Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:19 PM   #43

The TJ vs a newer Jeep is like a abacus vs a computer. Not much to go wrong with it, and it still does the job just fine. Classics in their own time.

Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2014, 09:38 AM   #44

I would have bought a TJ years ago, but with a family it didn't have enough room. Then the JK Unlimited came out, but they changed the engine to the 3.8L mini van engine. I wasn't a fan. Then in 2012, the JK came out with a 3.6L Pentastar and things are now where they should be. The CJs were awesome and dropping a small block V-8 in them was a lot of fun. The YJ, eh....the TJ was a nice Jeep and the 4.0L; nice engine. Not going to win a race, but nice. The Rubicon package was neat when it came out and now the JKUR. The new JKs are big, and a little heavy. But set up correctly are a BEAST off road and comfy on road. Heck, even a stock JKUR is a dang good off-roader. If you want to see just how big a JK is, I will take a pic of my new GC next to the JK. JK is bigger. TJs and CJs are small which makes them an awesome toad.

Not sure if abacus vs computer is totally accurate, but maybe a clamshell cellphone vs a smartphone.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:30 AM   #45

agreed, JKU are SUV status... its also very tall, def as big as my X5.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:45 AM   #46

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKGuy View Post
Was thinking the same thing - less to go wrong on an older TJ.
You just about Can't go wrong with a TJ

You won't be sorry going that route. Just to let you know the most basic Grand Cherokee that was quite reliable was the 99-04 (WJ). I had a 01 with the 4.0L six I miss sometimes. They were the last of the straight axle front as rear as well.

I have 2 jeeps a 99 TJ with 165K on the clock and My daily driver a 06 LJ(a longer TJ)
The TJ has a 4.0L six It still has its original Water pump,ALT, starter,All steering parts, ball joints,Drive shaft and U-joints and All Clutch parts. one of the most maintenance free vehicle I have ever owned. The only reason I got he LJ as a DD was that the TJ got modded enough that is was harder to get in and out of every day.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:46 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
agreed, JKU are SUV status... its also very tall, def as big as my X5.
Jeep invented the SUV. I would say bigger than your X5, but I would guess wouldn't make it 5 minutes following me off road.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:07 PM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
From what I have read and our 4 tires on the road is the Jeep Trail rated Liberty.
rivernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:13 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubdub07 View Post
I would have bought a TJ years ago, but with a family it didn't have enough room. Then the JK Unlimited came out, but they changed the engine to the 3.8L mini van engine. I wasn't a fan. Then in 2012, the JK came out with a 3.6L Pentastar and things are now where they should be. The CJs were awesome and dropping a small block V-8 in them was a lot of fun. The YJ, eh....the TJ was a nice Jeep and the 4.0L; nice engine. Not going to win a race, but nice. The Rubicon package was neat when it came out and now the JKUR. The new JKs are big, and a little heavy. But set up correctly are a BEAST off road and comfy on road. Heck, even a stock JKUR is a dang good off-roader. If you want to see just how big a JK is, I will take a pic of my new GC next to the JK. JK is bigger. TJs and CJs are small which makes them an awesome toad.

Not sure if abacus vs computer is totally accurate, but maybe a clamshell cellphone vs a smartphone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
You just about Can't go wrong with a TJ

You won't be sorry going that route. Just to let you know the most basic Grand Cherokee that was quite reliable was the 99-04 (WJ). I had a 01 with the 4.0L six I miss sometimes. They were the last of the straight axle front as rear as well.

I have 2 jeeps a 99 TJ with 165K on the clock and My daily driver a 06 LJ(a longer TJ)
The TJ has a 4.0L six It still has its original Water pump,ALT, starter,All steering parts, ball joints,Drive shaft and U-joints and All Clutch parts. one of the most maintenance free vehicle I have ever owned. The only reason I got he LJ as a DD was that the TJ got modded enough that is was harder to get in and out of every day.
Can't wait! MH first though. And, if TJ's are as good off-road as my Land Rovers were, I'll be really impressed. Stupid question time. Are they leaf or coil spring? (Say pre-2004) Had a quick look on the interweb but all I could find were images of list kits etc.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:02 PM   #50

Forest River Owners Club
Don't own either but have a friend that has a Cherokee and it's been a nightmare... Had to replace the drive axel - took 9 months to get parts.... Now having to replace transfer case - won't go into neutral - three months before it comes in... Wranglers have totally different transmission which eliminates these issues..
Old 03-01-2014, 02:21 PM   #51

UKGuy,

Lived in Suffolk for 5 years. If I were to have a Jeep in England, I would get a TJ. Size matters and the roads in the UK are narrow, to put it lightly...

All TJs and JKs are coils. Leafs went away with the death of the YJ.

CJs, YJs, and TJs all have had a long standing rivalry with Land Rover. I would think there is very little difference in the off roadability.

dub
Old 03-01-2014, 02:28 PM   #52

Quote:
UKGuy,

Lived in Suffolk for 5 years. If I were to have a Jeep in England, I would get a TJ. Size matters and the roads in the UK are narrow, to put it lightly...

CJs, YJs, and TJs all have had a long standing rivalry with Land Rover. I would think there is very little difference in the off roadability.

dub
Great to know, thanks.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:07 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKGuy View Post
Can't wait! MH first though. And, if TJ's are as good off-road as my Land Rovers were, I'll be really impressed. Stupid question time. Are they leaf or coil spring? (Say pre-2004) Had a quick look on the interweb but all I could find were images of list kits etc.
live axles with struts and springs front and rear...
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:50 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
live axles with struts and springs front and rear...
No struts. Coils and shocks.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:28 AM   #55

Quote:
No struts. Coils and shocks.
Radius arms and Panhard rods with those coils?
Old 03-02-2014, 09:24 AM   #56

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
UKGuy,

dub
TJ 1997-2006, LJs 2003-2006, JK/JKU 2007-2014 all coil sprung.

If you want a smoother ride while off roading and on trails. on a TJ or Jk get a set of quick disconnects for your front sway bar. It lets the front axle articulate easier. It might feel weird at first. It also lets you keep all 4 wheels on the ground For some extra traction.
Most Later Jeeps have a rear sway bar as well.
If you take it a step further and get some 2 inch lift springs you can articulate like mine did here on a test ramp. If you go this far your need longer brake lines on the front as well.

Yes it felt stable even at this angle. and yes if i kept going I could get in big trouble in a about 5 more feet.

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote