Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:48 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm looking to go to a "city toad" (our current Scion xA) and a "country toad" . . . perhaps a CJ3B Jeep.

Had a CJ3B back in the '70's --- had more fun with that little 4x4 than any of the dozen or so I've ever owned!

I do recall, however, that 50 to 55 MPH was a pretty good top speed for the little critter - and a noisy one at that (gear noise). Makes me wonder if towing one at 60 to 65 MPH would present a problem.

Any thoughts?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2008, 03:48 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm looking to go to a "city toad" (our current Scion xA) and a "country toad" . . . perhaps a CJ3B Jeep.

Had a CJ3B back in the '70's --- had more fun with that little 4x4 than any of the dozen or so I've ever owned!

I do recall, however, that 50 to 55 MPH was a pretty good top speed for the little critter - and a noisy one at that (gear noise). Makes me wonder if towing one at 60 to 65 MPH would present a problem.

Any thoughts?

Old 09-26-2008, 08:37 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Warren & Debbie:

If you want to tow an older jeep CJ, it all depends on the transfer case. The older CJ's used a model 18 which can be towed in neutral for as long has it has oil in it with no restrictions. The Newer jeeps with a model 20 can be towed in neutral with the front hubs in gauged to keep the transfer case oiled. The CJ's with a Dana model 300 can not be towed without disconnecting the rear drive shaft.

I believe the Dana Model 300 came out in the late 70's. The Model 18 was used into the 60's and the model 20 was used in the 60.s and 70's. My 1960 CJ-5 came with a model 18 and my 1975 CJ-6 came with a model 20.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:57 AM   #4

I would not recommend towing a 3B at highway speeds. Axles would still be spinning even though transfer case is in neutral. Those old axles were not built for 70 MPH. Friend of mine has a restored 3B and 50 is his top speed and it doesn't like that real well. I would trailer it. Then use it as a run-about at your destination going no faster than 40-45. Or you could get a 97-06 Wrangler for a great toad. Probably the oldest Jeep that could be safely a highway speed toad would be a CJ5.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:16 AM   #5

Most of the "older" jeeps (2A, 3A, 3B) had 5:38 to 1 ring and pinion sets. The engines in those vehicles were long stroke four cylinders with little bottom end, thus the requirement for a high gear ratio. With this gear ratio, the engine would run out of RPM at about 50 to 55. Most of the gear whine that you heard actually came from the transmissions which were spinning as fast as they could. By placing the transfer case in neutral you eliminate the transmission and engine from turning. The axles really don't care how fast they are spinning, and the ring and pinion sets (front and rear)are not carrying a load. I have raced Jeeps with 5:38 to 1 rear gears at over 120 mph and they hold up fine. Just be sure to tow the Jeep with the transfer case in neutral.

Happy Off Roading
Dave&Kacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 03:34 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you really want to do it right. Replace the rear axles with the full floating type. Then install Warn (or equal) locking hubs on the rear wheels.

Wish I could do the same.

George

cvrvr is offline   Reply With Quote