Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2014, 08:36 AM   #57

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKGuy View Post
Radius arms and Panhard rods with those coils?
Yes on panhard bars front and back. Both front and rear have 4 link arms.

The front suspension (Arms,Front axle, steering parts,Springs and shocks) on the TJ and LJ will directly interchange with the front suspension of the 1984-2001 XJ Jeep Cherokee.
And this design was soo good they built a larger version on the 1994 Dodge Ram
1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton 4X4 pickups up till 2005? I think.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2014, 09:19 AM   #58

Mekanic,

Nice flex on the TJ. I have (stock) sway bar disconnect and undo them as soon as I hit the trail. Now all is left for you is to tow that bad boy to Colorado and see how it does out here. I may need you to pull me out!

dub
Old 03-02-2014, 09:40 AM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Gee ... was thinking this was the year to sell my TJ and snag one of the new Grand Cherokees. I guess I need to think more about this! \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:54 AM   #60

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubdub07 View Post
Mekanic,
Nice flex on the TJ. I have (stock) sway bar disconnect and undo them as soon as I hit the trail. Now all is left for you is to tow that bad boy to Colorado and see how it does out here. I may need you to pull me out!
dub
Like this ?? this was taken in 2011
Been going to Ouray CO,NM, every year since 08, and Moab and AZ since 09.

Sept Snow on imogene pass road in 2008

I taken My LJ out there now for the last 2 years. The trails in my local area are more a of a challenge than most trails out west. But they far and away are more forgiving if your one of those that drive stupid/aggressively (I DON'T)
here if you roll you dent roof and/or hood, out there you roll you dent your head.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:03 AM   #61

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
Gee ... was thinking this was the year to sell my TJ and snag one of the new Grand Cherokees. I guess I need to think more about this! \ken
I wouldn't trade either my TJ or LJ for a JK or a new grand. SERIOUSLY.
Heck a JK is 7 inches wider than the TJ overall.
My local trails are narrow and it really makes a difference.
I had a 01 grand. What you might not believe is that a NEW JK 4door
is longer, and wider overall, and evern has a longer wheelbase that 01 WJ !
Old 03-02-2014, 10:39 AM   #62

Mekanic,

We go to Ouray every year because it is very, very beautiful and we like the KOA and the swimming pool. Poughkeepsie Gulch is pretty sweet, and so is Engineers and Black Bear. Can't imagine anything like that east of here. There are several gulches around my area and Devil's Punchbowl is very hard. You are not going to the right places if you think Ohio is more challenging. There are places here that will down right scare the heck out of you...

I wouldn't discriminate over a TJ or a JK. I would buy which ever one I liked the most.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:39 PM   #63

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubdub07 View Post
Mekanic,

We go to Ouray every year because it is very, very beautiful and we like the KOA and the swimming pool. Poughkeepsie Gulch is pretty sweet, and so is Engineers and Black Bear. Can't imagine anything like that east of here. There are several gulches around my area and Devil's Punchbowl is very hard. You are not going to the right places if you think Ohio is more challenging. There are places here that will down right scare the heck out of you...

I wouldn't discriminate over a TJ or a JK. I would buy which ever one I liked the most.
I agree with you that nothing around here has the views of Ouray,Moab and the Grand Canyon/Sedona AZ. however 95% of the "trails" and off roading out west I can carefully drive in a completely Stock TJ/JK without any noticeable damage other than a occasional scratch on the skid.
Try that around here and you better have a Very good winch with twin batteries and sometimes another winch equipped Jeep .
Every now and then my friends will plan a ride out on some hardcore trails and I just tell them I have nothing that will take me up those trails.
I live in Southern Ohio and vacation in CO.
My mother has a cousin who lives in CO (Boulder) and vacation in Alaska.
When I see all the lower 48 I want to see Alaska. (Iv'e seen 45)
Every time I'm out west I have my eyes wide open for year round work.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:35 AM   #64

Unless you plan on keeping the GC forever, I would take a good look at the resale value of a GC compared to a Wrangler. 10 years from now you will be lucky if you can give the GC away , but the wrangler will still fetch you at least half if not more of what you paid for it. My 93 wrangler was $8900 new back in '94 and I could easily sell it for $5500 in the seattle/Spokane area. My wifes LJ is also holding its value extremely well(still worth 3/4 what we paid for it in 04). comfort wise, the GC would be the winner if resale does not matter much. Gary
HammerLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:26 AM   #65

We still have our '05 LJ, we got it with 10 miles on the clock. Now has 63,000, I've done some pretty wild trails with it in stock form. A few times I should of had our '73 CJ5 instead.

With all that said: Nothing beats the ride and drive of our '14 Grand Cherokee Overland diesel. All leather interior, heated and ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, auto headlamps (on/off, high/low), auto wipers, full air ride suspension (which lowers down automatically for entry/exit) and can raise 3" (above ride height) at the push of a button. 420 ft lbs of torque and over 20 mpg in town. Seat heater/ventilation turns on automatic when starting the engine, dependent upon outside temps.

Hard to beat to ultimate in cushy comfort. Which I doubt I'll off road anywhere but Moab. Of course I said that about our '05 Grand as well, it only took 5 hours to polish the scratches out.

As far as holding value, the Wrangler always wins.

We still have our '05 Grand Cherokee Limited Hemi as well. 164,000 with an extra 50,000 flat towed miles. It was the top of the line model in '05.

Book on Grand $8000, window sticker was $41,000

Book on Wrangler $16,000, window sticker $23,000
Old 03-03-2014, 11:29 AM   #66

I still think that the LJ is going to be a collector later on, kind of like the scrambler is now. ( but the LJ is much better looking than the scrambler). We are heading to moab in September, it will be our first time there.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:48 AM   #67

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerLane View Post
I still think that the LJ is going to be a collector later on, kind of like the scrambler is now. ( but the LJ is much better looking than the scrambler). We are heading to moab in September, it will be our first time there.
I've been there in September. It is a GREAT time of year to go. If your into trail riding there isn't much that compares to Moab. Do yourself a favor get one of these 4x4 and SUV Books : Guide to Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails (2nd Edition) Cover Price: $29.95
There are places in town that sell the books as well. Be sure and get he 2nd edition of the book (it has GPS waypoints right next to the maps) if you adventurous like me, you will end up using them.(5 miles from town there is NO cell service) Some trails are a little harder to follow, but don't let that keep you from looking around.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:03 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
I've been there in September. It is a GREAT time of year to go. If your into trail riding there isn't much that compares to Moab. Do yourself a favor get one of these 4x4 and SUV Books : Guide to Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails (2nd Edition) Cover Price: $29.95
There are places in town that sell the books as well. Be sure and get he 2nd edition of the book (it has GPS waypoints right next to the maps) if you adventurous like me, you will end up using them.(5 miles from town there is NO cell service) Some trails are a little harder to follow, but don't let that keep you from looking around.
Great tip. Have made a note of this guide book already. There's probably more trails around Moab than we have in the entire UK and less mud as well!
Old 03-04-2014, 04:11 PM   #69

UKGuy, Have you thought about the Toyota FJ as a possible candidate ? They seem to be very capable off road and have a ton of standard features that us jeep guys would love to have on our rigs. I am not sure if they can be flat towed or not though?
Old 03-05-2014, 05:46 AM   #70

Toyota FJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerLane View Post
UKGuy, Have you thought about the Toyota FJ as a possible candidate ? They seem to be very capable off road and have a ton of standard features that us jeep guys would love to have on our rigs. I am not sure if they can be flat towed or not though?
Hadn't crossed my mind. Don't really see them in the UK, seen loads in the Middle East. FJ forum says they can be flat-towed so when we eventually start looking seriously, I will certainly bear the FJ in mind. Friend of mine swears by his Land Cruiser and it's a least 15 years old. Certainly can't argue with Toyota build quality.