Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:26 PM   #169

I have had not issues with the strap coming loose on mine. When I leave the house, I travel up a winding road for 3/4 mile to hit a four lane road. Pull over and re-tighten. Then I travel about 20 miles and pull over again, check and re-tighten as necessary. Never really touch them again after that. New straps require a few more times to get the initial stretch on them, but generally they remain tight after a few checks and on my last trip after the first couple of check I never tightened them again for 1,200 miles and when I got home they were still tight.

Also, unless I am mistaken, you ratchets are on the wrong side of the dolly. The lock bar should be up. That may be why they are loosening.

vettenuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2015, 06:48 PM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Also, unless I am mistaken, you ratchets are on the wrong side of the dolly. The lock bar should be up. That may be why they are loosening.
I believe his lock bar is in the correct position. Ours is in the down position but I checked their website to be sure and Acme shows it in the down position. Not sure if it makes a difference???

Old 06-13-2015, 07:23 PM   #171

Mine only has a tightening nut on one side so the bar is up.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:56 PM   #172

I have towed my Kia, from Fl. to the Great Lakes and back twice.

I have a different dolly, but the same winches as in the pictures.

Like others, I tighten them, TIGHT, check them once or twice and go for days of travel, without them getting loose.

If they are getting loose, you may not have enough wraps, on the drum.

I put the strap in the slot, pull it snug and then pull it loose, a bit, while I turn the drum. Once the slots are covered with the straps, I wind it up at least another turn, before it tightens up.

Now, I take the 1 1/8" wrench, and pull "up" hard, until the tire is deflecting against the "stop plate".

Sometimes it takes another click or two, on the recheck, but with the strap pressure, against it, that ratchet bar is not going to release .

That ratchet mechanism, is the same style, truckers use to hold loads on, and they don't use any kind of safety pins. They just use a 4 ft bar to wind them up.

There are two ways, I could imagine needing the lock pin. One is if the winch is being tightened backwards.

The other is if the strap is pulling back, thru the slot AND the loose end is tied to the realise bar.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:52 AM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I have towed my Kia, from Fl. to the Great Lakes and back twice.

I have a different dolly, but the same winches as in the pictures.

Like others, I tighten them, TIGHT, check them once or twice and go for days of travel, without them getting loose.

If they are getting loose, you may not have enough wraps, on the drum.

I put the strap in the slot, pull it snug and then pull it loose, a bit, while I turn the drum. Once the slots are covered with the straps, I wind it up at least another turn, before it tightens up.

Now, I take the 1 1/8" wrench, and pull "up" hard, until the tire is deflecting against the "stop plate".

Sometimes it takes another click or two, on the recheck, but with the strap pressure, against it, that ratchet bar is not going to release .

That ratchet mechanism, is the same style, truckers use to hold loads on, and they don't use any kind of safety pins. They just use a 4 ft bar to wind them up.

There are two ways, I could imagine needing the lock pin. One is if the winch is being tightened backwards.

The other is if the strap is pulling back, thru the slot AND the loose end is tied to the realise bar.
I agree that something doesn't sound right here. When I get home from a trip the straps are still tight and it take a bit to release them. When you mentioned the ratchet being tightened backwards, that is where I was going with the bar being on the bottom.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:05 AM   #174
Official iRV2 Sponsor

The Acme "EZE-TOW"Tow Dolly

A few notes...
In Nov Dec 2013 we had a very small batch of winches that were not correctly manufactured. It looks like this is one of them. The locking teeth are asymmetrical. Allowing one side to bite well but the other to barely engage. If you contact the office we will send you a new set of non defective winches. Whether you keep the dolly or not the winches need to be changed. We have not had any release issues with the new manufacturer.
On our newest redesign the winches are mounted with the release bar in the downward position.

This incident with those defective winches led us to create a customer data base that allows us to instantly send all customers service bulletins or recall notices. There was no way for us to know who may have had defective winches and not. We reached out to everyone we could.

The black zip tie for the light is for insurance. A lot of our customers travel some very bad roads and dollies do not have suspensions. Tail lights are commonly damaged or lost on all dollies from all manufacturers. Our tires are now balanced with balancing beads and we have moved the light to inbound vertical position resulting in a lot less vibration and shock exposure. We felt like it was a good idea to include a small hole in the new fender to allow for a zip tie as an extra measure. It has been extremely effective. Good ideas do not have to be complex to be effective.
We could easily hard mount a similar light to the new fender, however without the benefit of the rubber gasket the light would soon be damaged internally from constant shock.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:26 AM   #175

Ok, learned something on the trip this past weekend. It is really important to have everything lined up in a straight line for loading and un-loading the toad. Arriving at Charles Town WV do do some genealogy mid afternoon last Thursday after dropping the DW off at the courthouse.

My camping spot at Harpers Ferry KOA was a very sharp turn to get to and when I had the motor home in position the dolly and car were not straight. Shouldn't be an issue I thought. Boy was I wrong. There was just enough tug on the car that the drivers side tire was back a couple inches and I couldn't get the ramps in the slots. Tried pulling the car up farther on the ramp but the right side tire was against the stop so no joy. I could get the ramp into one slot and decided the car doesn't weigh that much so I went for it and had no problems getting it off the dolly. Good thing the Acme is build heavy as the car came down the ramp with no issues. Hind sight reminded me that I could have used some of my leveling blocks to support the one side of the ramp.

When arriving back home yesterday the 10 hour drive was telling on me as I tried to back the Vue off of the Acme with the safety chains still attached. They did their job well.

Note here, I lost the safety chains out of the banjo slot three times so I ended up adding bungees to hold them in the correct position. I was also thinking a rubber cork sized to fit the round part of the banjo hole would be perfect to keep the chains in position.

For the record there is tons of room between the Acme EzTow and the Vue frame. Easy to load and pulls like a dream. I hit a couple holes that left me certain there was some damage at least to the tires and wheels but when I checked they were fine.

To tow the Vue I need to turn the key to the ACC position and remove one of the fuses. Has anyone had any success simply removing the locking pin from the lock so the steering wheel doesn't lock?

I did notice one thing that concerned me however. The EzTow unit is leaking brake fluid with in the vertical storage position. Most of the paint where the ramps store is gone from the brake fluid. Perhaps I have too much fluid in the reservoir. I am a little uncertain how much is supposed to be there.

Any guidance available?
Old 06-29-2015, 04:36 PM   #176

They show how to fill the brake fluid in the video on the ACME web site.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:30 PM   #177

I remember looking at that but couldn't tell where the full line actually was. I will watch it again.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:33 PM   #178

No clear indicztion how far to fill it. Richard will be along soon to educate me.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:09 PM   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
Ok, learned something on the trip this past weekend. It is really important to have everything lined up in a straight line for loading and un-loading the toad. Arriving at Charles Town WV do do some genealogy mid afternoon last Thursday after dropping the DW off at the courthouse.

My camping spot at Harpers Ferry KOA was a very sharp turn to get to and when I had the motor home in position the dolly and car were not straight. Shouldn't be an issue I thought. Boy was I wrong. There was just enough tug on the car that the drivers side tire was back a couple inches and I couldn't get the ramps in the slots. Tried pulling the car up farther on the ramp but the right side tire was against the stop so no joy. I could get the ramp into one slot and decided the car doesn't weigh that much so I went for it and had no problems getting it off the dolly. Good thing the Acme is build heavy as the car came down the ramp with no issues. Hind sight reminded me that I could have used some of my leveling blocks to support the one side of the ramp.

When arriving back home yesterday the 10 hour drive was telling on me as I tried to back the Vue off of the Acme with the safety chains still attached. They did their job well.

Note here, I lost the safety chains out of the banjo slot three times so I ended up adding bungees to hold them in the correct position. I was also thinking a rubber cork sized to fit the round part of the banjo hole would be perfect to keep the chains in position.

For the record there is tons of room between the Acme EzTow and the Vue frame. Easy to load and pulls like a dream. I hit a couple holes that left me certain there was some damage at least to the tires and wheels but when I checked they were fine.

To tow the Vue I need to turn the key to the ACC position and remove one of the fuses. Has anyone had any success simply removing the locking pin from the lock so the steering wheel doesn't lock?

I did notice one thing that concerned me however. The EzTow unit is leaking brake fluid with in the vertical storage position. Most of the paint where the ramps store is gone from the brake fluid. Perhaps I have too much fluid in the reservoir. I am a little uncertain how much is supposed to be there.

Any guidance available?
Hey Tim !! Sounds like you had a decent trip with your EZE tow!! I'm still in the middle of mine, sounds like we went about the same distance, I've had no issues with the dolly at all!! Like you said pulls like a dream!!! Had a bunch of road construction where they were repaving, so had us in the other side, I ended up with fresh tar on the outside edge of the right dolly tire ..... Nothing on the car!!! before I even left the driveway I found 2 small bungee cords and clipped them to the left over safety chain and go around the hitch frame .... No,issues, stayed right where I put them!!!
I did have to back up at one point, just went real slow ... Only had to back up 20 feet ... The other Motorhome we traveled with had a flat inner on the right rear, and we were in the way!!
Tomorrow we load up and head home!!!

It is a Hybrid ... it burns both gas AND money!!
ttarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:21 PM   #180

When loading the car on the dolly it is only necessary to line up the car with the dolly, but to unload it's easiest if the dolly and car are also lined up with the towing vehicle. This requires driving in a straight line for probably 100 feet or more, which is sometimes difficult to do. If the right tire is moved back from the front lip, you can't fix that by trying the drive the car forward. Instead you must swing the tongue of the dolly to the right. To do that, turn the wheels of the towing vehicle to the right, and back up a few inches. Reverse that for the left car tire.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:17 PM   #181

If I am in that situation again I will give it a try. Thanks for the tip
Old 07-02-2015, 08:40 PM   #182

Well we just returned from our trip!! Approx 700 miles and only one issue with the dolly .... We lost the little black cover for the brake cylinder! It performed perfectly, I got in the habit of checking the wheel straps at every stop, loaded and unloaded with no issues at all!!

It is a Hybrid ... it burns both gas AND money!!
ttarob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow