Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-07-2015, 09:57 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Grand Cherokee listed as least reliable!

I saw on the news this morning where Consumer Reports listed the Jeep Grand Cherokee as one of the three least reliable vehicles!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2015, 11:25 AM   #2

I saw that also we have a 2011 Grand Cherokee and just love it,my brother has a 2014 and feels the same with his,i dont know anyone that dosent love them,The sales are great for Chryslers.I just dont know if i trust consumer reports anymore

Old 11-07-2015, 11:32 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I've got a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee that went through the transfer case neutral recall back in 2013 and have nothing but problems with it since having the recall done. Chrysler did ZERO regarding customer assistance. I reported this to the local shop, sent an email to Chrysler, reported to the NHTSA and called Chrysler Customer assistance. They were oblivious to a problem even though I sent an email with numerous links of forums where people reported the problem. After ~1 year trouble after the first recall they did a 2nd recall to fix the first one. I now can reliably shift the Jeep into Neutral but am having trouble with all the dash lights, AC, radio going out. The Jeep will continue to run but it scares the bejesus out of you when your driving down the road and everything goes dead.

I have lost all confidence in the Jeep and Chrysler.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 11:34 AM   #4

There was a recent thread on irv2 by a 2015 Cherokee owner that was having a nightmare with his. Lots of electrical issues and some mechanical. I have never owned one but always thought they were a solid vehicle.
Old 11-07-2015, 11:41 AM   #5

The problem is, as I see it, the older ones, as in oh, around '13 or '14 or older, are more reliable and dependable. But, for some odd reason, the newer ones, as in the '15, has become so electrically problemed and, multiple consumer complaints about transmission issues, along with other issues, that they just have dropped in reliability.

Normally, the manufacturers are fairly good at testing any and all new ideas, plans, changes, alterations, concepts and all that, prior to putting all of that into new production vehicles. And, maybe testing was done, and to the satisfaction of the powers to be. But, apparently not enough testing was done and or, things just happen that were not foreseen and, therefore the consumer complaints start to arrive.

We've had two Grands in the past. An '04 Overland 4x4 with the High Output 4.7L and, an '07 Overland 2x4 with the 5.7L Hemi. Both were outstanding vehicles. Talk about FAST, both of them were outstandingly fast cars for their weight and design. The creature comforts were phenomenal. We really wish we'd have never sold our '04 4x4 unit 'cause we could have been towing it all along. That was dumb move on our part.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 11:42 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Cherokee

I have a 2015 Cherokee and so far haven't had any problems. My dealer has been very good about flashing any computer updates. I use it as my driver and toad.
rfsod48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 12:16 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I had a 2012 and then a 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland. Both have been great and I really like the 2014. No dependability issues with either.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 01:30 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought a used 2012 in 2013 and we love it. I did buy the MOPAR life-time warranty as I tend to drive vehicles well beyond 250k. We have used the warranty once for some electrical something or another that effected the fuel pump. $100.00 deductible and we were on our way.

We live in the mountains in Colorado and really do like the features, ride and 4x4 performance. It tows 4down behind our chevy class C with no problems.
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 01:42 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Nephew bought a new one last year. After it quit on his wife three times and had to be towed (supposedly three different problems) they got rid of it. He lost a few thousand trading it in so soon but it wasn't dependable.
Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 01:43 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Actually, according to Consumer Reports, it's the Jeep Cherokee, not the Jeep Grand Cherokee. The article I read stated "The fourth most unreliable car is the Jeep Cherokee, for transmission, electronics and drive system". The picture included with the article was definitely a Jeep Cherokee, not a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

We have a Grand Cherokee, and thankfully it has been trouble free

Brian
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee FMCA #420209
brianw8602 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 11:19 PM   #11

I wondered if there was some confusion between the Cherokee and the Grand Cherokee. I purchased the Grand because of many complaints concerning the Cherokee.

I now have 4000 miles on the Grand and 1000 miles towing. And 1 issue so far...

I have the limited with the off road package. I was driving along and hit a bump in the road and experienced a pretty significant Bang, Bang, Bang from underneath the car. Stopped and looked underneath and one of the skid plates had almost fallen off. 1 bolt was missing and the other was loose. This allow the plate to escape the grasp of the front mounts.

I removed the last bolt and the plate. Dealer inspected(as did I) the under carriage and reinstalled the plate. Other than that, my Grand Cherokee has been a pleasure to drive and to tow.
Old 11-07-2015, 11:31 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Plymouth View Post
I saw that also we have a 2011 Grand Cherokee and just love it,my brother has a 2014 and feels the same with his,i dont know anyone that dosent love them,The sales are great for Chryslers.I just dont know if i trust consumer reports anymore
Consumer Reports collects data from it's subscribers to set the matrix. The same info is weighted the same for all vehicles and they accept no advertising so they aren't paid off by anybody. I think I'd trust them.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 05:48 AM   #13

All I can say is Grand Cherokee Cherokee nuff said!
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:28 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw8602 View Post
Actually, according to Consumer Reports, it's the Jeep Cherokee, not the Jeep Grand Cherokee. The article I read stated "The fourth most unreliable car is the Jeep Cherokee, for transmission, electronics and drive system". The picture included with the article was definitely a Jeep Cherokee, not a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

We have a Grand Cherokee, and thankfully it has been trouble free

Brian

Thanks for clarifying that Brian!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote