob... Just lower the tongue height and you will pick up all the clearance you need. We have loaded both those cars at the factory and have not had an issue with clearance.

Richard Brown
In another post, Mr. Brown stated that lowering the hitch ball by 1" would lower the dolly's lip 1.5". That seemed impossible to me, so I did the math and then confirmed by actually measuring it. Lowering the hitch by 1" lowers the dolly's lip less than 1/4". Maybe he meant to say .15" instead of 1.5".

I had to put pieces of 2/10 under the tires for my 2015 Hyundai Accent Sport to clear the lip. The low clearance of this car may be due to its low profile tires. Watch carefully the first time you put your car on any dolly, and be sure there's enough clearance for the car to bounce on its suspension.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:30 AM   #168

Loose straps and why, a friend of mine has the eztow and couldn't figure out why the straps would loosen, figure it is due to all the potholes all over the north. The ratchets have no way to lock them except that little spring so we put on a positive lock took 5 minutes and $4.00. Haven't had a loose strap in 800 miles. Now more R&D done by the purchaser, next step for us will be to sell this thing and get a real dolly. Oh and another thing lights need to be held in with a tie strap are you kidding me!

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow