Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2013, 07:52 AM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Has anybody done this.

My master tow dolly has fixed ramps and with the car I am going to tow, it is obvious that the ramps at some point in time will hit the bottom of the car. I am going to shorten them.
Has anybody done this?
I know that by shorting the ramps the angle will increase making it much steeper. I am looking at possibly a removable section.
I have a fabrication welding experience, so that part is not a problem.
I'm a little stump on design and how much to cut off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0025.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	291.4 KB
ID:	42731  
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2013, 08:00 AM   #2
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
I had a tow dolly for a few years. never had an issue. I have never heard of anyone who did.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:14 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
If you are concerned with the ramps hitting the undercarriage while the car is loaded and ready for or during tow. How about adding a spacer of some sort under the tires to raise the car up.
With out seeing your dolly and car setup. I would be concerned with shortening the ramps now your front spoiler will contact when putting the car on or off of the dolly. If you use external extentions then you must store them somewhere. IMHO its a pain.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:01 AM   #4

Why not raise your hitch? or a reciever with lift?
Old 07-21-2013, 09:06 AM   #5
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Raising the hitch would lower the ramps and create a possible new issue of ramps dragging.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:12 AM   #6

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbike View Post
If you are concerned with the ramps hitting the undercarriage while the car is loaded and ready for or during tow. How about adding a spacer of some sort under the tires to raise the car up.
With out seeing your dolly and car setup. I would be concerned with shortening the ramps now your front spoiler will contact when putting the car on or off of the dolly. If you use external extentions then you must store them somewhere. IMHO its a pain.
Did you read the question? What spoiler are you talking about? The car has none. I am not concerned with loading or unloading. The car I am hauling is a very short wheel based car. IE sports car with no back seat which makes the ramps, as they are long extend half the distance of the wheel base.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #7

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I will start agian

Some dolly's have sliding ramps. Mine does not. Is there anybody who has shortened or modified the ramps to be removed on the first mentioned dolly?

Forget the reason why I want to do this, I obviously confused some people. My apologies.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by narampa View Post

Did you read the question? What spoiler are you talking about? The car has none. I am not concerned with loading or unloading. The car I am hauling is a very short wheel based car. IE sports car with no back seat which makes the ramps, as they are long extend half the distance of the wheel base.
I think the poster was just concerned about the fact that once you cut the ramps shorter, the front of the vehicle comes into contact with the ramp before the tires reach the ramp. In many cases today, the cars are designed with a lower "spoiler" for aerodynamics.

What about a rubber bumper at the base of the ramp? That would cushion if contact was made.
I think if you cut the ramps, you would have to carry something to bring back the proper slope to get on. Or, make the ramps detachable, however, you would have to stow them somewhere when traveling.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #9

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
I think the poster was just concerned about the fact that once you cut the ramps shorter, the front of the vehicle comes into contact with the ramp before the tires reach the ramp. In many cases today, the cars are designed with a lower "spoiler" for aerodynamics.

What about a rubber bumper at the base of the ramp? That would cushion if contact was made.
I think if you cut the ramps, you would have to carry something to bring back the proper slope to get on. Or, make the ramps detachable, however, you would have to stow them somewhere when traveling.
You are exactly correct. I know the possibility's that you suggest are things that I'm concerned about. That is why I was hoping to hear from somebody who has done this.
I know I will have to compensate some how and carry something. I just think the car is capable of running up something steeper.
With the gradual slope of the ramps I now have, my 86 year old mother could climb it with a loaded wheel barrow of cement. I have very high clearance on the front of the car. Seems these ramps were disigned for Corvettes to pickup trucks.
I'm going to wait till the last minute before cutting the ramps maybe somebody who has done this will read my thread.
I will have it apart soon for sandblasting and paint I will leave the ramps for last.
Maybe there is a formula to figger out the max angle the ramps can be before they hit the front.
I think I will us some blocking and simulate it before I cut.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:33 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you shorten the ramps, they will be a steeper grade to get up and may hit the front air dam on the auto or be impossible to load in the rain.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:06 PM   #11

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
If you shorten the ramps, they will be a steeper grade to get up and may hit the front air dam on the auto or be impossible to load in the rain.

Ken
The angle should not be a problem as the car is a rear wheel drive.
The dolly will also be used for other things besides behind the motor home.
I am also going to be adding a hand winch as there are vehicles without power trains that I will be moving. I thought of electric but that would be overkill for the small cars I will move.
Anyway I have figgered out a way to test to see if my idea will work and I am going to cut the ramps and they will go together again with inserts which will attach with pins if I ever require longer ramps.
Dolly is all apart ready for paint prep.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PICT0004.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	42790   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0006.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	249.1 KB
ID:	42791  

Name:	PICT0002.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	225.2 KB
ID:	42792  
Old 07-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
I towed a 1979 VW bug for several years without a problem. The VW was a convertable so the side channels were larger than the regular bug. I know the ramps look very close to the underside of the vehicle but as far as I know they never hit. If they had hit I would expect some damage to the edge of the ramp.
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

Hi Narampa,
I have the same tow dolly.I have towed my 2012 Hyundai Accent for 3000 to 4000 miles in all kinds of situations and have never had an issue.Good Luck and Many Safe and Happy Miles and Smiles.

P.S.Like someone else posted you may have a hard time loading if you cut off very much.JMHO
Old 07-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cut the ramps or just remove them and carry some RhinoRamps:
Welcome to RhinoRamps®

The EZE-Tow comes with these as original equipment. No rust, light weight, very wide, works for any car or truck and EZE to use. The only downside is that a hard acceleration with a front wheel drive car on gravel or dirt surfaces can cause the ramps to slip back away from the dolly. But an easy foot on the accelerator and loading is no problem.
You don't want to drive over the dolly anyway.

Best of luck.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote