Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2007, 02:16 AM   #1

I have a question... the Vitari is clipped at 55 miles per hour for toad use. When I talked to the sales person he said that was because that was the legal speed to tow. Do you Vitari folks tow at higher speeds? I was looking at it because it is so easy to set up to Tow.
campernut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2007, 02:16 AM   #2

I have a question... the Vitari is clipped at 55 miles per hour for toad use. When I talked to the sales person he said that was because that was the legal speed to tow. Do you Vitari folks tow at higher speeds? I was looking at it because it is so easy to set up to Tow.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:41 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Most sales people, and most dealerships for that matter, are clueless about towing, as they encounter it rarely.

I believe some manufacturers haven't tested their vehicles being towed, so they come up with some arbitrary limits. CYA, ya know?

I doubt that many owners restrict their speed to 55 MPH.

However, the Vitari speed limit may have some basis.

Hopefully we have someone towing one who can comment.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:42 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

We have owned two of them and towed them about 50k miles altogether. Towed at whatever speed we wanted to drive, which was typically 55-70 mph. Always stopped and did the 200 mile (more or less) engine run-up, though. We usually stop every 200-250 miles anyway and its no big deal to go back and exercise the engine/tranny a bit.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 03:04 AM   #5

thanks for your answers. I was thinking that but wasn't sure. Just concerned about the warranty on it. I know that the computer inside records your speeds.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:36 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I know that the computer inside records your speeds. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That information is there but generally not accessible to service technicians and rarely ever used for warranty reasons. Usually it gets extracted only if there is a major legal dispute, e.g. an accident.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:07 PM   #7

ok thanks...good to know.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:49 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 2004 XL-7. We have always towed at legal highway speeds, 55-70 mph. and no problems as of present. We also stop every 200 mi. or so and go thru the starting and shifting thru gears process. No problem, we usually take a break at the same time.
Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 06:30 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I have an 06 GV...I tow at approx. 60 to 65 mph with my 40' DIP...tows great...I also stop every 200 miles or so to run the engine up...but as stated, it's about when we stop anyway. My dealer also told me the 55mph is a CYA for Suzuki....
teofff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 11:22 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My dealer also told me the 55mph is a CYA for Suzuki....

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is this true for Honda CRVs' 65 mph limit as well?

Inquiring minds want to know ....
rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 12:34 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

The issue with towing is heat accumulation in the torque converter and lack of lubrication in internal parts, either transmission or 4WD transfer case. The engineers make some assumptions about how long you might tow and at what speeds and then generate some SWAGs about how much heat build-up and metal wear will occur over time and what effect that might have on tranny and transfer case reliability (read "warranty costs"). Then they pick some limit numbers they feel safe with.

So calling it a CYA is both correct and misleading. There is no magic number, e.g. 65 mph is OK and 66 is not. You are always wearing things a bit when you tow and at some point it will become a problem. Odds are you could exceed any of the limits or recommendations and not have a problem, at least not very soon. But if you live on the edge and exceed all of them all of the time, your chances of a problem become sooner and more likely.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:15 PM   #12

rv roamer...thank you that was quite informative. Still leary over my Jeep experience.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:08 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Roamer:
I agree with you, but it makes me wonder why does jeep have no speed limit or distance constraints??
teofff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 05:49 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
We toad a Chevy Tracker(made by Suzi) and now tow a Suzi XL7. We tow at the speeds legal. We also stop and exercise the transmission around 200 miles. We have never had a problem except a wheel seal on the Tracker which was installed wrong at the factory.

I don't knoow how one would build up heat in the torque converter as the 4 wheel drive is put into neutral and the transmission is in park! I caannot even see how the computer could record speed as the speedometer is not even turned on in the accessory position. By the way, one doesn't need pull any fuses and the running of the engine through the gears as recommended keeps the battery charged.