Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:22 PM   #1

I am mechanically inclined but I am not sure about this one. I would rather do this install myself and not pay $$$ for the install. After looking at the whole kit and what is included without watching the installation DVD, the toad part looks simple. What I am wondering about is the MH side, I would think the MH part would be easier. Has anyone done a installation by themselves and can you shed some light on the install.

RV 4 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2007, 12:22 PM   #2

I am mechanically inclined but I am not sure about this one. I would rather do this install myself and not pay $$$ for the install. After looking at the whole kit and what is included without watching the installation DVD, the toad part looks simple. What I am wondering about is the MH side, I would think the MH part would be easier. Has anyone done a installation by themselves and can you shed some light on the install.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:24 PM   #3

We bought a US Gear Unified Tow Brake 3 years ago because of all the positive comments on this forum. During that time it has worked correctly about 10% of our travel time, caused us extreme stress, and disrupted several trips. We had it installed at Charlie Echols RV Center, a Workhorse service center and a US Gear distributor, and they have made several attempts to make it work correctly. We have visited three other dealers during our travels and each has tried to fix the problems and/or replaced parts that have burned out due to faulty wiring or bad connections.

We have been told "the wiring is one of the best I have seen" and "this is the worst wiring job I have ever seen".

Sometimes it does not disengage the car's brakes, sometimes it just beeps and tells us we have no toad brakes. Sometimes it tells us everything is fine, but we actually have no toad brakes. US Gear has said the problem is the installation wiring.

CW said they stopped selling US Gear because of the sensitive wiring issues. I tend to agree with them.

So, now, we are ready to head out for the summer, and are still dealing with trying to get the US Gear system to work. I guess our only option is to have the entire system yanked out and reinstalled... but should we continue to throw money into it? It is great when it works...

I'm ready to toss it and start over with another brake system.

Our homes on the road
JudyandJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 02:05 AM   #4

I'am on the second coach with this braking system, first one installed in Holland Mi. by Holland Motor Homes. Midway Motor Homes transfered the coach unit to my new motor home and the Chrysler garage transfered the Jeep part from the old Jeep to the new Jeep.
I have over 45,000 miles on the US Gear Braking System and it works great.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:37 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I installed ours myself and while it wasn't difficult for me (I am a professional auto. technician) it was time consuming. I think all in all I probably spent about 10 hours doing the whole thing over the course of several days. That includes the coach wiring, toad wiring (including rear lighting which isn't part of the US Gear system) and installation of the operational components into the toad.

I followed the instructions closely, watched the video a few times and made sure all of the wiring was correct, complete and secure.

We've been using the system now since last Fall with no problems whatsoever. I really like how there's no setup except to plug in the electrical connector on the front of the car. Also, since the system links the coach and toad's electrical systems there's no need to pull any fuses. We've never had a battery run-down issue on the toad.

I'm surprised to hear of the problems that JudyandJim have had. I hope you get it straightened out one way or another.

I like the system, but it isn't "easy" to install.

Someone else here on the forum did a complete installation write-up with photos a while back. I think it was "oemtech". Try doing a search and you'll most likely find it.
Horsepowerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 06:43 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Found it.

CLICK HERE
Horsepowerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 07:31 AM   #7

Horsepowerfan, Thank you for your experience and link to the write up.
Even though it is easier to 'pay' someone to install this (and probably quicker too), and I know my time is worth money but I feel that I could still save money even if it took me longer to do it. I guess I need to see what it would cost to have it installed on the coach side and look at the install DVD before making a final decision.
I have two friends that have this system and they really like the system and have had no problems either. I really hope JudyandJim get their issues solved also.
Thanks again.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:47 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I guess I need to see what it would cost </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
RV 4 2 : I paid the selling dealer $400.00 labor to install the complete system. Two years later he charged me another $400.00 to reinstall the car side only (this did not include removal from the former toad). I have never had a problem with my USG and it has worked well (in two different toads) for almost 55,000 miles. Seems to me the coach side components will be far more simple to install than all the parts needed on the car. Good luck, ED
Old 05-31-2007, 11:52 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by edgray:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I guess I need to see what it would cost </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
RV 4 2 : I paid the selling dealer $400.00 labor to install the complete system. Two years later he charged me another $400.00 to reinstall the car side only (this did not include removal from the former toad). I have never had a problem with my USG and it has worked well (in two different toads) for almost 55,000 miles. Seems to me the coach side components will be far more simple to install than all the parts needed on the car. Good luck, ED </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You may have seen some of my posts RE: the US Gear and My blue ox "installs". I took my time and did NOT proceed until I was sure on each item! Took about 18-20 hours for everything over several weekends (3). It was well worth it!

Please be sure that you have a good ground! Otherwise you will get "strange behaviors" (e.g. It works then it doesn't etc.)

I got the US Gear, Blue Ox Base plate, Aladdin Towbar, Lights kit (works off MH not Toad), and hook-up kit for $1700.00(to my door). I figure my time netted about $40.00/hour so I am quite pleased.

It takes about 5 minutes to Hookup/Unhook the rig. It gives a go/nogo indication on the panel.

Life is good!
Old 05-31-2007, 03:19 PM   #10

I installed one a few years ago; bought it in Quartzsite, installed it in our cousins driveway in Yuma in two half days. The worst part was crawling under the dash in the Explorer! It would have been nice to have a DVD to show me how back then, but the paper instructions were pretty good.
Worked fair the first year, the selling dealer came out to my vehicle the next year and readjusted the brake connection, worked fine for two trips then stopped working completely. Over the phone we discovered the control box had a burned chip, they sent a new one and it has worked great for the last several years. I really do like the 'plug and play' feature.
I am happy with it now.
Loren
Old 06-01-2007, 04:19 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
RV 4 2,
I've had my US Gear system for 2 years. It works as advertised and I would make the same purchase again.

JudyandJim,
park_ridge_dave has the answer to your problem. The dealer installing mine had the same symptons mentioned in your post. It took them 2 days to get the ground(s) correct. Once that was completed, the system has worked perfectly.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 06:38 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I have installed the unit in 2 cars. The unit works great. Took me about 8 Hours to install. I was a Mechanic and is simple for me. But the instructions and cd make it simple for most people. Take your time and follow the steps. Should be a better job if you do it yourself. If you need help just e mail me and i will answer your questions.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:04 AM   #13

Thank you all for your words of encouragement and your experiences. It sure seems like I can do this without issues. UPS 34, thanks for the offer. Hopefully I will not have any problems. All that is left to buy is the kit itself and the doide kit for the lights. Then it is the install part for the Saturn VUE over several weekends. Oh and buying a MH within the next couple months for the other half of the install..LOL
DANG there is a lot to do when going from a 5er to a MH with a toad.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:16 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Oh and buying a MH within the next couple months for the other half of the install..LOL </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
WOW. Talk about putting the cart before the horse. I believe in being prepared, but you are taking it to a new level.