Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2014, 09:50 AM   #29

We test drove the diesel and the Hemi models, both Overland. We knew we'd put close to 200,000 miles on what we bought.

When we ran the numbers to see about pay back/break even, we figured a $1 a gallon difference between 89 octane (recommended for Hemi) and diesel. We figured we have to hit the 140,000 mile to break even.

The diesel option is more expensive in the Limited and cheapest added to the Summit. If I recall Limited it's a $5000 option, Overland $3500 and Summit $2500.

DEF tank is good for 10,000 miles and so is the oil change interval.

So far for the month that we've had it the weather has been cold. Single digit temps with lots of snow. We've put on 1500 miles, but only have to fill up even 450-550 miles. City or highway has a big difference, same with temps.

I just got back from a 600 mile trip, roads where snow, ice and slush. The temp over stayed between 3 and 7 degrees. Computer showed an over all of 23 mpg. On the way back I took a different route and it was warmer for a 30 mile stretch, 28 degrees. The mileage shot up over 25 mpg, fast. But it cooled right back to 0 by the time I was home, and showed an overall of 24.5. The worst we've seen in town is 21.5.

All figures are using the on board computer, because we just haven't put enough tanks in. It has been nice not running to the gas station every 5 trips into town.

Right now we are very happy with our purchase. We kept our 05 Grand Cherokee Limited with the Hemi. It has 164,000 on the odometer and has been flat towed over 50,000 miles on top of that.

We also have an 05 Wrangler Unlimited.

This one is hands down the nicest auto we've owned. We even got it in a color that goes with our coach.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2014, 08:40 PM   #30

Thanks John for reply on diesel GC. I bet your pay back will be faster than that compared to hemi. Window sticker that shows Mpg shows hemi will cost $5,000 more to feed over 5 yrs than the diesel. That is based on 15,000 miles per year. And that doesn't factor in that the hemi is a $2,500 option as well. When I was looking, I was comparing diesel to the V6 option and diesel will cost $1,750 less than the V6 over 5 years again going by window sticker. That would come out very close to your 140,000 mile figure. I really like the cashmere color with jeep brown interior as that would go well with our coach. Enjoy. You found a nice ride.
enjoyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:43 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Here is another vote for the new 2014 Jeep Cherokee. For a vehicle in this size it is truly the best of allows worlds. We picked ours up one week ago and could not be happier. One issue, if you think the CRV isn't too expensive the Cherokee will cost you more.

If you do consider the Cherokee maker sure it has the active drive 2 trany as this is needed to tow 4 down and will also give you the off road suspension.

Stuart
Old 02-20-2014, 07:09 PM   #32

Newer Jeep Wranglers (3.6) get great fuel economy for what they are vs older ones. The ride is surprisingly smooth too. My friend's 2013 Wrangler rides as nice as his 2004 Grand Cherokee, and he's getting high 20s highway. Wranglers are a bit less complex too, which is good. A 4dr Wrangler w/Hardtop is a very comfortable daily driver. And Wranglers keep their resale value like no other SUV on the market either. If it's in good condition, no matter if it's 2yrs old or 20yrs old, it has value.

I can't say much good about the Cherokee. That's not to say they're bad, they're quite nice, but they really don't do anything any better than anything else. They will have a customer base merely because of their size, but other than that, they're just another crossover. Short of the Trailhawk (the only Cherokee you can get muddy), a crossover is all they are...nothing new. And they're not cheap if you get any options on them. Get a loaded 4x4 V6 Cherokee, and you're nearing Grand Cherokee money. Heck, for the price of a 4x2 Sport Cherokee with a few options, you can get nice 4x4 Wrangler.

I'm no stranger to Jeeps, I've had many of them. The newer ones are nothing like the older ones, but I will say, the 06-prior Wranglers were bulletproof. 04-prior Gr. Cherokees almost as tough).

Regardless of what year Jeep you get, as long as it's 4x4 w/low range and skid plates, there's something so reassuring about knowing you have the ability to go almost anywhere...even if you never leave the pavement.

Leave the pavement if you get a chance though
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:47 PM   #33

We bought a '14 Cherokee Trail Hawk. Absolutely love it! New 9 speed tranny makes for outstanding mileage on the hwy. It is trail rated up there with the Rubicon, gets better fuel mileage and rides better on the highway. Ours is loaded up with everything and stickered less than the Rubicon. We have the V6 power plant and avg. better than 20 in town. They claim 29 hwy but we haven't seen that yet but we only have 4k miles so it isn't broke in yet. Would recommend a look to anyone before you consider anything else.
BAinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:18 AM   #34

Conclusions

Thanks to everyone for your input, it has been great.

I think the decision is now made! It's going to be a Wrangler. Probably an older good condition 6cyl with decent boots and a nice rag roof, auto or manual. Why?

- Don't want to spend too much as it will be in storage for at least 6 months of the year (I am from the UK)
- 6 cyl should give a bit more grunt
- Probably more simple to maintain (like my old Landrovers!) especially the electric stuff
- not fussed about the ride as I'm hoping to mainly use it on trails and for short journeys
- Based on the previous point, gas mileage, as long as it's double figures, shouldn't be an issue
- As has been said, it will be bulletproof and will hold its value

A nice bright red or white one should do nicely, together with a winch and a hi-lift jack! And of course all the TOAD stuff, but that's a whole other thread. Blue Ox and AF1 are the current favourites.

Thanks again and safe travels to all.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:35 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKGuy View Post
Thanks to everyone for your input, it has been great. I think the decision is now made! It's going to be a Wrangler. Probably an older good condition 6cyl with decent boots and a nice rag roof, auto or manual. Why? - Don't want to spend too much as it will be in storage for at least 6 months of the year (I am from the UK) - 6 cyl should give a bit more grunt - Probably more simple to maintain (like my old Landrovers!) especially the electric stuff - not fussed about the ride as I'm hoping to mainly use it on trails and for short journeys - Based on the previous point, gas mileage, as long as it's double figures, shouldn't be an issue - As has been said, it will be bulletproof and will hold its value A nice bright red or white one should do nicely, together with a winch and a hi-lift jack! And of course all the TOAD stuff, but that's a whole other thread. Blue Ox and AF1 are the current favourites. Thanks again and safe travels to all.
Good luck! Just bought a 2008 Wrangler Unlimited in Rescue Green myself. Was surprised at how much they go for new, even with high mileage. Must be a sign of longevity. I wish I had the new 3.6 engine, but I am averaging 17+ With the 3.8l. Not too bad for this snowy and cold winter in Northeast Ohio. Better than I expected.
_nelsonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:25 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKGuy View Post
. . . . Probably an older good condition 6cyl with decent boots and a nice rag roof, auto or manual. Why?
I don't know the Wrangler market across the pond, but here in California, if you are looking for a TJ, it's gonna be hard to get exactly what you want, so, certainly condition is most important. For me I only insisted on 4.0 engine, A/C and full steel doors. We ended up with a manual, which is fine, a hardtop, which now sits in the garage, probably till I sell it. So, pick a couple, three things you want, or not.
Another thing, and I don't know about over there, but here there are so many sources for parts and accessories you can practically build one from scratch.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:01 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileRick View Post
I don't know the Wrangler market across the pond, but here in California, if you are looking for a TJ, it's gonna be hard to get exactly what you want, so, certainly condition is most important. For me I only insisted on 4.0 engine, A/C and full steel doors. We ended up with a manual, which is fine, a hardtop, which now sits in the garage, probably till I sell it. So, pick a couple, three things you want, or not.
Another thing, and I don't know about over there, but here there are so many sources for parts and accessories you can practically build one from scratch.
Absolutely. Reminds me of when I was thumbing thru a US phone book a few years back. The two largest sections? Car accessories and Attorneys. Only in America!
Old 02-23-2014, 08:43 PM   #38

The beautiful thing about Jeeps is you can always add on what you don't have. Just pic your preferred engine/trans, and whether or not you want A/C. Wheels, tops, fender flares, fog lights etc etc can be added later. Lots of parts out there for them, as guys often sell their stock parts in favor for aftermarket ones.

I love TJs. They're legendary and bulletproof. With proper maintenance, they go forever (very few SUVs rival them for longevity). Mine rolled over 300k and still looked/worked as good as day 1.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:46 AM   #39

Location: Lake OZ,MO summer-RiverBend Motorcoach Resort,FL winter
I tow/have both a '12 Wrangler COD and '13 GC overland. Blue Ox baseplates. You couldn't go wrong with either. Wrangler for off roading and GC for comfort, which one depends on where we go.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:36 AM   #40

Jeep Wrangler all the way... it is more "analogue". The electronic transfer case can be very problematic on the GC.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:56 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
Jeep Wrangler all the way... it is more "analogue". The electronic transfer case can be very problematic on the GC.
Was thinking the same thing - less to go wrong on an older TJ.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:06 PM   #42

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
X2
Towing 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
corvettec3 is offline   Reply With Quote