Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:11 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
I am curious as to how much weight is added to the GVCW if one is flat towing (4 wheel down) to a coach? My coach (Ford F53)has (I think)a 22,000# GVCWR and a 20,000# GVWR. The toad weighs 4100#. T hitch 5000#

2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2008, 06:11 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I am curious as to how much weight is added to the GVCW if one is flat towing (4 wheel down) to a coach? My coach (Ford F53)has (I think)a 22,000# GVCWR and a 20,000# GVWR. The toad weighs 4100#. T hitch 5000#

2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:41 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Bill if I understand you correctly your GROSS COMBINED VEHICLE WEIGHT RATING IS #22,000 and your GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT RATING is #20,000 that means you can tow a #2,000 toad, no matter what the hitch rating is. You would have load your chassis to #17,900 to accomadate your rig. Hope I explained myself clearly.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:38 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Bill, when it comes to towing you need to lok at the weakest link in the chain. That will be your towing limit.

First of all, GVWR is Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. That's how heavy your coach can be after adding the CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity) to an empty coach.

GCWR is Gross Combined Weight Rating. This means that it's the combined, or total, weight of both your RV and anything that you are towing.

According to the Winnebago spec sheet for your year you have a 20,500 lb GVWR. Unfortunately, in that year they do not show the GCWR on the brochure. However, it should be on a placard inside the vehicle - typically on the backside of a cabinet door or else in the bedroom closet. I don't know exactly what your GCWR is but I'm thinking the 22,000 lbs is not high enough. My 2003 33V had a 20,700 lb GVWR and a 26,000 lb GCWR. A 22K GCWR just seems to be the wrong number to me.

In addition your hitch is rated at 5K. "IF" your GVWR is 26K and your coach is fully loaded at it's 20,500 lb maximum GVWR then you'd be able to pull 4,500 lbs. If your GCWR is lower, say 24K, then you'd be limited to 2,500 lbs. The GCWR reflects the ability of the engine and transmission to safely pull that much load without failure as well as the ability of the RV's brakes to safely stop that much weight. So, you don't want to exceed this.

It should also be noted that if you don't load your coach up to it's fully rated GVWR then you can add that to your towing capacity. AS long as you don't exceed the GCWR it doesn't matter where that weight is, in the toad or the RV. However, you don't want to exceed your hitch capacity either.

I'd recommend looking for that weight tag to find out your actual GCWR. If you can't find it, I'd call Winnebago and ask them to look it up (you may need to have your VIN number handy when calling them). The next thing is to have your RV weighed when it's fully loaded. Once you have all those numbers you'll be able to do the math and see what you can safely pull.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:40 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cruzer:
Bill, when it comes to towing you need to lok at the weakest link in the chain. That will be your towing limit.

First of all, GVWR is Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. That's how heavy your coach can be after adding the CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity) to an empty coach.

GCWR is Gross Combined Weight Rating. This means that it's the combined, or total, weight of both your RV and anything that you are towing.

According to the Winnebago spec sheet for your year you have a 20,500 lb GVWR. Unfortunately, in that year they do not show the GCWR on the brochure. However, it should be on a placard inside the vehicle - typically on the backside of a cabinet door or else in the bedroom closet. I don't know exactly what your GCWR is but I'm thinking the 22,000 lbs is not high enough. My 2003 33V had a 20,700 lb GVWR and a 26,000 lb GCWR, although it was a Workhorse W20, not a Ford. Still, a 22K GCWR just seems to be the wrong number to me.

In addition your hitch is rated at 5K. "IF" your GVWR is 26K and your coach is fully loaded at it's 20,500 lb maximum GVWR then you'd be able to pull 4,500 lbs. If your GCWR is lower, say 24K, then you'd be limited to 2,500 lbs. The GCWR reflects the ability of the engine and transmission to safely pull that much load without failure as well as the ability of the RV's brakes to safely stop that much weight. So, you don't want to exceed this.

It should also be noted that if you don't load your coach up to it's fully rated GVWR then you can add that to your towing capacity. As long as you don't exceed the GCWR it doesn't matter where that weight is, in the toad or the RV. However, you don't want to exceed your hitch capacity either.

I'd recommend looking for that weight tag to find out your actual GCWR. If you can't find it, I'd call Winnebago and ask them to look it up (you may need to have your VIN number handy when calling them). The next thing is to have your RV weighed when it's fully loaded. Once you have all those numbers you'll be able to do the math and see what you can safely pull. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote