Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:58 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Unfortunately, I made the mistake of attaching the breakaway switch to the car's bodywork. That would work fine if the toad became disconnected from both the tow bar and the safety cables; but since the whole front of the car got pulled off, the breakaway switch went too and didn't trip to apply the car's brakes. Fortunately, we were going very slowly at the time, and the car drifted safely to a stop and didn't hit anything. When I replaced the baseplate and repaired the car, I made sure the breakaway switch was attached to the car's FRAME. Wow, that would certainly make a person take a big Gulp.... Both of my BlueOx Base Plates were supplied with Safety Cables along with instructions on putting them through the base plate and the chassis. At first I thought is was Over Kill,,, Now I see why.
Dennis

What happened to cause the front of the car to come off? Was it a tow plate issue or poor installation? What kind of toad was it? Is there an issue we all need to be aware of? Could your breakaway issue have been prevented? It scares me when I hear stories like this without knowing what caused it. Please share a few more details if you can.

Randy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2013, 12:35 AM   #30
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
We have a KarKatty, when we stop @ A rest area one of us stays with the coach, same while @ a stop for a pop or Candie bar. We still check the straps and look at the pins to be sure they are still there. Safety chains looped around frame of toad. I can't believe that someone would be so thoughtless to sabotage someones personal property.
Us too...but with an Acme Eze-Tow. Can't be TOO cautious.

Break-away system is on the dolly brakes, there's safety chains from the dolly to the RV, and safety chains from the dolly to the toad.

We really don't worry about the dolly breaking away from the RV, but in a collision, who knows? And, we have actually seen cars attempt to lane change in-between the RV and the dingy

Safe travels

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:39 AM   #31

Note to self, stay far away from huge motorhomes with towed vehicles behind when ever possible.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:23 AM   #32
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
...Both of my BlueOx Base Plates were supplied with Safety Cables along with instructions on putting them through the base plate and the chassis. At first I thought is was Over Kill,,, Now I see why.
The original baseplate that broke did not come with the permanent safety cables, but now all Blue Ox baseplates do. Apparently, welds break more often than one would think.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:36 AM   #33
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwillbeit View Post
What happened to cause the front of the car to come off? Was it a tow plate issue or poor installation? What kind of toad was it? Is there an issue we all need to be aware of? Could your breakaway issue have been prevented? It scares me when I hear stories like this without knowing what caused it. Please share a few more details if you can.

Randy
The car in the photo was a 2006 Saturn Vue. The welds on the baseplate broke from fatigue. When the baseplate let go, it pulled the whole front fascia off the car - safety cables and all.

Blue Ox now supplies permanent, short safety cables that wrap around the baseplate and around the car's frame. The cables are not visible or accessible and are installed when the baseplate is first installed and left in place at all times. The permanent safety cables provide a secondary method of attachment of the baseplate to the car in the event the welds break of if the attachment bolts let go. They won't help if the tow bar becomes detached. That's what the regular safety cables are for.

The other thing I mentioned for safety is making sure the breakaway switch is attached to the car's frame, not the bodywork, bumper or to the baseplate itself.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:49 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubey View Post
Note to self, stay far away from huge motorhomes with towed vehicles behind when ever possible.
ALSO cars and pickups towing boats, or other trailers, trucks with loose cargo, etc. etc. etc.

One of the most memorable things I ever saw was a large car/truck engine sitting on a small trailer behind a beat up old pickup truck. Pickup and trailer going about 70 mph on I-75 somewhere around the Atlanta, Ga area. The pickup/trailer traveled over a bridge end bump and the engine just rose straight up like a magician was levitating the engine. It all happened in slow motion. The engine arced slowly up and then like someone dunked a basketball, the engine rushed down hitting the pavement and started to come apart. Cars traveling behind the truck/trailer started to scatter all over the place as engine parts started to strike cars. I looked up just in time to see the main chunk of the engine bounce and then like a football the engine took off at an angle careening over the steel guardrail and then striking a aluminum light pole. The pole broke and the top of the pole fell right in my wheel path shattering and scattering glass and aluminum parts. Somehow I missed hitting anything!

So...you are correct; "Note to self, stay far away from huge motorhomes with towed vehicles behind when ever possible." and add trailers or Beverly Hillbillies type pickup trucks to that list!
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:44 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Yes.

The toad hitch snapped clean off at the MH hitch while they were driving through town. The safety cables held so it did not totally separate and auto-engage the toad brakes. What was left of the hitch bashed into the rear of the MH.

He said if he had been at highway speed the toad would have totally separated and the toad brakes would have stopped the toad. Otherwise the toad would have been loose in traffic.
CampDaven
IF safety cables, or chains, are heavy enough, and IF they are attached properly, (aka: legal to use when towing your toad), the toad will NOT separate from the coach, (even if the toad hitch "snaps clean off").

A breakaway "braking system" on a toad is the "last line of defense", (it only comes into play when all else fails).

BTW, if one tows with no auxiliary braking system on their toad, (as many do), there is no breakaway braking system!

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 11-30-2013, 09:27 AM   #36

I somewhat lost a trailer once, so I can relate. But I had safety chains that did their job. I had a small utility trailer loaded down with junk appliances on the way to recycling and I forgot some track tracks ahead were rough. I hit the brakes some but I was still going a little too fast.

I don't know if it was the coupler's fault for being worth out or what but I ended up with a dent and scratch on my truck's tailgate. I sold the truck later on that way for my (not very low) asking price without fixing it though. I promptly replaced the coupler.

What's scary is not everyone uses safety chains on trailers, and not just on redneck looking trucks. Also they don't always hook them up like they should with the criss-cross pattern meant to catch the coupler and cradle it (as I understand it). It might be more for even pulling of the trailer if the coupler comes off.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:52 AM   #37

This topic raises (in my mind) a potential flaw in base plate design. My base plate, at least.

I have spent the last 2 weekends setting up my Equinox for towing which included a baseplate on the front and a hitch on the rear (for towing a boat).

The design of the baseplate uses a 2-inch square cross-member welded (square) to the end plates.

The rear hitch uses a similar 2-inch square cross member but it passes THROUGH the end plate and is welded where it passes through with approximately 1 inch of cross member protruding each end.

If the weld on the baseplate fails, it will detach from the end plate(s) but in order for the hitch to detach, the weld must fail AND the 3/8 steel plate must also break.

In addition, the action of tightening the end plates to 75-90 ft/pounds of torque is probably already putting that weld under stress due to production tolerances.

My baseplate is Blue Ox with a Blue Ox Aventa II tow bar.

chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:15 PM   #38

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by so47 View Post
Locks on everyplace that takes a pin. Better safe than sorry.
I'm very glad I DID NOT have locks in my pins this summer so I could get loose from this Kia

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1556007033.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	567.7 KB
ID:	51040

As it was it was hard enough to get disconnected without having to fiddle with a key in a lock.

I check my pins every time we stop where there are other humans before we take off and I can see the keepers and pins in my camera.
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #39

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chawkins99 View Post
This topic raises (in my mind) a potential flaw in base plate design. My base plate, at least.

I have spent the last 2 weekends setting up my Equinox for towing which included a baseplate on the front and a hitch on the rear (for towing a boat).

The design of the baseplate uses a 2-inch square cross-member welded (square) to the end plates.

The rear hitch uses a similar 2-inch square cross member but it passes THROUGH the end plate and is welded where it passes through with approximately 1 inch of cross member protruding each end.

If the weld on the baseplate fails, it will detach from the end plate(s) but in order for the hitch to detach, the weld must fail AND the 3/8 steel plate must also break.

In addition, the action of tightening the end plates to 75-90 ft/pounds of torque is probably already putting that weld under stress due to production tolerances.
Yes if when you tighten the bolts it pulls on the plates then you are stressing the welds. NOT good.

[QUOTE=paz;1825904]Yep. The baseplate broke at the welds. The tow bar, safety cables, front of the car and the base plate were all still attached to the motorhome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
The original baseplate that broke did not come with the permanent safety cables, but now all Blue Ox baseplates do. Apparently, welds break more often than one would think.
UH NO,..... when done correctly welds are usually stronger than the parent metal. I bet the company that made that baseplate wanted it back, huh?
Did they give you a new one, no questions at all?
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:37 PM   #40

Quote:
Or their lawyers and insurance carrier did not mind charging you more for their peace of mind.
Why don't hitches on the towing vehicle have safety cables to the frames if breaking welds is a problem? Just asking.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:33 PM   #41
paz

[QUOTE=Mekanic;1828183]Yes if when you tighten the bolts it pulls on the plates then you are stressing the welds. NOT good.

Quote:
Yep. The baseplate broke at the welds. The tow bar, safety cables, front of the car and the base plate were all still attached to the motorhome.

UH NO,..... when done correctly welds are usually stronger than the parent metal. I bet the company that made that baseplate wanted it back, huh?
Did they give you a new one, no questions at all?
Actually, it was the steel adjacent to the welds that broke.

Yes, they wanted it back. They paid for a new baseplate and the installation. They would have also paid for the repair to the car, but we were on the road, and I didn't want to wait to get estimates, wait for a check and then wait for repairs. The fascia just snaps on, and I was able to repair it myself. There were a couple of minor paint scrapes that decided I was willing to live with.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:52 PM   #42

Wow! This is a eye opening thread. Think I'll make a couple of changes!
Loren