Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2014, 05:21 PM   #15

I have a BMW X5 diesel and a 4 door Rubicon.... I prefer the Jeep every time. A great tow vehicle as well.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2014, 06:19 PM   #16

just curious. What set up do you use for towing the new Cherokee? I heard of an issue with the adaptive cruise control and mounting plates.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:29 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
GMC/Chevy Equinox/Terrain is 4X4 and towable four down.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:19 PM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
Beware about the recent recall on the GC transfer case (the dreaded N23 recall - you can google it...).

After the recall, the transfer case won't go into neutral (or 4 LO) but it starts a few weeks after you've been to the dealer. Chrysler is not admitting there is a problem because so few GC owners ever us neutral or 4 LO.

I had to correct mine by finding an old xfer case brain off a junked vehicle.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:46 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deasnealy View Post
just curious. What set up do you use for towing the new Cherokee? I heard of an issue with the adaptive cruise control and mounting plates.
I have used the RoadMaster base plate on my 2012 and 2014 GC. Both had the adaptive cruse control. There have been no issues with the setup. I can see a potential problem if the cross bar is on and low enough to be in the view of the adaptive cruse control sensor and you are driving and trying to use the system. In that case just remove the cross bar when driving.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:45 PM   #20

We use a Roadmaster Sterling All-Terrain baseplate and tow bar system for towing our current 2010 Jeep Wrangler and have ordered a new Roadmaster baseplate for the Trailhawk when it gets delivered.
Summerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #21

We used the Roadmaster Sterling All-Terrain with our 2010 Jeep Wrangler and will use it with the new Trailhawk when it arrives. We expect delivery of the Trailhawk around Feb. 18th. We will wait another week to order the new Roadmaster base plates and then have them installed right after we pick up the new Trailhawk from the dealer.
Summerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:58 PM   #22

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1122498926.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	476.1 KB
ID:	55245

There is a lot that can be said about going where there is scenery and wildlife that most folks can not dream about.

The off-road experience is dang nice too!

Nuff said?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:38 PM   #23

I too, have a 2011, GC Limited. The gas mileage here in Mesa, is quite disappointing, 12-13 mpg's. When I get it back to MI. where there aren't stop-lights on every corner, it will do 18-20. I've only had it on one long trip, and the mileage came up to 23-24 mpg. Like has been mentioned, hooking and towing is a complete breeze, towing is easy, wouldn't know it was back there, until you pull out to pass another vehicle, or turning on corners, in the mountains. The GC, weighs 5300 lbs. and you will know it's there when you move out from straight line driving, it moves the rear-end sideways, before the wheels on the GC catch up. I thought probably my Freightliner, was in need of a track bar, but was pleasantly surprised to find it has one on each end, so, I guess it is what it is. I will say, I was apprehensive about the GC, I traded a Cadillac for it, I know, I know, but I must say, I really like my Jeep! It's a very comfortable, and I enjoy driving it. If I am ever in the market again, it will be another GC.
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:38 PM   #24

We have both, 2012 Rubicon Unlimited and a 2014 Grand HEMI. Those with either of these that say they get anyting north of 20 are driving with a tailwind, downhill at 35 mph. The ease of towing 4 down is great. Both do it very well. Rubicon is a beast off-road. We have ours lifted with 35s, so it goes everywhere. For comfort, mileage, and decent off-roading, I would get a Grand Cherokee Trail Rated Limited with leather and the 8.4 nav. Get the 18 in rims with the off-road tires. Get the V-6 in a late 13 or 14 with the 8 speed tranny. Great combo. Hemi is a slightly better performer, but the 3.6 is pretty darn good. Just my opinion, but should be a pretty good one since I drive both every day. For reference, we have a GC Overland, which probably will never see off-road.

Bill
dubdub07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:55 AM   #25

We just order a 2014 Jeep GC Overland and made sure that it could be set up to be towed with our MH. The main reason we ordered it was that most of the vehicles that we looked at here in Alaska, were ordered with ALL of the 'bells/whistles on them. Most of these we do not need or want. We did goes with the V6 and 18" tire/wheels. The bummer is waiting 120 days for it to arrive. Oh well!
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:43 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubdub07 View Post
We have both, 2012 Rubicon Unlimited and a 2014 Grand HEMI. Those with either of these that say they get anyting north of 20 are driving with a tailwind, downhill at 35 mph. The ease of towing 4 down is great. Both do it very well. Rubicon is a beast off-road. We have ours lifted with 35s, so it goes everywhere. For comfort, mileage, and decent off-roading, I would get a Grand Cherokee Trail Rated Limited with leather and the 8.4 nav. Get the 18 in rims with the off-road tires. Get the V-6 in a late 13 or 14 with the 8 speed tranny. Great combo. Hemi is a slightly better performer, but the 3.6 is pretty darn good. Just my opinion, but should be a pretty good one since I drive both every day. For reference, we have a GC Overland, which probably will never see off-road.

Bill
I have had both a 2012 and a 2014 Grand Overland with the Hemi. I have no problem getting over 20mpg on the highway at 65-70mph but I have to keep my foot out of it...
Old 02-13-2014, 08:14 PM   #27

We have a 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland with the diesel. Worst in town mileage has been 21.5, it goes up from there.

Fully adjustable suspension with auto lower when parking.

You really can't compare a Grand Cherokee with a Wrangler, one is a luxury suv the other is an off road machine.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:15 PM   #28

John. Tell us how you decided on diesel and your impressions so far. I test drove one but trying to run the numbers to see payback of up charge for diesel engine. $4,000 or more. Really liked it and the GC in general Thanks.
enjoyrv is offline   Reply With Quote