Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2015, 07:07 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZE Tow View Post
Thanks for the feedback. We made the extra large straps blue to simplify communications with customers. Also eliminates confusion in shipping. You are the first to receive those new straps, please send us a few pictures and let us know how your big trip goes. I tried them on my 20 inch tires on 2014 GMC Sierra Denali and they were plenty big.
The noise you heard should not be coming from the actuator. Normally it is very quite, no chucking, proportional and precise. Sometimes a hitch insert will rattle inside the hitch housing, if so they sell inserts to silence that. Happy and Safe Motoring....
Sure, I'll take some pictures this weekend. We'll be going on another practice run. The banging sound was pretty pronounced, like something heavy hitting the ground. But I didn't see anything when we got out to look. It only happened once, at low speed after we got off at an exit.

The straps look big enough. Nice color too.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2015, 02:54 AM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post

I plan to reload the car this spring once the dolly is out of my shed and cut the strap tail shorter once the car is loaded. I have previously tied them off but sometimes they still get loose and flail around in the wind. I also added some chafe guards this winter where I know my particular car rubs on the strapping.
Be sure to melt the cut ends with a propane lighter they will fray like crazy if not.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:34 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
Be sure to melt the cut ends with a propane lighter they will fray like crazy if not.
Yes, plan on doing that thanks.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 05:48 PM   #32

Took another test ride using the new Extra Large Straps today with my Excursion and Murano. Went about 50 miles with no incident. I also got another drop down hitch so I could lower the ball a couple of inches. The bottom of the coupler is now 14 inches high, which I'm told is the ideal ride height. The excursion pulls it fine. I think I notice a slight bit of porpoising, but nothing alarming. No bangs this time.

Its getting easier to load and unload it. Getting the safety chains on the frame is a bit of a chore. I'm not using anything to retain the chains in the banjos and they seem to stay in there fine.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:58 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Your hitch height looks perfect. Just curios, how many inches drop hitch did you purchase ?

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:13 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenNJ View Post
Your hitch height looks perfect. Just curios, how many inches drop hitch did you purchase ?

Its a Reese 3-1/4 drop. Not sure what the one was I had before, but this is about 2 inches lower than that one was.

Home Depot only had the 3-1/4 and 5-1/4 drop hitches. I had calculated I needed about a 4 inch drop. This one seems perfect.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:27 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for that info. Looks like I need about the same amount of drop. Also thanks for posting the pics and experience with your Murano. We currently lease the Altima and want to go back to Murano FWD only. We previously had a Murano and loved it.

Thanks again

KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:16 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I guess I was fortunate with my experience. I ordered my dolly last weekend after pestering Richard and his staff with several phone calls, they happily answered my questions and addressed my concerns. I received the bill of lading and received the call from the shipping company to arrange delivery and the dolly was dropped off Thursday afternoon.

The delivery driver knew what he was doing and once he had the truck backed up next to the house it took all of 5 minutes to get the dolly unloaded. He positioned the crated dolly lengthwise on the liftgate and used the liftgate to gently tip the crate onto the ground then the driver and my kid slid the crate the rest of the way of the lift.

Uncrating and assembling the dolly went exactly as the video on the website showed and was easily done by one person, unfortunately I'm still recovering from neck surgery so it was done by my 19 year old son.

It easily fit in my garage and I'm storing it standing upright between the garage door and one of our cars. When I need it I can back upto thegarage door,tip it onto it's wheels and lower it onto the hitch and drive away. So far it has exceeded expectations and I can't wait to actually use it.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:56 AM   #37

Thanks for the pictures. The cross over straps need to be directly in line with where they are sewed to the main strap. The way they are now the cross overs will slowly migrate forward and the straps will loosen up. Also the long strap going into the winch should be as vertical as possible. In this picture it is trailing of towards the side.
Thanks.
EZE Tow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:13 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZE Tow View Post
Thanks for the pictures. The cross over straps need to be directly in line with where they are sewed to the main strap. The way they are now the cross overs will slowly migrate forward and the straps will loosen up. Also the long strap going into the winch should be as vertical as possible. In this picture it is trailing of towards the side.
Thanks.
Got it. Thanks
Old 03-23-2015, 02:00 PM   #39

I was going to mention that as well but wasn't sure how to be describe it other than spokes on a wheel. I usually get my strap on and get the tail end in the ratchet and then skooch the straps into the position so they are on a straight radius from the wheel center (hope that makes sense), then start tightening.

Curious if the straps touch any of your front suspension components.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:03 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post

Curious if the straps touch any of your front suspension components.
Not as far as I can tell. I'll pay more attention when I run it again
Old 03-25-2015, 12:25 PM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had some free time today so I set my eztow up to fit my car and took a few laps around the parking lot. I was a little skeptical about using a non pivoting dolly but I can see why people love these things. It was easy to set up and follows my truck perfectly. I can't wait to pull it with the motor home
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1427306050721.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	89540  
Old 03-26-2015, 08:37 AM   #42

iRV2 No Limits Club
First Time post, reading the comments about troubles getting the dolly off freight truck has got me nervous. Let me explain, I am disabled and in a wheelchair. I drive a modified 2002 22k V10 Class A and use a 2011 Grand Caravan wheelchair modified van for toad. I would be no help lugging the dolly off truck. I am home most days and most available during delivery times. I can get help assembling once on ground. Looking at comments sounds like only a few had a drivers that knew what to do. Do you think help would be needed to get off truck? I would have ordered already, but this is weighing on me. Thanks for your thoughts...
quad80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow