Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2015, 10:00 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
to Quad80

Couldn't say what the delivery would be like as they all seem to be different.

FWIW, If a RV'r is totally wheelchair bound, that is one of only a few times where I would offer that flat towing might be a better alternative. The dolly straps and safety chains are somewhat under the toad and there are times when the dolly needs to be unhooked for maneuvering or campground parking. Just something to consider.

Best luck and safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2015, 12:48 PM   #44

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088;2481994

FWIW, If a RV'r is totally wheelchair bound, that is one of only a few times where I would offer that flat towing might be a [I
better[/I] alternative.
Thanks for the welcome. I tend to agree. My wife would be doing the straps and chain. Before we bought our MH she had to hitch/unhitch our Toyhauler TT, weight distribution,chains etc. I would need Tranny pump for Grand Caravan and given this vans are already expensive. I feel uneasy about failure of pump or further modify of van. Those fears were compounded when I called Spillars in Austin and they said wont install lube pumps anymore because of problems. This might not be best thread, but is it workable that wife could strap car down? I can help drive car on dolly.
quad80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:56 PM   #45

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by quad80 View Post
First Time post, reading the comments about troubles getting the dolly off freight truck has got me nervous. Let me explain, I am disabled and in a wheelchair. I drive a modified 2002 22k V10 Class A and use a 2011 Grand Caravan wheelchair modified van for toad. I would be no help lugging the dolly off truck. I am home most days and most available during delivery times. I can get help assembling once on ground. Looking at comments sounds like only a few had a drivers that knew what to do. Do you think help would be needed to get off truck? I would have ordered already, but this is weighing on me. Thanks for your thoughts...
I think it would be safe to assume you should get someone there. Maybe it comes in enough pieces that it can be unloaded by one person but will they put it where you need it? Save the grief and ask a friend or neighbor to assist you.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:50 PM   #46

Where are you located? If you want an Acme I would contact them and see if there something that can be done to help you. If you are near them, you could also pick it up directly from them. Other option would be ship to your RV dealer and have them unpack.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:58 PM   #47

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Where are you located? If you want an Acme I would contact them and see if there something that can be done to help you. If you are near them, you could also pick it up directly from them. Other option would be ship to your RV dealer and have them unpack.
I think he is in california
Old 03-26-2015, 05:35 PM   #48

iRV2 No Limits Club
I am located SW of Austin, TX. Key selling points for me on EZE Tow is my steering does not lock. Also, removable ramps keeps from knocking holes in ground effects from lowering the Dodge floor. I saw that on a youtube video with a sudden change in street elevation. Thanks for advise, I've come to value this forum for advise and help..
Old 03-26-2015, 05:35 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Thanks for the welcome. I tend to agree. My wife would be doing the straps and chain. Before we bought our MH she had to hitch/unhitch our Toyhauler TT, weight distribution,chains etc. I would need Tranny pump for Grand Caravan and given this vans are already expensive. I feel uneasy about failure of pump or further modify of van. Those fears were compounded when I called Spillars in Austin and they said wont install lube pumps anymore because of problems. This might not be best thread, but is it workable that wife could strap car down? I can help drive car on dolly.
Quad80 appears to be in TX...a bit of a drive to Acme in Kernersville. NC.

But after delivery, a woman might easily be able to do the strap down on an EZE-tow.

And, the tongue weight on the empty EZE-Tow dolly is only about 25lb, so it is VERY easy to lift off the hitch.

I suggest getting a lightweight hitch on your toad - making moving it very easy - if there is ever a need to move the dolly farther than the distance from the bumper of the RV to the bumper of the toad.

I have towed a Dodge Caravan on my EZE-Tow...it was very easy to load and the Caravan towed very well on the dolly

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 03-26-2015, 07:20 PM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
the wheel straps are very easy to use on the eztow so your wife shouldn't have a problem with strapping and chaining once the ratchets are set for the correct width.

When I ordered mine the shipping company called the day before delivery to arrange a time for drop off, I'm sure if you explained your situation maybe they can send an extra guy to help unload.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:04 AM   #51

We just pulled into Tennessee on our first long trip with the Eze Tow. My personal opinion is that depending on your degree of disability and your wife's ability to do the mechanical things any tow dolly might be a challenge for you. I would consider myself fairly fit and while I can muscle the dolly around I don't consider it easy. When we pulled in to the campground it was raining and 38 degrees. Let's just say I was a bit grumpy and ready for a hot shower and a drink by the time we got the camper squared away.

I'm not saying thee Eze Tow isn't what I expected, just that you need to realize what your dealing with. From what I've read Eze Tow was about half the set up cost of 4 down assuming your car can be towed 4 down.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:47 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
Let's just say I was a bit grumpy and ready for a hot shower and a drink by the time we got the camper squared away.
Yep, those are the times I look more highly upon four down
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:06 PM   #53

I forgot to mention, one of the safety chains holding the frame of the car to the trailer popped out of the banjo at some point. Will definitely secure them on the way home.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:31 PM   #54

iRV2 No Limits Club
I want to thank everyone for advise. I cant say I am any closer to pulling the trigger on the tow dolly yet. Much to consider and my over think personality is in overdrive.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:33 PM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
I haven't put a scale on the tongue of my EzTow, but it certainly feels more like 50# or 60# and much more than 25#. Maybe it is me!!!!!!
tim myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:09 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We don't leave the ramps on the dolly tongue (the older poly ramps) so that makes it lighter...the new steel ramps will be even more. That could easily make the tongue heavier.

The ramps go into a bin to keep them safe and clean...just keeping honest people, honest

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV

Tags
tow